Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 04-27-2016

Thanks everyone! Lots of good advice. Since you asked Rick, and anyone else who might have ideas... Power steering hoses, windshield wiper mechanism (had welded to fix once and broke again). No longer need air step actuator as I repaired the valve today. Woot!
I have another question and am not sure to ask here or start a new thread... I'll start here and move if needed. I am investing in tools for the bus. Taking it into a shop can be quite expensive and allot of the work I could do my self if I had the tools. Strictly Shadetree, but attentive (I won't let the bus fall on me). One or two repairs could pay for what tools I don't have. I have a cheap 1/2 and 3/8 impact. I just got a nice 3/4in. impact, but my 33 gal. 6 scfm compressor may be outmatched. I can return the big impact and get a nice 1/2 in., or get manual big tools with big breaker bar extensions ect. What do you think would be the most appropriate setup? I don't want to open a garage, just what I would need to do more of the straightforward stuff myself. John
Old 04-27-2016
ANOTHER REDNECK

go electric for the tools brother

what i did and they work mikita 1" will do wheels and big stuff easy if you can pick it up and use it
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 04-27-2016

Agree with Randy. Pull the part and take it with you. Use a supplier that deals in truck parts. Generally you will find you have multiple options for parts. This forum is a good source. if you break something, chances are another member has had the same breakdown and posted their solution, usually complete with vendor and part numbers.
Old 04-27-2016

You can have the power steering hoses made many parts stores. Just need to ask if they make hyd hoses. another case of taking the part off and telling them to give me one of these.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 04-27-2016
Resident Rookie

Large components, like axles, have a data plate on them such as Rockwell. Then take that model and serial number to a dealer like Fleetpride and they can find the numbers. Items like seals are spares that will come in handy when you are far from a parts house.

I tried to photograph every data plate for every component I could reach, or stick the camera up to. It also helps to photograph all circuit breaker panels and buss bars so you can research circuits without having to open up the panels again. I laminated the schematics behind the photographs.
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

FMCA #72567, WL #1986, Vintage Birds # 345,
IBA #11205
Old 04-28-2016

Good tip RWoody, thanks. The new Makita cordless impacts 1/2 & 3/4 are rated higher torque than the 1in. plug in!
Old 10-18-2019

I know it is an old thread, but my trusty 1978 3208 FC31 did not pass inspection because of leaking rear wheel seals. First real mechanical issue in the 17 years we have had our bird How big a job is this to fix? I will use my local Truck Service station.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

John Fitzsimmons
Old 10-18-2019

2 or 3 hour job. Not a big deal unless the brake shoes are soaked in diff oil and need replacement then quite a bit of clean up. If it needs new shoes because of oil soak you should consider replacing both sides. Could need drums as well. 2 or 3 hours are for one seal and little clean up.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656