Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 01-02-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
What are the chances I will need ball joints and also boots? And how will I know when I need the ball joints?
Dennis,

I am not a 380 or 450 owner but based on recent threads , the boots are failing,
and any vehicle may need ball joints eventually , I would purchase a full set if I were an owner. They seem difficult to obtain, production may be limited, and spares will be a good bargaining tool when the time comes to sell.
Old 01-02-2013

Dennis,

You can tell about the boots by inspection. It is best done with the front wheels off, but can be done with them on by lifting the front end (with sufficent stands or blocks) and carefully looking with a flashlight. You will be looking for tears in the boots. My personal opinion is that all M- 380/450's will eventually need to have replacement boots, especially on the lower joints. Again, my personal feeling is that if the boots are kept intact that the joints should last for the life of the coach. The issue is how many of us will keep that close check on their condition. Also, until and unless Ryan's boot is completed/proven to be workable there has been no replacement boot available. As usual, for most of us Bill Pape's advise is probably very good (it would be nice however to know the cost).

In answer to your question about when they need replacing, there is information on the allowable wear in the Meritor manual that is available on the forum. Or you could just drive until the steering gets too sloppy.
Old 01-02-2013
cmillsap

Quote:
What are the chances I will need ball joints and also boots? And how will I know when I need the ball joints?
Dennis,

It’s easy to check the boots that are covering the ball joints. Raise the front end with the front hydraulic jacks high enough to allow the front tires to be turned easily. Put jack stands under frame for safety. Start engine and turn tires all the way to the right. You now have a good view of the front side of the right (passenger) side lower and upper boots. Usually the boot will be torn loose at the bottom boot band clamp or there may be a tear on the outer side of the boot closest to the brake rotor. You will also have a good view of the rear side of the left (drivers) side boots with the tires in this position. Then you can turn the tires to their fully left position and repeat the steps above.

Chuck
Note: If you choose to air up the coach to provide more crawl space under coach, Make sure hydraulic jacks and jack stands are extended high enough to provide ample safe space under coach if air system happened to fail!!

Last edited by cmillsap; 01-02-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2013

Thanks to all of you, this information is very useful. I will be having a pro check these for me sometime this month - this information will help me to understand and to ask the right questions.
Old 01-03-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks to all of you, this information is very useful. I will be having a pro check these for me sometime this month - this information will help me to understand and to ask the right questions.
Jim, Ryan & some others know these issue, protect those ball joints, inspect those boots.
Old 01-03-2013

Did ya hear that honey? I'm an INSPECTOR!!!
Austintown,Ohio
Old 01-03-2013
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
For the benefit of those WOG members that are not sure of what to be looking for, here is a drawing to help show what is being talked about.

I'm sure that a good quality high resolution picture would help even more,if any body has one or can take one, you can send it to wanderlodgeownersgroup@gmail.com and I'll post it for you.

Here's a few more pics of the Boots that Robert Britton posted a few weeks ago.

These are what they should look like when they are in good condition with no damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
My thanks to Mike Basista Icefixr66 for these pictures, they give a view of the ball joints and damaged boots.

This is what you may first see when inspecting the rubber boots, not much of a sign of any torn boot.

This view reveals some leakage of grease from inside the boot through a slit in the boot.

Here the inspector uses a finger to put pressure on the boot to open up the damaged area of the boot.

Thanks again to "Inspector Mike".

Attached Thumbnails

Chuck

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by iamflagman; 01-04-2013 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Added quotes, large pictures and text.
Old 01-06-2013

Please add me to the list of those wanting ball joints and boots. I don't need them now, but will buy for the future. Thanks for the photos, they are great and very helpful.

Thanks for all your work on this.
Old 04-03-2014

Hi Randy,
I purchased the 2004 M380 I mentioned last week. I would like to know if there is a ball joint supplier you are aware of. Looking at the tires I am expecting to replace them soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Dan Lane
holt Michigan
2004 M 380 Wanderlodge
1993 38' Q-Bus converted
Old 04-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortilandan View Post
Hi Randy,
I purchased the 2004 M380 I mentioned last week. I would like to know if there is a ball joint supplier you are aware of. Looking at the tires I am expecting to replace them soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

As far as WOG post there are no new suppliers of the Ball Joint for the M380 or the 450. Randy may have some unused new old stock.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656