Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > RV Buying Scams

RV Buying Scams Do you know of any RV related scams, if so list them here.

Site Search:

Old 08-08-2016
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Default Too good to be true on Craigslist

I know all our member are too smart to fall for this but still a good reminder scammers are always looking for a new angle.

I own a couple of the old jeep Cherokees because they are easy tows and always looking for another at a good price, so I watch Craigslist local markets. A couple of months ago there was a listing popped up, a perfect 2000 for some unbelievable price. I thought the price was a mistake but I was still interested and tried without success to contact the seller, but never could. So yesterday a similar ad, this time a 1999, was posted in two different markets, two different phone numbers, again wee too cheap. I called one, no answer, text the other. I got a text late last night that ask for my e mail to send pictures. I sent it back and ask where I could see the car. I got an e mail and about 10 pictures of a perfect car. I sent back an e mail asking where and when I can see the car. I will probably never hear from them again. There are too many of these and too small an amount for authorities to spend much time chasing, which make this a perfect scam.
Both of the ads are gone this morning, but here is the e mail.

Hello there,

My 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic, is still for sale.This SUV is in great shape. I’m the original owner. It has no damage, no scratches, dents or hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn’t been involved in any accident…Has only 77,785 miles, its automatic, with an 4.0L 6 cylinders engine,4x4, red exterior and gray interior.
I have a clear title, without liens or loans on it, under my name. I am selling it at this final price of $1,500 because my husband died 1 month ago (he had a heart attack) and it brings me bad memories and that’s the reason I want to sell it a.s.a.p. I want to use eBay services for the safety of both of us so if you’re interested in purchasing this vehicle, I can notify eBay that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

Thank you,
Alicia Giorza [aliciagiorza80@gmail.com]
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com

Last edited by Dieselbird01; 10-07-2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Edit Title
Old 08-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon View Post
I know all our member are too smart to fall for this but still a good reminder scammers are always looking for a new angle.

I own a couple of the old jeep Cherokees because they are easy tows and always looking for another at a good price, so I watch Craigslist local markets. A couple of months ago there was a listing popped up, a perfect 2000 for some unbelievable price. I thought the price was a mistake but I was still interested and tried without success to contact the seller, but never could. So yesterday a similar ad, this time a 1999, was posted in two different markets, two different phone numbers, again wee too cheap. I called one, no answer, text the other. I got a text late last night that ask for my e mail to send pictures. I sent it back and ask where I could see the car. I got an e mail and about 10 pictures of a perfect car. I sent back an e mail asking where and when I can see the car. I will probably never hear from them again. There are too many of these and too small an amount for authorities to spend much time chasing, which make this a perfect scam.
Both of the ads are gone this morning, but here is the e mail.

Hello there,

My 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic, is still for sale.This SUV is in great shape. I’m the original owner. It has no damage, no scratches, dents or hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn’t been involved in any accident…Has only 77,785 miles, its automatic, with an 4.0L 6 cylinders engine,4x4, red exterior and gray interior.
I have a clear title, without liens or loans on it, under my name. I am selling it at this final price of $1,500 because my husband died 1 month ago (he had a heart attack) and it brings me bad memories and that’s the reason I want to sell it a.s.a.p. I want to use eBay services for the safety of both of us so if you’re interested in purchasing this vehicle, I can notify eBay that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

Thank you,
Alicia Giorza [aliciagiorza80@gmail.com]
I assume the intention is to have a bunch of people front the $1500 and no one gets the car. Right? How would eBay be involved? How's that supposed to work?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 08-08-2016

