Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > AZ Hot Birds

AZ Hot Birds Here is where you will find the latest information about the Arizona Hot Birds (AZ Hot Birds) Rallies and other gatherings.

Site Search:

Old 01-19-2017
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaaksma View Post
No worries. Kids don't get up till 7:30. Expect them at your door around 7:32. They like pancakes, waffles, yogurt, juice,..................Brush their teeth before sending them back.
Ah.. the FUN begins... I love "family"!
We put the FUN in dysFUNctional!
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 04-22-2017

Is there a recommended back way from PHX north to Kaibab/Flagstaff with interesting towns?

Back to wanna be status
Old 04-22-2017

I bet the PHX guys will jump in on this...

When I plan on heading east on I40 from Sedona I'll head south to Cottonwood, then I17 South to Prescott Valley, then north on 89 to Ash Fork.

That puts you east of Kaibab though.

I17 to I40 is probably the best...

HTH, Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 04-22-2017

Better check your compass (or is it your gps) Joe, 89 from Prescott Valley puts you WEST of Kaibab. The bad part is you hit I-40 at the bottom of about 17 miles of 6 and 7% upgrade. I often go that way myself, almost identical mileage, you have the same climb on I- 17, just a little chance to get a run at it. Just so you know what you are getting into, you make a right turn onto the on ramp and it doesn't level out until you hit Williams.
I, and Mike Putz too have gone this way, overnighting at the Prescott Wal-Mart. Breaks up the drive and if you leave early enough, Prescott is one of the most interesting towns in the State, it is the original Territorial Capitol.
I don't recommend driving around the town of Prescott in the bus though. Williams and Flagstaff are also very interesting towns with a lot to see and learn. We'll probably do at least one group field trip into Williams.
HTH
Dave

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 04-22-2017

Another thing I don't recommend (although it is shorter from your side of town) is U.S. 60 to Wickenburg then U.S. 89 from there to Prescott.
Ask Fred Engle about Yarnell Hill.

THE SHORT BUS

Last edited by MRPutz; 04-22-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTW1086@cox.net View Post
Better check your compass (or is it your gps) Joe, 89 from Prescott Valley puts you WEST of Kaibab. The bad part is you hit I-40 at the bottom of about 17 miles of 6 and 7% upgrade. I often go that way myself, almost identical mileage, you have the same climb on I- 17, just a little chance to get a run at it. Just so you know what you are getting into, you make a right turn onto the on ramp and it doesn't level out until you hit Williams.
I, and Mike Putz too have gone this way, overnighting at the Prescott Wal-Mart. Breaks up the drive and if you leave early enough, Prescott is one of the most interesting towns in the State, it is the original Territorial Capitol.
I don't recommend driving around the town of Prescott in the bus though. Williams and Flagstaff are also very interesting towns with a lot to see and learn. We'll probably do at least one group field trip into Williams.
HTH
Dave

LOL!!

Thanks for the directions!! It is west of Kaibab!

I 17 -> I 40 gets you up a little higher though, you go over the Arizona Divide at 7335 ft.

Not sure of the max elevation, but Prescott is ~5300. I figure there is a little saving going that way ;}

YMMV, Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 04-22-2017
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Another thing I don't recommend (although it is shorter from your side of town) is U.S. 60 to Wickenburg then U.S. 89 from there to Prescott.
Ask Fred Engle about Yarnell Hill.
I've taken all 3 ways and many times each. I typically travel 89 via Prescott now. With all the climbs it has the least aggressive and seems easier on the bus. If you don't believe me come back via 17 and climb the hill from he** outside Camp Verde.

I17-I40 is the common way with some steep grades heading South
I17-69-89-40 is good way but there are some single lane roads (I take this most the time)
60-89-40 via Yarnell is neet but lots of switchbacks and slow.

Prescott is a good place to visit but bring a tow'd. Flag is not RV friendly (at all).
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 04-22-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
I've taken all 3 ways and many times each. I typically travel 89 via Prescott now. With all the climbs it has the least aggressive and seems easier on the bus. If you don't believe me come back via 17 and climb the hill from he** outside Camp Verde.

I17-I40 is the common way with some steep grades heading South
I17-69-89-40 is good way but there are some single lane roads (I take this most the time)
60-89-40 via Yarnell is neet but lots of switchbacks and slow.

Prescott is a good place to visit but bring a tow'd. Flag is not RV friendly (at all).
Didn't say I wouldn't do Yarnell, said I wouldn't recommend it. Face it Mike, do you know anybody besides you and I that has ever driven a Blue Bird to Tonto Natural Bridge?

THE SHORT BUS
Old 04-22-2017

All

Well looks like there is a lot of interest in this year's rally. I know we will have fun. As to routes to take, whatever you do avoid I-40! It looks like it have been carpet bombed. Coming back from Burro Creek we hit a pot hole that darn near destroyed the left rear air bag adjuster and valve. There are some potholes out there I could have parked the bus in!
I have tried every way and I think the Prescott route has the least steep climbs, unfortunately from Ashfork to Williams you have to be on I-40. The big benefit is you have three lanes for the climb into Williams on the steepest part. Just a word of caution, there are large elk herds that like to cross Hwy 89 south of Ashfork. It is absolutely amazing how an animal that large can appear out of nowhere in front of you!

As to generators, quite time is 10pm to 6am. But waiting until 7am would keep you out of trouble with most folks except airline pilots--but who cares about them? We have seen seasons where the fire restrictions forced us to only run a couple of hours in the morning. I do not believe we will be facing that this year given the wet Winter. Oh and do bring a jacket. Anybody remember the year we all looked like members of the Navajo Nation wrapped up in blankets watching the movie at Fred Bellows camp site?

We usually have a Memorial Day pot luck so start thinking about that as well.

One point about your tow vehicle. Not certain about what is going on with the camp hosts, but they seem to have their respective hosiery in a lump about the number of vehicles parked on a site. I got nailed the year before last because I had the dry camp trailer and a pick-up on site in addition to the bus. It was just like we had done it every year before but something changed. Last year Frank Rooney drove his towed into the campsite instead of having it on the back of his bus. Because he did this is had to be parked off his site in overflow parking. Your are allowed your bus and a towed vehicle on site but you must bring it in on the hitch. Otherwise you get to pay $10/night for an extra vehicle. Guess they are trying to make up for all the Golden Passport cards that get the sites for 1/2 price, or maybe just showing off their authority.
Old 04-22-2017

Quote:
HTH
Dave
Better yet ask Frank Rooney about Yarnell Hill. He blew a fan clutch about a mile up last Tuesday and had to come home on a 35 ton wrecker. Stay off Yarnell Hill unless you really know your bus is running well and you have road side towing.

For you guys from the west side of the Valley take the 303 to I-17, then off at Cordes Junction to Fain Road bypass. Take Fain Rd west to Hwy 89 and then Hwy 89 north to Ashfork. Then a right on I-40 to Williams.