Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > How to properly tow your 'Bird

How to properly tow your 'Bird Here you will find some opinions on what some of our members did when they had to have their 'Bird towed by a wrecker service.

Site Search:

Old 05-03-2009
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
when i ran a fleet of trucks for a trucking company,we had a rule.
the rule was.spin the tires twice,call a tow truck.
tow trucks are cheaper than rear ends,axles and driveshafts,everytime!
Randy, that's the exact advice I was going to give. Birders need to know that they can't rock these beasts out of the mud. The sooner you give up and declare that your stuck the better. I got stuck last year at the Tamp Fl Super RV Show. Steve Mitchell pulled me out with his Hummer. It didn't take a lot of pulling either, just a bit of extra help; that is, if you haven't dug yourself a crater by giving up way too late! Of course I'm no expert either, nor do I want to be! <lol>.

Last edited by davidmbrady; 05-03-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2009
Forum owner

this was at the first FMCA convention held in perry Ga.
i was parked in the south field out near the freeway,of course everyone freaked out and had to make a run for it,it was quite entertaining.
i waited until everyone had gone,and drove out where they were all parked,dry grass where the coachs were parked.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-03-2009
Donny Goodwin

Do not feel bad. I got stuck backing into a spot in a camp ground in Myrtle Beach

Donny
2003 LXI
Montgomery, AL
Old 05-03-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
Now,i have been stuck just once,and i know Robs been stuck,and i have seen at least 20 birds stuck on the same day (RIV years ago).
so its not a big deal,even though we are still ragging Rob about it!
Yes I've been stuck and Randy just loves to tell the story. I'm only glad he wasn't there or it would really be elaborated on. We couldn't wait until it dried up as that would have taken weeks. With the help of several people and lots of gravel we were able to back up a little, drop gravel, go forward, backup, go forward and so on and so forth.[/quote]

I believe that's the story about that the incident up in Oregon a few years back, after you said those famous words to Sue.....................HANG ON I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING!!!

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-03-2009

Randy
I wish you would have video of that bluebird-toad mud bog....I dont know about most toads but I think my 4wd Ram truck toad could twist that tow bar up.. I get a grin just thinking about wives pedal down getting covered in mud from a bus...Is that wrong???
JOE sends
Dover, Fla.
Retired from first job...
Working too hard at second one !!!
Old 05-03-2009
Former Bird Owner

When I pulled into an RV park space in December near Santa Fe NM, I was surprised by very soft muddy ground. The drive axle ploughed up a lot of mud as I pulled into position. I was able to level the bus with the jacks (I use plywood sheets under the jacks). In the morning, it was 27 degrees and the ground was frozen solid. Lowered the jacks, and the wheels just drove out over the bumps. I don't suppose you expect a freeze soon?

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 05-03-2009
WanderBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe40king View Post
Randy
I wish you would have video of that bluebird-toad mud bog....I dont know about most toads but I think my 4wd Ram truck toad could twist that tow bar up.. I get a grin just thinking about wives pedal down getting covered in mud from a bus...Is that wrong???
JOE sends
I guess I was also thinking that way. I have a Ram 3500 4WD Cummins - with over 600 ft-lbs of torque and 325 HP. I wonder how well a tow bar would hold up to that?
Marietta, GA
Old 05-03-2009
Forum owner

on dry hard ground your cummins may be a problem (i have one too).
Joe,the wifes were driving the toads,some were 4WD,and all 4 wheels were spinning mud like crazy,the windshield was covered in mud,the wipers not doing anything,BUT! the best part was when the coach got to the turn in the road,the coach driver could see,so he lets off the gas,the wife is still flat out,hooked up with a tow bar to the back,the driver turns the coach,the wife is still flat out,the coach is turning,the toad is pushing the coach sideways!! man,you should have been there!!
they missed a power pole by mere inchs,not one coach,but 20 or 30,we laughed so hard we cried!!
the show was over for the day,and there must have been 50 men standing in the rain,drinking beer and watching,just waiting for one of those coachs to hit that power pole,man,that was crazy!!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
toad is pushing the coach sideways!! man,you should have been there!!
the show was over for the day,and there must have been 50 men standing in the rain,drinking beer and watching,just waiting for one of those coachs to hit that power pole,man,that was crazy!!
Sounds like more fun than a boat ramp - we've often been tempted to take lawn chairs and scorecards to hold up.
Blue Bird Maps 156
Old 05-04-2009

OK, this is what I'd do. Relieving the immediate obstruction of the ruts is a given. The notion of pushing with the toad is valid, providing we are talking 4x4. Raising the tag is correct as it will diminish traction to the drives if employed.
The final challenge is the competence skill of the operators being up to the task. This is one of those instances where real time communication with cell phones or walkie talkies would be very convenient. It's not likely the toad will jump over the bar and contact the rear of the bus providing the bar is horizontal to the hitch.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/