Years ago, the beginnings of Ebay if you can remember back that far...I got involved buying a tractor from the state of Washington. Same thing..way underpriced...had to go. The seller even had his uncle, a trucker would deliver for free on his schedule. He used an Ebay service, Ebay gets the money and title when everyone is happy funds are released. It Sounded good, they had pro looking websites, links to BBB. I was just about ready to commit the cash, but something just didn't seem right. Checked the sellers email address and all sorts of flags and scam warnings went off. I contacted the State of Washington Consumer affairs and was basically told it's just about impossible to convict these scams over state lines. The state almost needed to catch the crooks with cash in hand
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 08-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
I assume the intention is to have a bunch of people front the $1500 and no one gets the car. Right? How would eBay be involved? How's that supposed to work?
Sounds like the "key" here is E-bay will contact you and tell you what and how to do it. WHICH IS A NO NO!!!! Never ever open a link and respond to a link that is going to ask you for stuff like SSN, bank accounts and so on.
These people are good and can make those e-mail message look very "official". The only way to do anything properly is for you to go to the "official" web site, log in and go from there. Never respond with any information if "they" send you something.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 08-08-2016
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Well they are wrote back,, they are going to ship it to me free!! wonder if that would not cost more than the $1500???
here is their e mail and my response.

Hi again,
As I have told you in previous email my husband died recently. I had to move out and now I am living with my parents in Omaha, Nebraska. At the moment they are the only ones I can rely on. The vehicle is at the shipping company sealed and ready for the shipping. The deal includes free delivery and it will arrive at your address in 2-4 days. Once you will get the vehicle you will have 5 days to try it out prior to making any purchase. In the case that you feel that the vehicle is not suitable,you can just return it all fees being on my expense. When receiving it you will have as well all the documents including title, sale bill , 2 sets of keys, full service records and more. The title and the bill of sale will be notarized and signed by me. If you are interested in knowing more info about how it works, I can ask eBay to send you an email with more information on how to purchase it. Please reply with your whole name, a delivery address including (street, city,state, zip code) and ph# and they will contact you right away. As soon as I hear that from you I will initiate the transaction through them.
Have a great day,
Sincerely,
Alicia Giorza,

My sympathies to you and your situation. I want to make this as easy as possible for you.

No problem, I will drive to see the car. Just give me address and contact info of the shipping company.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 08-08-2016

So what they are trying to do is get "into" your accounts some how? I'm not too clear on what their goal is here.

What's clearly a give a way is just how helpful they are being. Shipping for free? Come on? It could easily cost $1500 to ship the car. If it was in anyway ligit they may as well just put the car at the end of the drive with a free sign on it.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 08-08-2016

What you should do is tell her you just so happen to live just outside of Omaha, and will pick up the car in person, paying her at that point. If she responds at all, it will be to tell you that the car had to be moved across the country for some reason. But this is a SCAM!

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 08-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
So what they are trying to do is get "into" your accounts some how? I'm not too clear on what their goal is here.

What's clearly a give a way is just how helpful they are being. Shipping for free? Come on? It could easily cost $1500 to ship the car. If it was in anyway ligit they may as well just put the car at the end of the drive with a free sign on it.
John, There are a lot of different methods used, but based on they statement they made that "e-bay will send you instructions" tells me they not e-bay is going to send you something, that if you should fall for it and fill out the information they want, they will get you.

There are a number of other ways these scum work. It all comes down to somebody trying to get a "deal of a lifetime" and they fall for it. I have dealt a couple of times with selling stuff. I even had them send money to my account and I gave them my account number. But I have one set up that has no possible contact with anything else I have. After the bank tells me the funds have cleared I send or release the item. I keep it open with $5 in it. This same account can be used to send money. Again, no contact with anything else. I use PayPal as much as I can. There is a cost but pretty safe. So far I have dealt across the Canadian border and within the US and have done it safely.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 08-08-2016
Gardner

Lets see, hubby died a month ago and the car is all packed up and ready to ship!
Purchase plus shipping, $1500. I wonder if her hubby is packed in it as well
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 08-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Lets see, hubby died a month ago and the car is all packed up and ready to ship!
Purchase plus shipping, $1500. I wonder if her hubby is packed in it as well
Well, If he's in the trunk it sure would explain the low price. No room for the golf clubs.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold