Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-20-2019
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by al perna View Post
so true about upkeep even when they sit . I did have a full charge on the start batteries but was still getting 16+ to house but nothing to start . I also confirmed no volts to solenoid on upper right side above shunts . I think there must be a fuse or relay between the dash switch and solenoid somewhere , just not sure where and how it is labeled .
Quote:
Thank you John , this has been check and we are all good here . Still overcharging House only batteries. Still nothing going to start batteries from alternator .
Bad internet here at the campground in Colorado so research is limited. For the time being, I'll just assume that your LXi Aux Batt solenoid circuit is similar to a WB.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting "no volts to solenoid" but on a WB, as long as the battery banks are connected, one large terminal is (indirectly) connected to the engine batteries and the other large terminal is (indirectly) connected to the coach batteries so they both have voltage at all times unless the path to a battery bank is open. The diodes also continuously supply voltage to the Aux Batt solenoid coil - a diode for each battery bank. The ground for the solenoid coil is what controls picking up the Aux Batt solenoid.

So... What exactly do you mean by "no volts to solenoid"? Which terminal (or terminals) has no volts?
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 07-20-2019
Forum owner

Al,that big red switch battery switch on the bulkhead,did you check it?
They do go bad.
I'm not sure what it switches,but it needs to be checked.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-20-2019

like Randy said that big manual switch near the batteries muffed on my bus in Q15 and I eliminated it , never used it prior. I went out to the bus today and had my shop guy throw the switch wile I was looking for some noise just to confirm that it is the relay above the batteries. IT Is that solenoid that gets energized. Kind of a small solenoid pushed way up on the tail side of the wall separating the house and start batteries.
When it is set to off at the cockpit, if you add negative power to the right side center small control lug, it energizes. The solenoid always has 12v to the left side center small control lug in my test not running. you can touch a screwdriver on the right of center lug (not the big lug) and ground to make it tick on. I found a drawing in the FinnFiles on WOG and pulled a couple pages off for you to see.

What I would do is to throw the switch on in the cockpit,,, then cross each of the 9 or so small self resetable fuses on the wall near the solenoid and the 4 or 5 resettable on the battery side of the blue ps oil tank frame,,,,, you can also just test continuity of each resetable and look for the 5 amp one All of my resetables carry 12v+ when sitting being charged, plugged in with the dash switch on and off. In FinnFile Drawing 99lxiEngE7 you will see a 5 amp fuse. Another issue could be patina muffing the contacts of these resetables or the control lugs.

then I would look for the P4B relay in the FinnFile drawing 99lxiEngE8
I put some circles on these drawings and they can be found on WOG files area Schematics_Q4re pages around 75 and 79

I hope this helps. stay cool in the East.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 99lxiEngElectric8.pdf (121.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf 99lxiEngElectric7.pdf (86.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-20-2019
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

John and Al, not sure about the 2000, but my 300A alaternator and regulator, have a sensor wire from the regulator. My combiner automaticly connect the house and engine batteries.
On mine, I would have the occasionally high voltage, like 16v or better. I would flip the combiner sw and the gages would come together and normal voltage.
The sensor was on the house side, which is fine it the conbiner works like it should, but when it does not, the the alternator would sense and see low house batteries, but the comibiner was not connecting, hense the high voltage.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 07-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I thought the alternator had a cable that ran straight to the start batteries?
is the alternator making power?
Yes the Alternator is putting out 16+ volts , that is the issue . However none of the voltage is going to the start batteries.

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 07-20-2019

Good stuff here guys . It is raining here but in the morning I will do some more test using the advise given here and by those who called and emailed . Thank you .

Mallie sounds like you had the same issue so looks like we are getting closer to the issue .
Greg, Thank's for the drawings , they are sure to help .

1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 08-18-2019

Quote:
Good stuff here guys . It is raining here but in the morning I will do some more test using the advise given here and by those who called and emailed . Thank you .

Mallie sounds like you had the same issue so looks like we are getting closer to the issue .
Greg, Thank's for the drawings , they are sure to help .
Hi Al,

Just checking to see if you found the cause of the over charging problem?
Body Number F095567

Old 08-18-2019

Thanks for the reminder John . Yes we did find the cause . Turned out to be a Diode in the Genny compartment . The guys over at USA Coach found it and all is good now . I have been on the road and was not there when this repair was done but have asked Richard to send me a few pics and the exact location of the Diode. Again thanks for bringing this back up as I hate threads with no answers to the repair . Once I have the info I will post it .

1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 08-18-2019

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder John . Yes we did find the cause . Turned out to be a Diode in the Genny compartment . The guys over at USA Coach found it and all is good now . I have been on the road and was not there when this repair was done but have asked Richard to send me a few pics and the exact location of the Diode. Again thanks for bringing this back up as I hate threads with no answers to the repair . Once I have the info I will post it .
Thanks Al.
Body Number F095567