Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 05-31-2011

Default preparing to paint

This is my first attempt at creating a new thread with photos. I had a few practice runs, but I think I have it under control now. I really prefer reading posts created by others, to be quite honest. Nonetheless, I hope I can contribute some valuable information for those members who are thinking about painting an 80's coach.

As you know, the coaches produced during that period had the aluminum body trim down both sides and around the rear of the coach. My coach was starting to show some signs of bubbling coming up from behind that molding which will eventually rust through if not addressed. I have seen this issue on other coaches from that time period. I have heard other owners consider repairing without removing the molding. I can now say with confidence that it's not recommended. You will be wasting your time and your money.

The only way to do it right is to remove the molding if you have signs of bubbling or rust. The real trouble is underneath that molding. While we were at it, we also removed the drip rail, goat rail, awnings and rubber wheel trim around all the wheel wells. That has given us a good look at any other potential issues. It was not an easy job, but we think it will be worth it in the end. We realize it won't be an easy job getting all back on, but it didn't come off that easy either. We're thinking it might be easier going back on with all the new hardware. I don't think BB used stainless screws on the molding.

Here are a few starter photos. I will add more as we make some progress.

FMCA 149549
VB 1010
Old 05-31-2011

I'm watching. Thank you for this thread.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 06-01-2011

Thank you for the thread. I will be repainting my SP at some point.
Old 06-01-2011
Resident Rookie

Looks great! I have some rust "bubbling" between the fiberglass front and the steel side panel below driver's window - have to find the roof leak first then I will tackle the rust. Then the plastic film on the front , then the clear coat, then the new film....it never ends!!

Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

FMCA #72567, WL #1986, Vintage Birds # 345,
IBA #11205
Old 06-01-2011

I had one spot on my coach and like you said you HAVE to remove that trim to get to the real trouble. It is a bear to get those screws out. There is a thread some where that we talked about ways to handle it. I know one thing if you strip the head and have to drill or grind them off you have a job on your hands. I can understand why it costs so much to repaint one of these beasts. Now if a fellow did the prep work like Steve is doing it shouldn't be so bad.

By the way the spot on my coach was right at that small window where Steve is working. Not that bad but it was bubbling up from the screw hole. I removed the awning and had the paint shop spray it. They did a poor job but the rust is gone.

Like anything you have to do it right and I believe Steve is entirely right if you have bubbling at that trim and don't get under it it wouldn't last at all.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-03-2011

We finally got the coach to the paintshop. Here are a few photos that we took just before we took it, and one on the way I'll post some from the shop once I have some.

Can't wait to put it all back together.
[IMG]Ittp://i54.tinypic.com/243pa8x.jpg[/IMG]
FMCA 149549
VB 1010
Old 07-03-2011

Great job Steve. Don't forget what you did, I'll need to do a repeat!
VB 1570
Old 07-03-2011
Gardner

Steve can't finish his reassembly until I get my coach out of his driveway. With luck the brake drums and shocks will arrive as scheduled for a Saturday re-assembly. Steve keeps bugging me about painting mine, but my dentist just laid claim to most of the money.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-03-2011

Gardner,

We know we can fit two in the driverway. Not a problem. Alex and I have been eyeing it up all week. Lots of good ideas . Front wheels are all polished. We had a rain day today and we had to keep busy. If we could have fit the coach in the garage there is no telling what we might have accomplished. Let us know if you're coming up tomorrow.
FMCA 149549
VB 1010
Old 07-03-2011
Gardner

Steve,
I may come up tomorrow to do some stuff on the coach. Spent a good bit of today with Kathy ordering a new laptop for her. It is like finding the best rate on airline tickets.

I need to do some prototyping with cardboard to set up a work area for Kathy. This will not be the final design, but should do till next year. Somehow I ran out of time for a major interior work area upgrade this year.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey