Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > How to properly tow your 'Bird

How to properly tow your 'Bird Here you will find some opinions on what some of our members did when they had to have their 'Bird towed by a wrecker service.

Site Search:

Old 05-03-2009

I had mine stuck in the front yard. (Don't even ask!!!) Sometimes I just do stuff. I claim not to be stupid but I work hard some times to disprove it. Of course if you can wait until the ground dries out you will be way ahead. Which of course I couldn't do and still have the proof. ( I'll get around to fixing the ruts soon Ethel)

My Tahoe was no help. I did this during the short period of time that I was a Two Birder. Chained one to the other with the puller on the macadam.

If you are pretty tight your going to need a big puller. Medium or heavy truck likely. Frankly, I doubt if a toad type vehicle will help all that much. Let the ground dry and do a little shoveling and drive the bus out or if you have to tow get a vehicle which is up to it. I can see you tearing up a transmission on the toad if not careful. ( That I didn't do)

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold

Last edited by bubblerboy64; 05-03-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: add to
Old 05-03-2009

I got stuck on my first trip also. I'm no expert either, but this is the way I would do it. Put some doubled or tripled up 3/4" plywood pads under the jacks. Jack it up, fill in the rut and slide a whole 3/4" sheet of plywood under the tire. Do that to all the tires. Now use plywood laid out on the ground so you can drive right over it and out. Of course it depends on how far you've got to go and how much plywood you have.
I've seen them do this in cemeteries when they need to drive heavy trucks over fresh graves!
Good Luck, I feel your pain!
Westchester Sandblast
Old 05-03-2009

Hi Corey,

I, too, was once in the mud pretty good. Whatever you do, DO NOT let the tires spin for more than a few seconds. When they catch, it puts tremendous strain on the gears in your differential. Once the ground was firmed up, I placed a large pile of boards under the jack on one side and lifted the coach (and wheels) out of the hole. Then I filled in the hole with the stuff that I'd kicked out in the first place. I also put some boards in the hole to add stability to the dirt and better support the weight of the coach on the soft soil. Then I did the other side. My coach was not on an incline- if yours is, then you may want to chock the wheels to keep the coach from drifting forward or backwards when you lift the tires out of the rut.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 05-03-2009

My first Bird was an 83 FC35. We were traveling and saw all the motorhomes out on Lake Havasu beach in NV. Lots of folks dry camping out on waters edge, low $ rate for up to 10 days stay. Asked the ranger and he told us the best route across the sand to waters edge.

Mistake 1: the ranger did not know the best route.
Mistake 2: left the tow car hooked up.

When you get in loose sand, gravel, etc, the toad front wheels can go sideways, and then you are towing a anchor, so the coach rear wheels dig deep. Deep like the frame is in the sand.

We unhooked the toad, and after hours of jack, dig, ramp sand, fill sand, drove the coach out. A helpfull fellow with a jeep pulled the toad out for us.

My lesson learned is never tow the toad over very loose surfaces, and scout ahead to check the surface depth in sand before driving the coach in. Better to get walk ahead, or drive the toad ahead. Better the toad stuck then the coach.
Old 05-03-2009
Forum Moderator

Now,i have been stuck just once,and i know Robs been stuck,and i have seen at least 20 birds stuck on the same day (RIV years ago).
so its not a big deal,even though we are still ragging Rob about it![/QUOTE]

Yes I've been stuck and Randy just loves to tell the story. I'm only glad he wasn't there or it would really be elaborated on. We couldn't wait until it dried up as that would have taken weeks. With the help of several people and lots of gravel we were able to back up a little, drop gravel, go forward, backup, go forward and so on and so forth.
Old 05-03-2009

Default More information then needed.

Tom, Somethings we don't hear about. Of course I guess those "stones" have to get in there some how. I never thought about it and will try not to worry. I guess looking on the bright side if a fellow is going to get run over by a truck that's the time.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 05-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar382 View Post
Well, I wish there was something I could say took the bus to a friends ranch
Got a tractor - a lot more traction and pulling power than the toad
Blue Bird Maps 156
Old 05-03-2009
Forum owner

ok! wow! lots of stuck people on this site!

1st:Glenn rogers is most likely correct in that you may damage the gennie slide,but the fact is,i watched him,bennie,and mike and several other BB techs hook up just as i said,off to the side,or over the top on the gennie light bar.
no damage was done and this was done at Perry Ga during the RIV,after a weekend of rain.these cpachs were pulled maybe 50'.
none of the coachs were on the frame.

2nd.
trust me,your tow car will never get enough traction to break a towbar or to vault into the engine.
i have also seen this done by no less than maybe 50 coachs,the wife in the toad,pushing like mad,the coach slinging mud all over the toad,the wife can't see a thing,wipers slinging mud in all directions,all the wife knows is the husband said stand on it and don't let off!
all got out safely,and it was the funniest **** thing i have ever seen.
not a broken tow bar or a catipulted toad to be seen.
speed channel should have been there,thats all i can say!!

of course,none of these coachs were stuck to the frame,but for a coach stuck as discribed in this thread,i would do everything I talked about.
the best thing to do is call your tow service,let them pull you out.

when i ran a fleet of trucks for a trucking company,we had a rule.
the rule was.spin the tires twice,call a tow truck.
tow trucks are cheaper than rear ends,axles and driveshafts,everytime!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-03-2009
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
Randy,

I don't have a tag axle so I am asking from ignorance here. Could or perhaps should he dump the pressure on his tag axle to get more traction or would it just make things worse?

this may work in some cases,it may make you sink deeper too.
it works on ice!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-03-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
"speed channel should have been there,thats all i can say!!"