Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 10-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose View Post
Did it ignite and get warm at all? I think after 3 ignite cycles it will fault if no ignition. You should be able to hear it trying to ignite. If you can hear it try to ignite for 3 cycles and then fault, then probably not the electronic unit. Probably the solenoid. You can test the signals to the solenoid as they are an external plug on the unit.

It's also possible that there is air in the system and it's overheating. Hence the tripped reset button. There's also another thermal switch internal to the boiler. Read up on the control panel operation and figure out how to run the pump without firing the boiler and see if you purge out all the air. May need to run for hours or may need to manually pump/purge.
it is staying on! thank you for taking the time to help and point me to the right direction.

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 10-10-2019
Goat rails in the sunset

Good! Keep an eye on the fill level as it runs, it could purge air from the lines and need topping up. Fill to sight glass.

The electronics are rarely a real problem. Do the simple stuff like cleaning the wire connections on the boiler. If you usually get a *pop* instead of igniting, order in a gas solenoid to replace the malfunctioning one. Dupree Products sells them. I keep a spare, suggest you do too.
Full-time in 2019
Old 10-10-2019

I guess I judged early! It ran for a while heat came out of all the vent on that side! But at some point tripped the little red switch! It’s interesting that looking at the controls inside you can’t tell unless you go out and feel the boiler.

So correct me if I’m wrong but it seems like it overheats and trips the safety switch. Which may mean the pump is not circulating or?

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 10-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahin View Post
I guess I judged early! It ran for a while heat came out of all the vent on that side! But at some point tripped the little red switch! It’s interesting that looking at the controls inside you can’t tell unless you go out and feel the boiler.

So correct me if I’m wrong but it seems like it overheats and trips the safety switch. Which may mean the pump is not circulating or?
If you had heat inside on the coolant is moving. Is it puking out the overflow tank???
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 10-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
If you had heat inside on the coolant is moving. Is it puking out the overflow tank???
Thank you for responding Rick. Where would it puke out of? The small tanks on top of the engine bay?

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 10-10-2019
Goat rails in the sunset

Could mean coolant is low. The actual boiler operating temperature, by design, is well below boiling point of 50/50. But that's only if you have a flow of coolant thru the boiler. If pump failed, or if it pumps the boiler dry because of air in the lines, it will literally boil and you'll get some steam pushing up to the thermal breaker. When steam trips the little breaker in the outflow line, it shuts off boiler etc.

A second thermostat/breaker is embedded in the boiler wall under the stainless cover. But the one in the coolant line is most often identified.

Your hearing can tell you a lot about what's going on with the Primus if you stand near the boiler while an assistant pushed the button. You can normally hear the gas solenoid click open, then clicking as sparks arc across igniter, and then the whoosh of flame when it starts successfully. The pump is fairly silent but located under the boiler--you can feel it vibrating when it runs if you put your hand on it.
Full-time in 2019
Old 10-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbedinger View Post
Could mean coolant is low. The actual boiler operating temperature, by design, is well below boiling point of 50/50. But that's only if you have a flow of coolant thru the boiler. If pump failed, or if it pumps the boiler dry because of air in the lines, it will literally boil and you'll get some steam pushing up to the thermal breaker. When steam trips the little breaker in the outflow line, it shuts off boiler etc.

A second thermostat/breaker is embedded in the boiler wall under the stainless cover. But the one in the coolant line is most often identified.

Your hearing can tell you a lot about what's going on with the Primus if you stand near the boiler while an assistant pushed the button. You can normally hear the gas solenoid click open, then clicking as sparks arc across igniter, and then the whoosh of flame when it starts successfully. The pump is fairly silent but located under the boiler--you can feel it vibrating when it runs if you put your hand on it.
I added 50/50 earlier today and I just checked and still same level as when I added more today! So I guess it must be air in the lines or some other issue! Right now my only assistant is my furry son Dashi and he is not that much of help with this!

It’s worth mentioning that the two times it’s has come on after the solenoid click it fails a few times and then a ignition comes with a boom noise like gas was accumulated in the chamber when ignited.

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 10-11-2019
Goat rails in the sunset

I would change the gas solenoid, it is housed in plastic that embrittles, cracks, leading to electrical problems in it. It should be, in my opinion, considered a maintenance item. I clean connections at the first sign of problems, and change the solenoid if problems continue. Every other year seems like a good proactive schedule with my boilers, but they're more exposed to the elements in my SP than they are in your PT. Or carry spares and fix it when it needs it. The gas solenoids aren't cheap but they're key to dependable Primus performance.
Full-time in 2019
Old 10-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbedinger View Post
I would change the gas solenoid, it is housed in plastic that embrittles, cracks, leading to electrical problems in it. It should be, in my opinion, considered a maintenance item. I clean connections at the first sign of problems, and change the solenoid if problems continue. Every other year seems like a good proactive schedule with my boilers, but they're more exposed to the elements in my SP than they are in your PT. Or carry spares and fix it when it needs it. The gas solenoids aren't cheap but they're key to dependable Primus performance.
Thank you Ned. Do you have a part number?

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 10-12-2019

Dupree Products did carry parts for the Primus. Try Steven.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656