Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 10-13-2008
hturner 12

Default 1974 ford gasser on Atlanta craigs list (FOR SALE AGAIN AFTER UPDATING)

I do not know any thing about this. I was going truth craigs list and spotted it.

http://tinyurl.com/4km7sk

74 FC33 for sale
September 9, 2012

This 'Bird is FOR SALE now after it was purchased from the original Craigs List adv and taken through the modifications found in this thread;

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeperry1 View Post
My 1974 Bluebird is for Sale, I am moving and have no place safe to keep her. Her history is well documented in this thread:

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?p=176898#post176898

I am asking $15,000 which barely represents my cost for the materials alone, she is in good working order with typical wear and tear for a 35 year old RV. Everything works and I'd take her across country today with confidence. Currently located in Chesapeake, Virginia. May end up in Waynesboro, Virginia if no takers soon. Give me a call or email w/questions (757) 572-4813

Thanks,
Chesapeake, Va

Last edited by iamflagman; 09-09-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Added Sept 9, 2012 FOR SALE
Old 10-20-2008

Don't bother wasting you time and effort. This coach is nearby. I looked at it and found the windows open including the roof vents, vagrants living in it after they jimmied the door lock, and the interior is trashed. Has a ding on the rear end, needs paint, the engine had not been started for months, genset does not run. etc, etc. Its ready to go alright; to the junk yard.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 10-20-2008

Default old bus

I get a kick out of this stuff. There are a BUNCH of old BB'd which are advertised around or under 10k which need 20 or 30 k to fix up. Price isn't cost. And on the other hand you can buy a beautiful FC for 20 to 25 ready to go. Think about it. And for 50 you can buy a BB to die for. Last year when I was looking for my FC I looked at several which if offered to me for nothing I doubt if I would have taken them. But they sold them. Some people just want cheap. And if you can do ALL the work it might be fine. They all need some work. To each his own.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 02-02-2009
Medicup

Hi, i'm new to the group. I have been looking for an older wanderlodge for some time and I bought this one. As you have already read, this old bird fell into a streak of bad luck, most everything stated so far is true. I took a true gamble on this and agreed to purchase it based on the sellers description, which as you noted was not totally acurate. It was billed as "ready-to-go", this proved to be totally false, it took me two days to get it into semi-drivable condition and a couple of hundred dollars. I almost walked away and asked the seller for a ride back to the airport.
That was four weeks ago, I managed to drive the thing from Gainesville GA to Virginia with more than a couple of questionable moments along the way. I have spent about $1800 and lot of labor so far and it appears to have been time/money well spent. The bottom line was as someone noted earlier, I needed an inexpensive option and I have the skills required to deal with a fixer-upper. Here is the run down on what has been done, what the seller did not know and what still needs to be done.
The good:
-Newer tires
-Rebuilt Jasper 391 engine
-New brakes
-New shocks
-Upgraded propane heater
-Upgraded Dometic refridgerator
-Newer roof AC units
THE BAD:
-master cylinder-leaking
-Alternator-doa
-Distributor-bent shaft
-Exhaust-mufflers exploded
-Plumbing (gas, fresh water,waste)-no broken pipes, bad heater & waste tank
-interior neglected-mismatched seats, bases, old blinds & curtains
-wiper blades-wrong ones
-lights-replaced/rebuilt all of them
-wiring- removed over 100ft. of unused/improper wiring
I truely believe this bird is going to get my family and I across country this summer and back, sure I'm gonna have to put some work into it, but I know once I've gone through it that it will be rock solid. It is running great now and is 90% complete and operational. This is what can happen to your bird if you have the wrong people working on your rig, 90% of the problems with this bird that I found where due to unqualified people working on it, the other 10% was the seller taking someone elses word that things had been fixed.

74 FC Perry
Old 02-02-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default It can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeperry1 View Post
Hi, i'm new to the group. I have been looking for an older wanderlodge for some time and I bought this one. As you have already read, this old bird fell into a streak of bad luck, most everything stated so far is true. I took a true gamble on this and agreed to purchase it based on the sellers description, which as you noted was not totally acurate. It was billed as "ready-to-go", this proved to be totally false, it took me two days to get it into semi-drivable condition and a couple of hundred dollars. I almost walked away and asked the seller for a ride back to the airport.
That was four weeks ago, I managed to drive the thing from Gainesville GA to Virginia with more than a couple of questionable moments along the way. I have spent about $1800 and lot of labor so far and it appears to have been time/money well spent. The bottom line was as someone noted earlier, I needed an inexpensive option and I have the skills required to deal with a fixer-upper. Here is the run down on what has been done, what the seller did not know and what still needs to be done.
The good:
-Newer tires
-Rebuilt Jasper 391 engine
-New brakes
-New shocks
-Upgraded propane heater
-Upgraded Dometic refridgerator
-Newer roof AC units
THE BAD:
-master cylinder-leaking
-Alternator-doa
-Distributor-bent shaft
-Exhaust-mufflers exploded
-Plumbing (gas, fresh water,waste)-no broken pipes, bad heater & waste tank
-interior neglected-mismatched seats, bases, old blinds & curtains
-wiper blades-wrong ones
-lights-replaced/rebuilt all of them
-wiring- removed over 100ft. of unused/improper wiring
I truely believe this bird is going to get my family and I across country this summer and back, sure I'm gonna have to put some work into it, but I know once I've gone through it that it will be rock solid. It is running great now and is 90% complete and operational. This is what can happen to your bird if you have the wrong people working on your rig, 90% of the problems with this bird that I found where due to unqualified people working on it, the other 10% was the seller taking someone elses word that things had been fixed.

74 FC Perry
Hi Allen,

Until I looked at your profile I couldn't tell if Perry was your name or where you lived as in Perry, GA So I'm going to suggest that you make up a little more descriptive permanent signature for your posts by reading How To Post A New Topic Message Or A Reply To A Topic and Add Your Signature

If you haven't already you may want to take a look at my web site http://www.pbase.com/image/24977457 to see what can be done with A CHALLENGED 'BIRD is the way I will put what my 'Bird was like when I brought it home from Texas, so even though you have a similar challenge in remodeling your 'Bird it can be done with your skills, patience and determination and the help of the members here on the forum.

Just let us know if you have any questions, now get to work you have a lot to do

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-02-2009

Smile

I have to say, you got the nads man. If we can help let us know. I can't wait to see it at RATS.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 02-02-2009
Forum owner

Leroys right!
welcome to the sandbox!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-02-2009
Administrator

Good Luck & Welcome,

We like to hear the whole story , Keep posting your findings and fixes.
Old 02-02-2009

how in the world do you bend a distributer shaft? if you need any help on how it should look my old 69 is as far as I can tell very original
Old 02-02-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Check out Mike Hohnstein's PRISON BUS

Allen,

Check out Mike Hohnstein's "PRISON BUS" that I just added to this sub-forum. I also moved your thread over here to the 'Bird Projects & Modifications sub forum as it is definitely a PROJECT worth following now.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11