Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Instead of doing this piecemeal.... why don’t you just swap the whole S60 and trans in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
I have a good hydraulic pressure gauge to test this stuff. Bob stated in his thread:

"The Primary and Secondary ports produced less than 4 gallons per minute and the 3/4” port produced 13.5 GPM."

On the back of the pump there is what looks like an adjustment screw - is it to get the pressure on the steering circuit? Or some kind of magic flow control adjustment?

I am going to change my fan motor and control valve over to the ones the S60 coaches use (PWM) and I want to replace/rebuild the pump while I'm at it. I think if I get it off of there I can figure out how it's set up, but I'm trying to make a plan before I tear it all apart. It would be really nice to be able to just put any old hydraulic pump on there and have an external flow control for the steering. The splines and flange on the hyd pump are generic and common. A plain old pump with 1 suction and 1 outlet port is $200-400 and available everywhere.
Ex-PT36
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
Instead of doing this piecemeal.... why don’t you just swap the whole S60 and trans in?
Nah, I like my old 6V. It's got character like the rest of the bus.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Nah, I like my old 6V. It's got character like the rest of the bus.
I hear you.
It'd be great with about 500 horses and a few hundred more ft lbs.
And no leaks. And better fuel efficiency. And maybe one more gear. And less smoke
I considered using potable water with sprinklers or a spray bar to cool the radiator if I were to update the fuel injectors and then needed extra cooling.

Cheers,

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
I hear you.
It'd be great with about 500 horses and a few hundred more ft lbs.
And no leaks. And better fuel efficiency. And maybe one more gear. And less smoke
I considered using potable water with sprinklers or a spray bar to cool the radiator if I were to update the fuel injectors and then needed extra cooling.

Cheers,

Doug
I am probably going to stick in a set of injectors over the winter. I might take the blower off and replace it with a bypass model if I find one for a reasonable price. Or maybe I'll just leave it alone. The fan must take 50 hp when it comes on, just kills me on the hills.

Or I could swap in a 500hp 8v and run a 6-speed trans. I did the math on that and if I don't regear it would run like 95! That's even too fast for me.

I think an 8v with twins and a tail pipe on each side would be awesome.

I'll just concentrate on the fan for now.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

A more modern engine would make for a better swap,if your going to do it put an engine in with big HP and big fuel mileage too.
I love the 8V's,but nobody ever said they get great mileage!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
A more modern engine would make for a better swap,if your going to do it put an engine in with big HP and big fuel mileage too.
I love the 8V's,but nobody ever said they get great mileage!
Mileage, hah.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
I am probably going to stick in a set of injectors over the winter. I might take the blower off and replace it with a bypass model if I find one for a reasonable price. Or maybe I'll just leave it alone. The fan must take 50 hp when it comes on, just kills me on the hills.

Or I could swap in a 500hp 8v and run a 6-speed trans. I did the math on that and if I don't regear it would run like 95! That's even too fast for me.

I think an 8v with twins and a tail pipe on each side would be awesome.

I'll just concentrate on the fan for now.
You could install a wide open throttle cut out to the fan control solenoid and race the temp to the top of the hill.
Virginia Beach VA
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Beth View Post
You could install a wide open throttle cut out to the fan control solenoid and race the temp to the top of the hill.
Hah! With the PWM setup it will run the fan only as hard as it needs to maintain the set temp, which I can set to anything.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

Quote:
Hah! With the PWM setup it will run the fan only as hard as it needs to maintain the set temp, which I can set to anything.
I will get that stuff shipped out to you today,we have been wide open with our hair on fire here for weeks!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

DougW: Your idea for a water sprayer is actually very old school. Back in the 60's and 70's there was a commercially available system that sprayed water on the rad. Was popular with guys towing with Suburbans. I think it came on via a temp. sensor. Great in the hills, When the 454's were popular in the Suburbans and crew cabs you almost needed that sprayer to prevent vapor lock!

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II