Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 07-31-2013

Default 1980 FC33 (Jim Baber) a couple of updates

I purchased Jim Baber's red and white FC. Mechanically everything is pretty sound but like most it needed some updates. Between a few weekends and the odd nights after work I got a few things done. Still need to tackle a few repairs, like the airstep that seems to leak through the valve that pushes out the cylinder. I took apart the adjustable needle(my descpription) on the forward side, adjusted it where it wouldnt leak but then it wouldn't push out the step, maybe someone can chime in here with that.

As for repairs, little things like AC Shrouds replaced, all the blinds replaced with new and modern textiles, a few loose screws and fasteners and a good cleaning. Pictures attached are of the updates.

Bathroom had the old vinyl replaced, found a small 3x5 soft spot that was replaced, the lower kick piece where the heater and access door are was also a little soft so I built a new panel. The shower bar, the acrylic one was cracked so I found a chrome bar at Ikea that lined right up perfectly. The shower hose and head were replaced, found a neat little head that can be held with your palm, and fits nicely tucked up in the factory holders. New toilet with a porcelin bowl, and did away with the spray hose, the toilet is more like a home unit, not with only one water outlet.

The headlight trim pieces had been painted black, stripped them and polished. The lower marker/turn lights were cracked and not hooked up, replaced them with Dual LED's finished off with a heavy polished trim pieces, I had the trim pieces and worked off of them.

The biggest task was the dash. The factory dash was missing/lost/replaced somewhere along the way. In its place was all the gauges and toggles in one large plywood sheet, I didnt like it even though it was functional, somewhat. The most time consuming was the tracing and diagnosing of the wiring. Someone had gotten in there previous and even though most went back to the original wiring, alot had been cut and spliced for some reason, using the cheap butt crimp connectors. Cleaned everything up, proper connectors, heat shrinked and cleaned up some unnecassary loose ends. I built a new dash, wraped it in a good quality material, manufactured some ducting for the defrost vents. The dash panels are now three, the main dash with the gauges are alone in one panel above the new steering wheel. The lower panel houses the headlights, wipers, fan controls, air dump, etc. Basically all the stuff you need to get to while driving. Replaced some of the toggles to ones that illuminate to eliminate the dummy lights. The large center panel houses the new generator panel and gauges as well as the all the switches that are basically for the house functions. The aluminum panels I made myself from 1/8 sheet, the oval gauge one was purchased off of ebay. I still want to place a rear monitor in the large panel just to the right of the driver station and possibly a few other things that may fit. The last pictureis what the dash used to look like.

Thanks for looking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1760.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	23990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1759.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	23991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1762.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	23992   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	23993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1765.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	23994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1768.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	23995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1769.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	23996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1773.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	23997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1774.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	23998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1615.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	23999  

Old 07-31-2013

Wow that looks nice! I especially like the turn signals and that dash! I saw your dash and thought to myself, "wow!, that's actually usueful!"
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 08-01-2013

Horatio, you've done some really beautiful work! I love that dash!
The rams for my generator slide and step are ARO units by Ingersol Rand. There is an IR service center nearby me so I have taken them in to see if there are rebuild parts/kits available. (I had to take them in b/c IR couldn't track them by the 33-year old part numbers, so they are doing some exploratory surgery). I should hear back on them this week; I'll let you know the results.
Old 08-01-2013
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by horacio View Post
I purchased Jim Baber's red and white FC. Mechanically everything is pretty sound but like most it needed some updates. Between a few weekends and the odd nights after work I got a few things done. Still need to tackle a few repairs, like the airstep that seems to leak through the valve that pushes out the cylinder. I took apart the adjustable needle(my descpription) on the forward side, adjusted it where it wouldnt leak but then it wouldn't push out the step, maybe someone can chime in here with that.

As for repairs, little things like AC Shrouds replaced, all the blinds replaced with new and modern textiles, a few loose screws and fasteners and a good cleaning. Pictures attached are of the updates.

