Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 06-26-2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwtw View Post
Is that a recore, as in reusing your tanks? I guess that would be a complete new one as your tanks would not work with the extra row. If that truly turns out to be the price they will have sold at least one more. Can you ship a radiator?
need more info seems to good to be true.
Old 06-26-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwtw View Post
Is that a recore, as in reusing your tanks? I guess that would be a complete new one as your tanks would not work with the extra row. If that truly turns out to be the price they will have sold at least one more. Can you ship a radiator?
You can add an extra row of tubes of the tank headers are wide enough. Our 4-row core was recored using 5-rows of tubes without any problems.

Bill B.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 06-26-2015

I had the leaking radiator in my former SOB rebuilt by http://seattleradiator.net/radiators.html

They recommended a "high efficiency core" - made sense so they replaced the existing core with the high-efficiency core and it works very well. This aluminum vs. copper discussion is from their links page:

http://www.caparadiator.com/aluminumvscopper.html

That page also describes a high-efficiency core. When (not if) I need to have the BB radiator repaired, I'm going back to Seattle radiator and have them re-core with the high-efficiency core. Very good guys, great service.

jphoenix13@me.com
www.jimphoenix.com
Old 06-26-2015
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Excellent read on the copper vs aluminum radiators. Still not sold on aluminum but am sold on a modified copper!
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 06-26-2015

OK, I just got home (360 mile round trip.) They are recoring my tanks to 4 rows and re-mounting it back in the frame for $745.00 There was options of some new radiators in stock in 3 row but I want 4. They advertise 10,000 in stock and I believe them. They do ship all over the world but to duplicate the one I am getting the old radiator would have to be sent to them. He said that it will be done in 3 days which surprised me. They are 8-10 days out on aluminum but he highly discouraged aluminum in the rear configuration due to potential damage and after looking close at my core I would have to agree. Copper/brass is much easier to repair if there is damage. ( My CAC looks fine however.)
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 07-11-2015

So John, When I talked to you the other day, you were going on a test run the next day. So, how'd she do???
"Dream Chaser"
Old 07-11-2015

I just ended up driving into town and did not take it up the mountain like I should have. I was trying to see if my new digital TV drew any stations where I should be able to get reception as we are in a hole at home and don't. I ended up getting mad since I couldn't get power to the TV. Grr. After I got home I found I had turned off the inverter for some reason. The temperature was about 100 degrees and I used the dash air which surprised me in that is was blowing cool air. I did not have a belt on it until now so it was a pleasant surprise. It showed no signs of overheating and stayed on 190 the whole time . I need to get it back out and push it to see . My electric fans were not on either and now they are ready to see if they help. I will post when I do.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 07-28-2015

John, How's the radiator doing? I'm holding off ordering from them until we get a progress report from you.
"Dream Chaser"
Old 07-28-2015

I apologize for dropping the ball with this thread. I updated everything on the results on a specific SP "Swing the radiator" thread and forgot this one.

My results have been great so far with the hot temperatures we have been having. I had not had the front air compressor belt on since I first bought the coach. I put a belt on with the advent of cooler temperatures and find the front air works great and no heating issues at all. On our last trip to Oregon City and back it never hit 190 degrees even on hills. It pretty much stayed at 180 until longer hills like into Hood River and to our house.
I am very happy with the results and definitely recommend
www.radiatorsupplyhouse.com for their work and customer service. They do not use any solder in redoing their radiators-only copper and brass and I think it makes a difference. The core has still has plenty of space between it and the fan. All in all very happy with them.
porschenein59@gorge.net

Old 07-28-2015

Thanks, John. I am placing my order today. They are building me a whole new radiator, tanks and all, 4 tube, high efficiency. My tanks are not in great shape. $1199.00 plus $150 freight to Albuquerque. Local shop quoted me $3500-4K.

Thanks for the thread and all of the info. I look forward to meeting you at Quartzite!
"Dream Chaser"