Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems

Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems Here you will find some of the most frequently asked questions about the operating systems on a 'Bird. If you have one that you think should be added place it in here.

Site Search:

Old 11-28-2016

Prefer brake cleaner to either it doesn't seem to be as harsh on engine
Old 11-28-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiminDaze View Post
Joe,
Thanks for the reply. The primus was replaced years ago with a webasto but that hasn't worked for the past few years.

Thanks,
Andy
Well, that explains the non stock switches.... Can you contact the po and ask them about it?

/Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 11-28-2016

Lesson told me many years back. Don't continuously crank on the cold engine. First, it won't start, second it is tough on the starter, third it drains the battery quicker.
If you have to try and start around 40, flip the switch connecting all the batteries, crank it, let it rest a bit (the batteries have time to recover a little and the heat made during the compression stroke will dissipate and slightly warm the whole cylinder). Then, give it another few seconds of crank, rest it, crank it again. It works on the Chickadee, no guarantee on any other bus cause they all have their own quirks just like their owners.
The primus preheat system works pretty good, in my experience it's faster than the electric block heater.
Old 11-28-2016

A small spritz of ether will not hurt a 2 stroke detroit.... and it is totally fine to do before cranking. If you've ever done it you would notice it takes a few rotations to make it through the air intake track/turbo anyway. Detroits have cast iron pistons unlike most diesels which are cast aluminum. Cast aluminum CANNOT take ether. That being said .... an idiot can break anything. I always prefer plugging in, but in the event you don't want to wait or don't have access to power, ether (when used properly) will NOT hurt these motors. Most of them came from the factory with ether for cold starting since the beginning of time. My detroit powered pickup has much larger than stock injectors and is absolutely terrible to start cold, anything below 35 i give it a small spritz before cranking and its usually running within 6-10 revolutions. It really saves on batteries, and the entire cranking and charging system (alternators don't like charging dead batteries either). If it's below 20 i try to plug it in as the 40 weight gets so thick cold it really doesn't like to even turn. I guess what I'm saying is that with proper care and judgement ether won't hurt it. However if it doesn't start at 40 with a very small spritz you have another issue do not keep spraying. At 40deg my 90wb is running within 2 revolutions without ether. Go with your gut if you feel like something is wrong reach out for assistance.
Old 11-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne64SS View Post
A small spritz of ether will not hurt a 2 stroke detroit.... and it is totally fine to do before cranking. If you've ever done it you would notice it takes a few rotations to make it through the air intake track/turbo anyway. Detroits have cast iron pistons unlike most diesels which are cast aluminum. Cast aluminum CANNOT take ether. That being said .... an idiot can break anything. I always prefer plugging in, but in the event you don't want to wait or don't have access to power, ether (when used properly) will NOT hurt these motors. Most of them came from the factory with ether for cold starting since the beginning of time. My detroit powered pickup has much larger than stock injectors and is absolutely terrible to start cold, anything below 35 i give it a small spritz before cranking and its usually running within 6-10 revolutions. It really saves on batteries, and the entire cranking and charging system (alternators don't like charging dead batteries either). If it's below 20 i try to plug it in as the 40 weight gets so thick cold it really doesn't like to even turn. I guess what I'm saying is that with proper care and judgement ether won't hurt it. However if it doesn't start at 40 with a very small spritz you have another issue do not keep spraying. At 40deg my 90wb is running within 2 revolutions without ether. Go with your gut if you feel like something is wrong reach out for assistance.
Good information Wayne. I've always climbed up on a ladder and sprayed a little in the air intake with is WAY up stream from the engine. Figuring it had to process thru the air cleaner and all the associated plumbing. I have also found that your method of starting cranking then waiting and cranking again will often start the engine in marginal temperatures. I make every effort to start AFTER running heaters for at least an hour or two. This information is helpful in an emergency situation when you just can't wait and you have no help available. I also try very hard to do what Shane has suggested. Once she's running drive it and get it completely warmed up before shutting down.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-29-2016

What I did on mine to make it easier since if I'm on the road I know i won't have a ladder is i took off the air cleaner cover (it's circular and held in with 4 nuts). The cover has a pipe thread nut on the end in the center and if you take the nut off it there is a port there that can be used for a restriction gauge etc. I drilled out that port with a small drill bit so now all i need is a can of ether and an adjustable wrench if i'm in a pickle. If you take the cover off and actually look at how it works that port is mostly sealed off except for a tiny hole in the filter metal as it's just really for referencing restriction.
Old 11-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne64SS View Post
What I did on mine to make it easier since if I'm on the road I know i won't have a ladder is i took off the air cleaner cover (it's circular and held in with 4 nuts). The cover has a pipe thread nut on the end in the center and if you take the nut off it there is a port there that can be used for a restriction gauge etc. I drilled out that port with a small drill bit so now all i need is a can of ether and an adjustable wrench if i'm in a pickle. If you take the cover off and actually look at how it works that port is mostly sealed off except for a tiny hole in the filter metal as it's just really for referencing restriction.
Or I guess a fellow could drill a small hole thru the end of that lid and just put an rubber cork in the hole? If we're planning ahead (which is always a good idea)

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-29-2016

you could yes... but its much easier to drill through the port i described (its really soft) plus i really like that it is threaded so you know it's sealed up properly. i've been called anal before.
Old 11-29-2016

Once I used two large cans of WD40 spraying at the same time to start a Cummins. I sprayed the WD40 after the air filter. The other person was in the cab and using the normal key switch. (They had run the truck out of fuel.) Once the engine changed tone I quit spraying and the engine was idling on fuel. Would that work and be better than either?
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 11-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
Once I used two large cans of WD40 spraying at the same time to start a Cummins. I sprayed the WD40 after the air filter. The other person was in the cab and using the normal key switch. (They had run the truck out of fuel.) Once the engine changed tone I quit spraying and the engine was idling on fuel. Would that work and be better than either?
Brad, I've heard WD40 is better than ether. I've used it a couple of times after working on my Kubota tractor and it worked just fine. It is a lot safer and not anywhere near as explosive as ether.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN