Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 03-16-2009
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

John,

Seeing that you brought up the subject of length, I will ask. How long it the Bella Mia? I thought she was 36'.

You got her on steroids?

See your signature below.
Am I missing something?

"John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 40
The Bella Mia"

Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 03-16-2009

It is 36 ft, all this time I did not notice. But I haven't looked lately I was considering propane injections but that wouldn't make her longer would it?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold

Last edited by bubblerboy64; 03-16-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: add to
Old 03-16-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
It is 36 ft, all this time I did not notice. But I haven't looked lately I was considering propane injections but that wouldn't make her longer would it?
No.....................it would just give her GAS

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 04-10-2009

Default Update on the updates

Heck-man has been at it. With the help of Randy, Tom, Shane, Rob I have a list of improvements and modifications completed during and since Maxton and Myrtle Beach.

Upon arriving I had a water leak resulting from a cracked water regulator. The plastic one which is inside the little door and on to which you attach the hose to fill the bus. This I feel certainly occurred because a little water as settled into that thing and froze over the winter and cracked the plastic regulator. I could see after getting into it that this had happened before to one of the two PO's and in fact it was discovered that there was a spare regulator in the "parts" box which I was given. Since this was an apparently more then once problem I elected to eliminate that plastic bit and the regulator entirely. I went to a copper attachment into the holding tank and I will use a regulator on the hose rather then one on the bus. Randy and Rob fixed a non functioning hot water heater for me which after some checking turned out to be a simple reset of the over heat protection bottom on the water heater. This I am certain was a result of my accidentally bumping on the water heater while it was drained over the winter. I'll remember that one. A lot of work getting into that area to diagnose the problem. Fortunately a simple fix.

I finished up the prosine install by getting a fan mounted and working in the compartment Shane used for the unit. It was placed back of and above the tag wheel as is typical for the PT buses. Decided to cut a hole through the sheet metal to duct air into the compartment. Want to know how well a BB is built? Try cutting a hole in one.

Interior, finished the Bose system and Vu Qube set ups. Also got a couple new bulbs and ballasts in the kitchen over head counter lighting so that all four are now working.

Replaced the coach and start batteries after finding a couple weak cells and a couple dead ones. Batteries were not that old but the PO had a charger which likely wasn't ideal and as we know if you abuse 'em they don't last. Changed from the 12 volts to 6 volts. Made up new cables and ordered a watering system.

A goodly amount checked off the list but I've added some as well. Need a A C relay to the generator battery and on and on. I try to do at least a little bit each week, I think this is a little bit like owning a boat? Never completely done.

Again thanks to all of you guys who helped and to the forum members who are interested and a valuable source of information. It would be almost impossible to go it alone on this stuff.

If I get a nice day I'd like to wash the bus, it needs it.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 02-24-2010

John Heckman and Joe Garner,

I have a 87 PT40 and want to swap out the battery boilers and the inverter like you have done.

Do you have any pics of your work that might help me out?

John, you mentioned that you ran 110 wires (residential copper romex?) from the charger bay to the inverter bay and connected them to the 110 wire that came from the old inverter and fed the coach. Correct?

You also mentioned that you connected other wires from the monitor panels to the new pro-sine. What monitor panel are you talking about. I am lost on this.

Thanks for the help!

Sincerely,

Matt
Old 02-24-2010

Hi Matt, The problem with being over 60 years of age is a fellow tends to forget the details. This has some advantage and some disadvantage. Pro-sine makes a monitor panel for their charger inverter units. I forget the number which I used but essentially it is gage to tell you what the batteries and the pro-sine unit are "doing". Go to their web site and I am certain you will get the information required. There is a telephone type wire running from that gage supplied by pro sine back to the pro-sine charger inverter. Like running any wire in a BB that was a challenge. I ran it from the overhead dash back the length of the bus and then down into the engine compartment. That was the hardest part of the install. Ran it through the race ways behind the cabinets.

Matt I put the charger inverter in the cubby hole in front of the engine compartment (back of the tag wheel) Hope you understand. Little hard to describe.

As for the cables. The pacs inverter was in one of the bays well forward of the pro sine location. BB ran heavy cable from the batteries to the pacs. Because I placed the inverter much closer to the batteries I could eliminate those heavy cables. Remember you have 110 coming out of the inverter. All I did was run 110 romex from the pro sine forward and spliced it into the original 110 wire running from the pacs. I believe I ran it through a conduit, I know I did forget what I used.

The only other thing was to get some air flow into that compartment to cool the pro-sine. Ended up cutting a vent hole through the side of the bus and then installing a fan so that I was certain I had some cooling of the unit. Everything has worked as it should to this point.

I have to give credit to Shane. He helped on this one. (Can you believe it's been a year) I don't have pictures but I'll try to help all I can. Shane also can provide some input on this one.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 02-26-2010

Smile

John

Thanks for the reply. Your descriptions are very clear and will be useful when I install my Prosine 2.0 that I ordered yesterday.

The install that you described is going to be very similar to mine.

The previous owner of my BB installed a squirl cage fan that blows from the engine compartment into the charger area. So, I may not have to make any modifications there other than making sure the air blown in has a way to escape after I enclose the bottom to keep the water out during wet driving conditions. I am also a little concerned that it is blowing warm air from the engine compartment into the charger area but at least it is air movement. If it seems to warm after I try this a few times I may have to come up with another plan for that blower.

Thanks again for the reply.
Old 02-26-2010
Gardner

Mathew,
My FC didn't have an inverter, so my installation was from scratch. It doesn't relate to a later model PT that had one to begin with.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-27-2010

OK Gardner, thanks for the info.
Old 02-27-2010

Mathew. As to cooling. I got a basement crawl space fan (110 volt) and made an custom cover for it and installed it so that it blows into the engine compartment. Simply plugged it into an outlet already in that compartment. I cut a hole thru the bus into that compartment and put a chrome cover over the hole.So I am pulling cold air into the compartment. Looks fine. Shane had done this to his bus. The chrome piece was from some boat application and if you are interested I'll find out what it was. Keeps water from coming into the compartment which wouldn't be good. I believe Gardner used the same thing. I too was concerned about blowing heat from the engine over the pro-sine. The fan runs anytime the generator is running or the bus is plugged into shore power. That seems to do the job. I believe that Shane has a 12 volt fan of some type.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold