Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 04-14-2014

Default Transmission Modulator Cable.

I originally had this information posted under a thread for the transmission temper sensor. I am reposting this under a title related to the information.

I was having problems with my transmissin modulator cable moving freely. I tried a number of differnt methods to lubricate the cable and nothing worked. I removed the cable and took it appart. On the innder control cable (the part the moves) there is a plastic coating on the metal cable. This plastic was coming apart causing the cable to bind. It was time to order a new cable.

I talked to Allison. They said they don't sell the modulator cable. They said that is an aftermarket part that is provided by the vehicle manufacturer. They suggested I contact Morse or Speedo Service & Instruments. Morse shows the modulator the cable has to be measured for ordering: http://www.controlcables.com/custom-modulator-cables/

Custom Controls sells a replacement unit that will fit the MT600 series transmission and several other Allison models. I believe the actual assembly is made by Orscheln https://www.cccables.com/controls/modulator.aspx

I am going to call Speedometer Service & Instruments tomorrow and see if I can get a cable from them. They have a facility 10 minutes away from my office. Before I call them I need to measure the exact length of my existing cable. From the information on their webpage, it sounds like they make these to custom lengths. I believe they also us Orscheln components. http://www.speedometerserviceportlan...rtland_OR.html

The speedometerservice folks didn't have the parts in stock. They were great to deal with on the phone and seamed to be very familiar with the part I was ordering. I am sure I will go back to them for other parts. However, I decided to order the part from Control Cables. They had pieces in stock and I had the part in a couple of days. The replacement part looked like the OEM. For my FC35, the cable measurement was 48". The new cable and modulator cable end cost about $120. The new cable works great. It is smooth and you can feel the spring resistance as the cable is pushed in. I have included some pictures below of the old cable and the parts catalog with the part numbers circled. One other not of caution, when you remove end of the cable from the transmission, 6 quarts of tranny fluid will pour out the hole. Have a bucket ready.

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35

Last edited by TKuhlman; 04-14-2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: The pictures were wonky.
Old 04-20-2014

I had a chance to do a test drive today with the new transmission temperature guage and the new modulator cable. Wow! What a difference that made in the shift. With the old cable, during a down shift, as I approached a stop the transmission would do a hard down shift. I would wince each time as it kicked down hard. Now, I have real smooth down shift.

When I set up my cable adjustment, I did it just as described in the manual with a little bit of end travel allowed at the end of the cable so that the cable does not bottom out before the fuel injector pump linkage is all the way to the stop. One thing I didn't see in the Allison manual is if the fuel pump linkage is tightented down to the slip cleavise or is allowed to slide back and forth in the slot. I talked to folks at Control Cables. They said allow the linkage to float in the slot and use a return spring to keep the back of the cleavise slot against the linkage stud . That is how I said it up and it works great.

What really surprised me was how long it took the transmission to come up to temperature. It took 45 minutes to get the transmission up to temperature (180 F).

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 10-07-2014

Hi Tim,
I am having similar issues with my cable and would really like to replace it. Do you think it would be exactly the same cable for an 84 FC35?
Did you do the job yourself?
We are going near Aberdeen later this week and then coming back down towards Portland and the coast in the middle of next week, so I could easily order this part and pick it up.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I need some help, swapped out my 3208n to a 3208t having trouble trying to figure out how to hook up the modulator cable to the throttle linkage has anyone got a picture of how it was done. I may have to build some type of bracket my throttle is hydraulic 82 wanderlodge
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I will get you a pic of mine in the morning
Cape Cod,ma
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Allison cable full compression to coincide w/wide open throttle.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Here is a picture of my FC35 with the 3208T. The picture shows the modulator cable attached to the slip clevis and the air throttle connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1828.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	65138  

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Good image, thanks.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Promised pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191114_111059.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	65143   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191114_111129.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	65144  
Cape Cod,ma
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Comparing my pics to Tim's it seems I'm missing a spring.... Helpful thread, thanks!
Cape Cod,ma