Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 10-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
All this talk about how great it is to have a Samsung or other house refrigerator in our birds, I went and got the dimensions of the Samsung, and then measured my space. If I was to install one, it is too tall! The top would be into the cabinet above the current Dometic. Even removing the cabinet below and having the refrigerator on the floor.
Anyone else have this problem, and how did you deal with it???

Thanks!
Brian,

I used a couple friends with an extension ladder on a saw horse to make the slide to get the Dometic refer out. It wasn't too bad. No one hurt and BB undamaged. The refer was junk. Make sure to save the door panels as they come in handy since they match the interior.

The Samsung is taller than the Dometic so it was a bit harder to get it in through the front door as I only had about 1/2 inch in width to play with. The Home Depot delivery contractors said it would not fit. They have such little faith. It hit the dash before we could turn it so we had to pick it up and over the dash then turn into the living room but it worked out. It would have been much harder without removing the passenger seat.

The Home Depot guys were pretty impressed. They never used a ladder as a slide before. I paid them $20 each and they were very happy!

I left the upper cabinet in place and used some of the wood from the lower cabinet to level the floor for the refer. Mine does protrude about 2" more that I would like but there was a drain pipe that kept me from pushing the refer further back into the wall. I used some of the black trim from the Dometic to trim out the opening. I just left the top 3-4 inches open for venting.

I am happy with the installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung Refer.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	45242  
Paul@SmithZR1.com
512 450 8291

Old 10-03-2016
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

We actually cut the front section off of the old fridge. The walls were just Styrofoam, and a sazall made quick work tho a little messy, but made removal easy.
As has been mentioned, the control box in the center of the rear is the highest point you will have to clear. My back wall had an angled piece of plywood that had to be reconfigured to allow enough height at rear top point. My walk way was very close to the shower, so pretty limited walk space and necessary to push the fridge back as far as possible to have good clearance around the rounded front on the fridge and the rounded handle in front of that.
We originally mounted the fridge with the box front even with the front of the opening, leaving the entire door outside the space so the doors would open all the way. We decided the door would open OK with it pushed back another inch.
This made a lot of difference in the walk way.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 10-30-2016

My dilemma is that I want my Norcold 1200 lrim cause it's dual function LP/electric.
I found a replacement (recall done) and am considering replacing my that is n the shop right now with a new control board and they say it cools then shuts down. So before I do this myself, is there anyone near Miami Fl. that actually knows what they are doing?
And if I decide to proceeed with the new/used one I found ,will it fit through my 98 LXI's front door? Don't mind removing the pass seat.
Old 10-30-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatsorider View Post
And if I decide to proceeed with the new/used one I found ,will it fit through my 98 LXI's front door? Don't mind removing the pass seat.
I can't help you out with someone who knows what they are doing but I can tell you my 1200 series refer went out the door when my 15 year old son and I removed it to install the new Samsung. We did remove the doors to the refer first to get it out and we had already removed the passenger seat. If you have trim around the entry door shade I would remove that too. I wish I had removed it on my 98!

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677
Old 10-31-2016
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Quote:
My dilemma is that I want my Norcold 1200 lrim cause it's dual function LP/electric.
I found a replacement (recall done) and am considering replacing my that is n the shop right now with a new control board and they say it cools then shuts down. So before I do this myself, is there anyone near Miami Fl. that actually knows what they are doing?
Juan, we bought our coach because it had a LP fridge, we did not want a household fridge. But the Samsung is not the average home fridge. It pulls so very little elect. Unless you are doing extended dry camping, the Samsung is the best and cheapest choice. As you well know, the best RV fridge is still a long ways from desirable.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 10-31-2016

I would chose the Samsung even if ALL my camping was dry. Also, it is 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the Norcold or Dometic and does not require de-icing every 1 to 2 months.
Old 10-31-2016

I see that a lot of folks don't mind the Samsung and if it can run it off my inverter than I'm sure it would work. Do you have the model number and I asked before but I want to make sure, will it fit through my 98 LXI front door both new and old units just removing the pass seat and the door curtain trim? I have heard I have to remove the front windshield.
Old 10-31-2016
Forum owner

Quote:
I see that a lot of folks don't mind the Samsung and if it can run it off my inverter than I'm sure it would work. Do you have the model number and I asked before but I want to make sure, will it fit through my 98 LXI front door both new and old units just removing the pass seat and the door curtain trim? I have heard I have to remove the front windshield.
Theres lots of info on this mod,several threads on just whats need with pics.
Use the google search..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-31-2016
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Here's a link

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...RF18HFENBSR/AA
Old 10-31-2016
BIG MAMA

Samsung, 17.8 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in Platinum, RF197ACPN at The Home Depot

We got the Platinum as it does not show fingerprints like the stainless.....we love it. Food stays even temp. No frozen lettuce.....however ice cream stays frozen!!!
2001 LXI single slide

04 M 380.......with goat rails SOLD