Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 06-25-2015

Default Radiator- Aluminum vrs. Copper

I have been reading a lot about radiator updates and found this interesting.

http://www.cgj.com/en/2013/07/02/alu...usceptibility/

The most interesting point to me is what they say about the life of a radiator being 6-12 years max. (They do sell radiators however)
My radiator is still working but showing more signs of heating up so I pulled it and it looks worse now that I can see it close up. Inside doesn't look as bad but I am either going re-core or Aluminum. I am running to a couple of places Friday with it to compare costs.
I am curious if being in the rear rocks flip up to cause all the fin damage there is. I have Simple Greened it each summer season and moved the slobber tube away from the lower left corner too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JOHNS - WIN_20150625_074602.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	36442  
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."

Last edited by biobug; 06-25-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-25-2015

I am glad I decided to pull the radiator. I pulled the top radiator hose to replace it because it is too short to swing the radiator out and this is the close call I averted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JOHNS - WIN_20150625_103415.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	36443  
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 06-25-2015

I am old school. Copper for big rads. I have 8 rads around the farm from 25 to 47 years old. The 47 yo rad needs replacing, the others good.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 06-25-2015
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by biobug View Post
I am glad I decided to pull the radiator. I pulled the top radiator hose to replace it because it is too short to swing the radiator out and this is the close call I averted.
John, Yikes, what was it rubbing on?

Willl you be able to swing the rad it wide open with a longer hose? I can get mine out about 45 degrees, just barely enough, more open would be better...

That's a lot of bent fin area, I wonder if mine is that bad
We pulled the first two Umptanum grades out of Yakima without incident on the way home this week. The third and last grade, just before the scenic overlook, required a few minutes on the shoulder cooling down before getting over. A bigger/better radiator should be standard equipment on mountain state SPs. And maybe FCs, too Let us know what you find, maybe a group buy on radiators?
Full-time in 2019
Old 06-25-2015

I will. The rubbing was on the bottom side where it goes thru the shrouding to the radiator. A little longer one will clear better I think. The one I took off was just 20" and I am thinking 25 would be better.
porschenein59@gorge.net

Last edited by biobug; 06-25-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2015

anybody have any idea how many rows are in our radiators?
Old 06-25-2015

Mine has 3. I am going to see if 4 is possible tomorrow before I go check out a price of aluminum. From what I read I will be shocked at the price of a copper re-core vs. aluminum custom but of I can add a 4th row in the space it will probably copper .
porschenein59@gorge.net

Old 06-25-2015
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biobug View Post
Mine has 3. I am going to see if 4 is possible tomorrow before I go check out a price of aluminum. From what I read I will be shocked at the price of a copper re-core vs. aluminum custom but of I can add a 4th row in the space it will probably copper .

Check first to see how close your clearance is between the radiator and the fan, we had to experiment with different fans to get the proper clearance on my new custom built split radiator.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-25-2015
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

When Jed and I worked on his radiator recently I remember the shop owner saying "if you ever want to replace that thing we have newer designs that work much better". I'm not sure what he meant as copper is a great conductor and if I remember the radiator was at least a 4 row.

But I have this swing radiator stuff licked. My radiator just comes straight out about 4 feet so I can work on the front of the bus.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1122081414.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	36449  
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 06-25-2015

I have 2 1/4" clearance on the engine side between the fan and the core and 1/2-3/4 " on the back side . I am heading to RSH Radiator in Sweet Home first as they do both and have great reviews. If I have no luck there I will hit Macs Radiator in Portland. I can check to see what discount there is for more than one .
http://radiatorsupplyhouse.com
porschenein59@gorge.net