Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 01-13-2014
Forum owner

Default 1975 FC Engine & Trans Conversion

we have a member that has a 1975FC and he wants to put in a 5.9 cummins and allison 3060.
Hes looking for input and info.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com

Last edited by iamflagman; 01-14-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Edited combined threads title
Old 01-13-2014

Does he already have the parts? Sounds like a good project. IMho it is best to have a donor vehicle, this way you dont get nickel and dimed to death with parts that get overlooked initially. Things like wiring harness, rad and cac parts etc. Theres always alot that can be used or sold off with a donor vehicle. Mine turned into a shed and I am still taking parts off of it for something.
Even had a deer hanging in it during hunting season! Lol
Old 01-14-2014

Ok, I had this conversation with my mechanic who's company owns a good size school bus fleet, he felt the 5.9 was a great 50mph school bus engine, not a high speed continental cruiser for buses as heavy as ours. I have no experience with that motor, however.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 01-14-2014
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/12v.html
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 01-14-2014
Forum owner

How heavy is a 75FC?
Some of the 5.9's can make 300hp with ease.
I prefer the 8.3,but it is bigger than a 5.9.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-14-2014

Default Engine & Trans Conversion

Guys & Gals,
A year ago I bought a 1975 FC Bird. It had 50,000 miles, the bus was mechanically sound but the interior was worn out. I remodeled the interior and hit the road. BTW, I use this to tow a race car trailer. We put 4800 miles on it last year. Installed a new injection pump, air valve on the brakes, a couple of steer tires. We love our bus. That being said, it's a turtle! it will go 60 on flat land but just barely. in hills it's a different story. my plans are to re-power it this fall. my plans are to install a 12 valve Cummins engine & a 3000 series Allison trans. My engine builder for my race car also specializes in Cummins engines, he can build me a 350-400 HP engine that will still be dependable. There is a local trans shop that has done several 3000 series Allison conversions, so I'm good there. I'm a fabricator by trade, actually run an R&D department. Skill set is not an issue.

What I'm looking for is any help in regards to this swap. I know it's been done before but info regarding the small stuff would help. I'd rather source the parts to save a little, the things I am wondering about is compressor bracket, intercooler mounting, AC hookup ECT. I'll post pictures as I progress but any help getting started. pics from similar projects would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance to everyone!
Old 01-14-2014

There is alot of 5.9 cummins in busses ans rvs. If the gvw is around 20k give or take it would be fine. The 8.3 would be better. Kinda like a 6cyl in a pickup vs a v8, is there room for an 8.3 in a fc?
Old 01-14-2014

Would it be possible to combine this thread with Randys 1975 fc cummins....
Tim, Like I stated in Randys thread, a donor bus would be best, then you will have all the brackets and small odds and ends also. These busses are plastered all over and you can pick em up pretty cheap!
Old 01-14-2014

I had a 73 FC which was converted from the 3208 and they are slow especially on the hills. Keep in mind however that you have to stop them. Mine was a 31 footer and 300 hp would have been more then enough. These old buses are not built for speed and running over about 65 mph would scare me.

I'd stick with 300 hp and save the transmission and the fuel. Not that I am any type of expert on the subject. Just don't think you need or want 400 hp in a 75 fc.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigaxel View Post
Guys & Gals,
A year ago I bought a 1975 FC Bird. It had 50,000 miles, the bus was mechanically sound but the interior was worn out. I remodeled the interior and hit the road. BTW, I use this to tow a race car trailer. We put 4800 miles on it last year. Installed a new injection pump, air valve on the brakes, a couple of steer tires. We love our bus. That being said, it's a turtle! it will go 60 on flat land but just barely. in hills it's a different story. my plans are to re-power it this fall. my plans are to install a 12 valve Cummins engine & a 3000 series Allison trans. My engine builder for my race car also specializes in Cummins engines, he can build me a 350-400 HP engine that will still be dependable. There is a local trans shop that has done several 3000 series Allison conversions, so I'm good there. I'm a fabricator by trade, actually run an R&D department. Skill set is not an issue.

What I'm looking for is any help in regards to this swap. I know it's been done before but info regarding the small stuff would help. I'd rather source the parts to save a little, the things I am wondering about is compressor bracket, intercooler mounting, AC hookup ECT. I'll post pictures as I progress but any help getting started. pics from similar projects would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance to everyone!
The 5.9 and 8.3 Cummins both use a direct mount Air Compressor. No mounts required.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656