Bathroom had the old vinyl replaced, found a small 3x5 soft spot that was replaced, the lower kick piece where the heater and access door are was also a little soft so I built a new panel. The shower bar, the acrylic one was cracked so I found a chrome bar at Ikea that lined right up perfectly. The shower hose and head were replaced, found a neat little head that can be held with your palm, and fits nicely tucked up in the factory holders. New toilet with a porcelin bowl, and did away with the spray hose, the toilet is more like a home unit, not with only one water outlet.

The headlight trim pieces had been painted black, stripped them and polished. The lower marker/turn lights were cracked and not hooked up, replaced them with Dual LED's finished off with a heavy polished trim pieces, I had the trim pieces and worked off of them.

The biggest task was the dash. The factory dash was missing/lost/replaced somewhere along the way. In its place was all the gauges and toggles in one large plywood sheet, I didnt like it even though it was functional, somewhat. The most time consuming was the tracing and diagnosing of the wiring. Someone had gotten in there previous and even though most went back to the original wiring, alot had been cut and spliced for some reason, using the cheap butt crimp connectors. Cleaned everything up, proper connectors, heat shrinked and cleaned up some unnecassary loose ends. I built a new dash, wraped it in a good quality material, manufactured some ducting for the defrost vents. The dash panels are now three, the main dash with the gauges are alone in one panel above the new steering wheel. The lower panel houses the headlights, wipers, fan controls, air dump, etc. Basically all the stuff you need to get to while driving. Replaced some of the toggles to ones that illuminate to eliminate the dummy lights. The large center panel houses the new generator panel and gauges as well as the all the switches that are basically for the house functions. The aluminum panels I made myself from 1/8 sheet, the oval gauge one was purchased off of ebay. I still want to place a rear monitor in the large panel just to the right of the driver station and possibly a few other things that may fit. The last pictureis what the dash used to look like.

Thanks for looking
Your excellent work is commendable.
Old 08-01-2013

James Baber is watching your reworks...I'm sure he is right proud. He should be. It's nice to see someone bringing his coach up to their liking. NICE WORK. Thank you for keeping us posted.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 08-01-2013
Administrator

Good craftsmanship, over 30 years old and ready for another 15 years
Old 08-01-2013
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horacio View Post

Thanks for looking
Great looking work Horacio! When Jim was looking to buy his old coach back and for a while afterward he would call me and ask details on what was where. Apparently a previous owner had removed the dash for whatever reason. I enjoyed the calls from Jim and appreciated his excitement in getting his old coach going again. After Jim had sold his FC and bought an SP, he would often tell me how much he wanted the FC back. There was nothing wrong with the SP, he just loved his old FC. I tell you all of this in the context of Jim would be real proud of what you have done here. It really looks great and thats some really nice craftsmanship! I can't wait to see it in person. Hopefully you can let all of us see it in October at the rally? Keep on posting upgrades, us older bird owners love to see what can be done to keep them going and up to date....

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 08-01-2013
Forum owner

Nice Dash!
you done good!
I was never in the coach when Jim had it,but you have it looking good!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-04-2013

Nice updates Horacio! I have the same issue with my lower front lights. It's good to see an option. That original dash looks like something created for the SciFi Channel, your update is much cleaner and has a modern classic styling too, very cool.

I've been torn on where'd I'd place the much lesser used lower dash "stuff". To the right upper as you have was one I've pondered, it's cool to see it done! Do you have any in progress pics or your dash rebuild to share too, I'm sure we'd all love to see some, I know I would.
3208T 250hp
Allison MT-643
Rear End 5.29
Old 08-04-2013

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Bene I didn't take any pictures while apart, wasn't too much to see except a huge mess of wiring, I basically just cleaned everything up, as for the dash pad I built it out of 3/4 like the original, and used metal for the dash pieces to rest on and be secured to. The dash panels are red oak, 1/2 inch and the aluminium panels are cut from 1/8 sheet. I still need to label and see how it is for lighting, may have to some up lighting possibly as John Finn did, I'll have to see how it is as after using it. The dash did not turn out perfect but for my limited talent it is 100 times better than what was there and now if I have to dive in to repair something ill be able to do so with some knowledge.

Last edited by horacio; 08-04-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Mis spelling