Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-16-2019
Geek

I made a wooden mount that is horizontal and about 6-inches back in the hole (removed the old heavy metal piece). It is anchored by pieces at each end that come forward to the plywood. To that I put a standard scissor mount tv bracket. If you look closely at the image below you can see that there are two black plastic tabs at the top that swing down in front of the upper TV bezel. They are stiffly mounted, so won't turn on their own.

The TV used, Samsung UN40J5200 40-Inch 1080p Smart LED TV, is larger screen than original, but fits tightly in the space. It is shorter top-to-bottom, so the roughly 3/4-inch spacers that were on the bottom snap-in cover were removed. The TV has speakers on its bottom that are muffled, so you can barely see a soundbar below the TV, mounted forward of the snap-in cover so it is still removable.

Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 05-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
If you have an original plasma monitor (it wasn't really a TV) it weighs about 50 lbs. I had a friend hold it up while I released the latches. Do you know how the latches work?
Fortunately, the PO had the fun of getting the plasma out. He replaced it with a 40" Samsung and a new mount that I haven't been able to see yet. I do see pull strings, but also some redneck engineered plumbers strap fastened between the TV and wood braces along the bottom of the overhead cabinet. Hoping when I unscrew the strap, the strings will release the mount without the whole thing crashing down. I'll post pics once I get the TV out.

All of this to plug in an HDMI cable for my Apple TV!!

Carolyn: You're following the usual learning pattern of a new owner. No matter how much you read and/or use the "search" function, sometimes you're just going to have to ask. Most WOGers will chime in because we all want an engaged community of owners who are invested in keeping these treasures up-to-date.
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile
Old 05-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebraggblue View Post
We had to take the TV down in order to see behind it. It was heavy and bolted to two huge metal slabs. But, we did get it out. Regarding the replacement TV, has anyone one found a good extending, lock in place replacement holder for the TV. We would hate for it to rattle loose and fall but would like the convenience of being able to extend out if need be.

Many thanks!

Carolyn
I built an over-engineered mount from aluminum plate and bar stock for the Samsung that replaced the original Plasma monitor. I salvaged the original mounting posts, sockets and locking bars so there is no concern about the new LED TV staying in place. See the attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_ FINIS - new Samsung UH40N6350 HD LED TV in M380 (2).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	61982  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf _Samsung UN40H6350 - M380 mounting system project binder.pdf (635.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-17-2019

My front Samsung TV mount from Costco less elegant than Dans with no engineering required , but has worked perfectly almost 4 years. Mount has two concealed string pulls and needs no Red Neck straps. Find info HERE. Clicked on Costco link from that post and it doesn’t show the mount. Bet you can find one like it though.

When I first got coach I ripped out almost everything in the front overhead. There’s a pic from one of the Q rallys with wires & cables hanging out everywhere. Old boxes went to good homes during that bird gathering. Almost time to do it again . Technology marches on!

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=24454
Old 05-17-2019

I mounted my flat panel, using the original steel pins mounted to 1/2” plywood, works good.
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 05-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
I mounted my flat panel, using the original steel pins mounted to 1/2” plywood, works good.
I did the same when I installed a 40" Sony smart TV in the front.
Jeep TJ Toad - LS 5.3 swap in process
Old 05-17-2019

PO replaced both the TV's on my bus, they are larger than the openings, so he attached a piece of 3/4" ply about 2" wide in the top of the opening, recessed the thickness of the wall, Gorilla or epoxy glued a matching piece to the back top of the TV, then screwed piano hinge to both so TV will swing up. A Velcro tab at the bottom holds it in place. Pretty crude, I know, but it looks fine with the TV down.
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 05-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
Do you know how the latches work?
OK, Don -- officially calling for help. Looks like the PO may have reused the original plasma mounting bracket for the Samsung, then added the plumber's strap as extra security. I've removed the strap and pulled the strings and can feel the bottom swing out a few degrees so I know it's unlatched. I just can't figure out where to go from there. Does it just lift off? The fit is so tight between the top of the TV and the cabinet that I don't have much room to either swing or lift. They obviously had to get it on the bracket somehow so I know there has to be a way to get it off. Any help describing the original bracket operation would be appreciated.

Carolyn -- obviously, I'm not going to be able to add much to the quest for the antenna wire right now since I can't get my TV out to see what's behind there.

Jim
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile
Old 05-17-2019
Geek

The original did not have strings, at least on mine nor on Dan and Cindy's, looking at the pictures in his PDF file. Instead there are two metal pieces, one on each side, that have a pair of keyholes that grab the grooves in the four mounting posts.

The metal pieces are a couple of inches wide, and have a 90-degree bend at the bottom so they stick out two holes in the bottom of the plywood. You pull down, and the TV then can be removed by pulling straight out. You can see the edge of the metal pieces in the last photo in the PDF, just below the two bottom corners of his back piece.

If there are strings I would bet on an aftermarket change.

The antenna wires are very unlikely to be behind the TV, except for the cable that goes to the A-B switch. The antenna and cable wires should come from the left side of the overhead. Most of what is behind the TV is electrical wiring, unless it is like mine where there are many added cables for ethernet, inverter controller, etc.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 05-18-2019
Ed

Default Pics of M380 rats nest with TV down

We did manage to get the TV down finally as I previously mentioned. Some asked for pics so I am attaching a few. Still sorting through trying to figure out which of these cords runs from the exterior hook up for cable/satellite since hooking up from outside did not work when we tried it.

Thanks for the many suggestion for remounting the new tv.

Ed and Carolyn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0183.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	62003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0180.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	62004   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg