Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 08-09-2013

MY first potential issue. I was backing into a tight camp site for some weekend camping. As I was pumping the brakes and maneuvering into the cement slap the l Low Air buzzer came on and it read 50psi. Is this normal if you are on and off the brakes constantly? I did notice that it seemed to take longer than usual to air up after I started it for the first time in a few days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2013

Josh, you can deplete the air system by pumping the brakes. There is nothing wrong with you coach, you need to modify your driving to accommodate air brakes, no on and off, no pumping, smooth and steady is the only way. The next step from the alarm coming on is the rears lock up and you stop very quickly.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 08-09-2013
RV Appraiser

What was your normal pressure reading, under normal driving conditions? Normally if you have 120psi you should not drop that low unless you did brake excesively or the coach set for awhile, several hours before moving your coach. From an initial startup it may take several minutes, 8-10 or more to build up to 120 from 0. I generally don't move the coach until I get a spit off the air dryer, if your air dryer is not spitting, your not building enough pressure and you may need to change out the air govenor which could be failing.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 08-10-2013
Administrator

There are air leaks in all these old busses, & there are many posts on these topics, leaks need to be fixed as an on going maintenance routine.
here is a few posts that are a must read for new owners on testing air brakes, this is part of the CDL test info available online or at your local DMV. And working safely under a bus.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...0SYSTEM%20.pdf

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ead.php?t=1166
Old 08-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
The old bird looks good,but now we want to know about the shipping container house!
Heres the house i built.
http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7779
Randy , i am really enjoying your building thread . up to page 11 ha ha .

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 08-10-2013

Ah Okay. I will pay attention to that from now on. I never put the rig in drive until it is aired up and close to normal operating temp. Thanks for the info all!
Old 08-11-2013

Opps. Well this next question is a real issue. Now I know there will be a lot of issues to come and I'm prepared for it, so I'm not going to get discouraged. I have a lot to go through and if you want to have something vintage there comes a lot of vintage things to fix.

I was returning from the state park we were at for the weekend to run the systems and get away from the city. My wife and daughter left the park in their car and I went alone to return the rig to another RV park I'm storing it at.

While making the 20 minute drive I lost all air on the left side of the coach. Not just one wheel, but both front and rear left wheels. Are the air circuits for the airbags left side and right side or front and rear? I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but as soon as I used the air tilt adjustment it seemed like I lost air on one side instantly. The airbags are original and has flaking dry rot on them. I already made an appointment to have them all changed along with wheel bearings and rear end gear lash adjusted, but now I cant even get to the shop with the airbags inflated.

Any ideas?
Old 08-11-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Garrett's View Post
Opps. Well this next question is a real issue. Now I know there will be a lot of issues to come and I'm prepared for it, so I'm not going to get discouraged. I have a lot to go through and if you want to have something vintage there comes a lot of vintage things to fix.

I was returning from the state park we were at for the weekend to run the systems and get away from the city. My wife and daughter left the park in their car and I went alone to return the rig to another RV park I'm storing it at.

While making the 20 minute drive I lost all air on the left side of the coach. Not just one wheel, but both front and rear left wheels. Are the air circuits for the airbags left side and right side or front and rear? I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but as soon as I used the air tilt adjustment it seemed like I lost air on one side instantly. The airbags are original and has flaking dry rot on them. I already made an appointment to have them all changed along with wheel bearings and rear end gear lash adjusted, but now I cant even get to the shop with the airbags inflated.

Any ideas?
Sounds like a rear leveling valve linkage, you may be able to see it without jacking up the bus , air the system down
Old 08-11-2013

Thanks Bill! I think you are right. I didnt hear any hissing or pop of the bag. It just decided to roll to its side.

On the chunk of land Im buying I will have to make a pit. Its best.
Old 08-11-2013
Forum owner

Height control valve or a possible pan hard bar failure.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com