Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 12-11-2011
Forum owner

Debbie.
That old bird has been running the roads for 30 years with 4 batteries,no need to get in a hurry and change the system before you need to.
Learning how to manage the system you have is the first step.
Welcome to the ZOO!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-11-2011

Debbie- 6 six volt golf cart batteries will do a great job spinning up the 6V92. I've been running that way for 6 years. Your issues could be related to chargers or even ****** battery cables. The Perkins engine is a great little 4-cylinder unit that will run endlessly if well maintained. The back end, however, is made by Kohler and gave me endless problems. I replaced it with a newer, brushless design made by Stamford. I think that your shop may have been talking about a Westerbeke (see http://westerbeke.com/) model that could mate up to the Perkins engine. A new genny should run about $2K without installation. It's pretty easy to spend that much on a new Kohler Rotor, Stator or other assorted parts that are now pretty much obsolete. After spending tons of cash on my old Kohler, I now wish that I'd replaced it when I first bought the coach. Since doing that upgrade last year, the Perkins and Stamford combination has been working flawlessly. Feel free to call anytime with questions!

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 12-11-2011
95 WB 42

Debbie
Welcome aboard enjoy the ride it's "BIRDTASTIC"
Most likely battery cables as suggested by Shane also the generator conversion as Shane suggested is the way to go.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 12-11-2011

Hi Debbie, Shane knows the PT from top to bottom and has helped me immeasurably take his word as pretty much gospel.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 12-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Hi Debbie, Shane knows the PT from top to bottom and has helped me immeasurably take his word as pretty much gospel.
Yep. I sure listened when my generator acted up. Now have a brand new unit running like a champ.
VB 1570
Old 12-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie.Grey View Post
...The dial says it has 2938 engine hours, which seems low for 116,000 miles...
Not really. That averages out to 40mph, which is about right, considering the amount of time spend trying to get up to speed, idling, etc.
VB 1570
Old 12-12-2011
Itchintogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie.Grey View Post

Next cycle, start in on the generator issue. I have a shop recommendation nearby, and will not rush into anything. [I did find the one lucid discussion about replacing the Kohler generator head with a Winchester [?] and keeping the Perkins engine.] The dial says it has 2938 engine hours, which seems low for 116,000 miles.

Minor problem - my Owner's Manual is missing Figures 10-10 and 10-11. I'm gonna need those eventually.

Meanwhile, academia calls, and I need to pull diagrams for the domestic laundry stack and look for a blown fuse - dam' but I need a remedial course in electricity REALLY bad.

Happy Sunday, All,
Debbie,

Just want to confirm your engine hours. Are you reading the hour meter for the 6V92 or for the generator with 2938 hours on it? You should have 2 hour meters.

As John has mentioned the Figures 10-10 and 10-11 are in the database for this forum.

Generator hours can really vary depending on how the coach was used. For example my 82 only has 730 hours on the generator and I would think that is below average. The PO never dry camped.
Old 12-13-2011

Smile It LIVES!

Evening, All,

So the Festina Lente lives! We ran her up to full air pressure and idled for a bit before shutting down everything. [A battery kill switch is in my future.] Meanwhile, I have slain a batch of academinutiae, downloaded a slough of files to sieve for my missing diagrams, and plowed through enough archive threads to start recognizing names. Yep, I am quite ready to believe that Shane [+ a half-dozen others] does know everything. Really looking forward to meeting folks once I’m roadworthy and off the clock.

Recap: Low temps and the 12V Master did drain the 4x12V batteries, a cold snap damaged them, and our attempts to charge them were the coup de grace. Kaput. Bill at Interstate Battery [Houston corporate distribution hub] adamantly equipped Tom [my other half] with a sextet of 6-volts. AND no extra top stud cable assemblies. Talk about a hard-to-find item! Rusty/Elite RV had to fab new ones at the coach, and THAT took two welding shops to get enough pieces! It wasn’t just adding 2 batteries, the Wiring Diagram had been ignored! The batteries had been wired directly to the starter, bypassing the insulated stud and with it the shunt to the “charge” ammeter. It took the both of them to sort, I was off herding teenagers. And I REALLY need to hit Half Price Books for a Complete Idiot's Guide to Electricity. I have a strong suspicion that the miswired rear did wrong by the generator battery.

At the moment there is no generator battery and that whole issue is on high standby. On the dash, in the tachometer dial, a meter reads 2983.55 hours. On the overhead, inside the Generator border, a dial reads 2938.2 engine hours. Only 35 hours difference. [Now that is just all KINDS of interesting.] Meanwhile [until we open the tray or I find a receipt in the box to say otherwise], my current grokking is that I am dealing with a Kohler stator with 26-year-old varnish, regardless of engine hours. [Plus a leaking tray ram – or its valve, for which I have the Grainger part number now – and the exhaust sleeve mismatch resulting therefrom.]

The immediate question, though, is whether I’m safe to roll without the genny on line? We had planned a joyride [toad-less] out to the Kerrville Folk Festival to contemplate where in the Meadow we can perch this Bird come May. We're #42 on the RV waiting list.... If folks are staying at Stonewall past Sunday, I have half a mind to put my checklists through a loading frenzy and roll on out there – on Monday.

First, on to the next round of academinutiae…. Thank you, All, for everything.

Debbie Huffman Grey
Finally full-timing / Kids in Houston, Texas
1985 PT-40 "Festina Lente"
1993 Toyota Pickup "Phoenix"
FMCA 424082 VB 1639 SKP 112690 GS Life Member
Old 12-13-2011

Debbie- LOVE the coach name!!! Sure, you're fine cruising around without a genny- but you want to make sure that your onboard battery chargers are working correctly when you stop and plug in at a campsite. You don't want to have to start the coach every day and idle for an hour or so to charge batteries. Even with all of the switches off, you'll drain the batteries in the course of a 3 or 4 days without a charger. The only way to prevent that is a large Battery Disconnect switch. I highly recommend the Blue Sea 3001 switch. It will easily handle the large battery bank.

If you're interested, there's a BB rally out in Fredericksburg this weekend with the Lonestar Bird group. You're lucky that there's a vibrant group of owners close to you as well as this forum for getting help. If you have any issues with the big engine, take a ride out the Katy freeway and go over to Seguin Diesel (830) 379-7212. The owner has an affinity for Wanderlodges and owns one himself.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 12-13-2011

Hi Debbie,

Welcome to our forum let me know if you need any help I am close by in Baytown

Denny
727 631 3844

1980 FC 33' SB