Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Care and Upkeep

Care and Upkeep Let's face it, it has to be done. Have questions of what to do or how to do it, this is the place to talk about it.

Site Search:

Old 09-04-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Exclamation What preventative measures do you take to control insect and rodents in your 'Bird?

I just edited the thread Wanderlodge Factory "THE 'BIRDS NEST" to contain a warning about the persistent ant problem that always seems to be at THE NEST and I added some suggestions of what I do such as the use of Boric Acid powder or a household cleaner like Comet that contains a similar chemical, around the tires and electrical cords and sewer hose, to help prevent the ants from gaining access to my 'Bird and then I place a bait container of Terro Ant Killer at strategic points throughout the interior of my 'Bird and this seems to control the ants that get past the outside treatment.

I also have placed steel wool into any gap that that I could find that was too large to use caulk to fill to prevent rodents from gaining entry.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11

Last edited by iamflagman; 07-31-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2008

I use that Terro stuff also. Works with no ants around.
Just killed a mouse in the cabinets today. Set a trap..works.
What this tells me is we have been here to long workcamping. It's been 4 months and we have 2 to go.
No more 6 month workcamping jobs for us. By then the ants and mice have found a way in...
Old 09-05-2008
FOX

Default Rodent control

We got a mouse infestation in the coach years ago while it was in storage. They made an unbelievable mess of things that took 3 days to clean up when we returned to the coach.

D-con makes a rodent poison block that is about one inch square and 2 inches long. You can buy them by the package. We keep one of these blocks in each lower bay and it does a good job of preventing infestations as the ingested poison makes rodents head for water which is outside the coach. Occasionally I will find a carcass in a bay.

If a mouse gets past this barrier, plan B is the trap.

]
2003 LXI dble. slide
SERIES 60
Alaska & Mexico
Old 09-05-2008
Senior

My wife puts the small square sheets you flip into the clothes drier to give the clothers a nice smell, into each drawer etc in the coach. No problems with mices yet over the last 8 years or so.
6V92
Old 09-05-2008
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

I started out using a small box of the pellet type D-Con inside a cabinet where our dog couldn’t get to it. I stopped doing that when I discovered that a mouse had carried some of the D-Con away from the box and had hidden it in several places around the coach. I was afraid I would miss a hidden stash and our dog would find it. Pieces of the D-Con blocks may be less likely to be carried off but I'm not sure. Next I tried mouse traps inside the coach but after thinking about it I thought it would make more sense to trap them outside instead of luring them inside. Now when I store the coach I set 3 or 4 mouse traps around each tire - this seems to work very well. I use traps called “the better mouse trap” baited with peanut butter, cheese and sunflower seeds.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 09-08-2008

While I have not used it on mice the Rat Zapper (google it) is by far the best rat killer I have ever used. I am in property management and have lots of experience. When everything else fails the Rat Zapper will get them. It is clean and neat too. They get electricuted. I will have to try the dryer sheets mentioned above. I know they are highly toxic and cause nerve damage so it is no wonder they work.

Dennis
Old 09-08-2008

Try cutting up Dog & Cat flea collars into several piece it will keep spiders and similar little nastiness out of your coach. I live in as area that is infested with Brown Recluse Spiders. Not much works on them, except flea collars. The coach has been here for two years now I’ve never seen one in it.
Kurt Horvath
95 PT-42
10AC
Old 09-08-2008

That's cause they are a recluse.....don't..don't look Really close in dark corners!!!!!
Old 09-08-2008

Exclamation

That's their only attribute. they won't bother you if you don't mess with them. I got bit last April, third or forth time in 20 years, not too bad, my son got bit last year on the chest, the bugger was in his shirt he left on the floor overnight. I't was not terrible, only because we went on a three week trip in the coach. We made him keep ice on it while we were rolling.
Not to make light of them, they can be fatal.

Kurt Horvath
95 PT-42
10AC
Old 09-09-2008

I'm still healing from a bite 2 yrs ago from one!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support