Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 09-13-2010

Ed... thanks for the tip. I wouldn't doubt if I have a few cans of that around here. It seems a can lasts forever.
I have had so much of that on me that I could have gone dressed as the Tin Man for Halloween, a few times
As Randy says, in the real world sometimes one may not always do what the book says. I have read the Alcoa information last year for the first time in the 30+ I have been changing Aluminum Bud Stud Pilot Wheels, and I learned something. The real world for me was to get as much Never seize on everything as you can.. The Aluminum/ Steel nut combination, makes for a lot of corrosion, and they can be a bear to get off, even with a 1" drive tire gun. I have used heat before to get the nuts to turn, and replaced them. I used to smear it inbetween the rims to keep the corrosion down there, too. They make plastic discs now that you can use..Fleetpride has them. The real world for most tire shops is to throw the wheel on, and hammer the lugs tight in some chris/cross method, and drop the jack.. I have never seen too many torque wrenches used in tightening wheels, but I think it's a good idea.
I also use Never Seize on my slack adjuster clevis pins, and on the backing plates where the Brake Shoes ride. It seems to hold up well with the water etc.. I also use it on spark plugs when installing them in Aluminum Heads.
Old 09-13-2010
Forum owner

i do believe Jim and I went to never-seize boot camp together.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-13-2010
Senior

It appears that some are forgetting that there are two different types of wheel nuts used on Alcoa Aluminum Wheels, those for stud centered wheels (ball studs) and hub centered wheels (two piece flat nuts).

Those used on stud centered wheels are lubed on the first couple of threads ONLY for a reason. If you slather the complete stud with never seize, you then take the chance of getting it on the end of the nut and that can increase the torque to the point where you may crack the rims between the studs. However it does not really matter whether you use never seize or machine oil on the stud for the stud centered wheels the coeficient of friction is very simlar and the reduced torque will be very close.

On hub centered wheels use machine oil or a drop of motor oil between the two parts of the nut to lubricate it. That will not change the torque on the wheel to the point where you need to worry about it.
I hope that is clear enough now.
Oh and one other thing. Forget all of the information you find in Counterman magazine etc and use the information in the Alcoa Manual that the company provides. You can get into trouble real fast using erroneous information from well meaning sources.
6V92
Old 09-14-2010
Can't re-member

Gardner,

The Unimount is made for later hub piloted 33MM wheels. All of the holes are smaller (hence the distortion) and are all equal size. The stud piloted beauty ring has 5 large holes made to slip over the nut and 5 smaller holes that are sized for the nut to hold the beauty ring on with. I found this out the hard way $$$ (I-75 Chrome Shop in FL) so needless to say I will be bringing 2 new Unimount beauty rings in the package to RATS to hopefully sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Tom,

Another thing that bothers me is the beauty ring. I got new ones from Iowa-80. They are supposed to be designed for both the stud piloted and hub piloted application (called unimount), alternate large and smaller holes. On my old rings the smaller holes fit just inside the peaks of the nuts so that the wheel contact area of the nuts was not altered. The new ones distort around the entire circumference of the hole, leading me to believe that it is affecting the contact area. It was dark by the time I finished last night so I need to return in daylight to investigate. It is also possable that they sent the wrong ones?

Looks like another round of X-12 fun.

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 09-14-2010
Chegment

Default Never Seize, Cancer?

Hello:

Regarding the statement that the nickel grade Never Seize in cancerous. How do I know if my Never Sieze contains nickel? Is it hopefully a specific brand? I normally use the stuff from NAPA in a silver plastic bottle with a brush in it's cap.
Connecticut 06089
Old 09-14-2010
95 WB 42

Rich

The nickel content will be listed on side of can. It is high $$ stuff
most places sell the cheaper non nickel stuff.9 out of 10 you are safe,
just check your can. The high nickel is used mostly in industral apps or government use. The one we used was marked "nuclear grade" on side of can. You can still use it just please wear gloves.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 09-14-2010
Senior

Ed anti-seize with nickel appears to be only hazardous to an individual under certain conditions, first if the anti-seize is subjected to temperatures in excess of 500F and then it may be hazardous to your nasal passages and lungs, and secondly it may be irritating to your skin if you have open wounds and then you should wear gloves. http://tinyurl.com/2cdgww3
6V92
Old 09-14-2010

the next to last thing that I'll do is change a tire on my bus. Coach-net to the rescue. When you are over 60- why try? Your opinion as well as your mileage may vary~
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Ekberg View Post
the next to last thing that I'll do is change a tire on my bus. Coach-net to the rescue. When you are over 60- why try? Your opinion as well as your mileage may vary~

Besides, Ernie, you might spill your wine changing a tire.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 09-14-2010
95 WB 42

Tom

The friend/co worker that passed was a mechanic in a Brewery I worked side by side with him for over 5 years,I'm an electrician. We worked on pasteurizers about 3 times a week for years.
Being as he was pulling wrenches daily,changing various parts many small scrapes,and small cuts to hands even when wearing gloves must have allowed entrance. Never Sieze will migrate through leather gloves over time. How many people change gloves at work just as soon as a hole develops in their gloves.

I try to wear latex gloves when I change oil even with gloves on I cannot keep all grease and oil off my hands,. Gloves do help but they are not going to keep all of it off your hands.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell