Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 12-20-2017

Default My favorite new tool- Thermal Imaging Camera

So, I've wanted a thermal camera for years. Finally bought one a few months ago. There are many out there now, including ones you plug in your phone. I got this one:

SEEK THERMAL RW-AAA Infrared Camera,100 mK,Fixed,9 Hz G5432476

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SEEK-THERM...2476/100038921

The uses are nearly endless. From seeing where the studs in your wall are, to finding a cylinder that's running hotter. Yesterday, I used it to see how the Aqua Hot preheater was working. One of it's more invaluable qualities is finding water intrusion.

One picture below is the studs in my house. The other (blurry, sorry) is the bird's engine warming itself up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171214_183512.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	53006   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171219_141704.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	53007  

FMCA F469045
EAA 404878
Old 12-20-2017

I will say they are getting much more affordable! Aim it at your electrical panel in the house. It could save your life!
87 FC35 "Old School"
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 12-20-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrimp View Post
I will say they are getting much more affordable! Aim it at your electrical panel in the house. It could save your life!
Yup. And your panel in your bird. And your wheel bearings. And your brakes. And your heat vents. And so on.

FMCA F469045
EAA 404878
Old 12-22-2017

Thought I would give some helpful hints for using thermal imaging and thermal spot thermometers for those who want to know more about using them.
One of the main things I tell most people is that the temperature the infrared device says on it is not exactly correct. Most of the time it will be fairly close, however different materials react differently and therefore some are more close to the actual temperature and some are not. Black surfaces are going to give you the most accurate reading. This has to do with reflection of the infrared light (called emissivity). Items that are black do not reflect infrared so they give a more accurate reading, items like shiny metal objects (ie chrome or copper) will reflect infrared therefore giving a lower reading than actual temperature. So what do you do with all of this confusing information? Well what I do mainly is look for temperature differences on same type of materials, not necessarily actual temperature reading. So if your hub per say at the axle tube is very cool and it gets extremely hot toward the wheel bearing end you may want to take note of that. I do this especially for electrical connections, if a wire is cool along most of its length and then gets extremely hot at the point of connection to the breaker, I would de-energize the breaker and check the connection. This is most likely a loose connection or the breaker is starting to fail.

So the main take away is just like any tool a bit of knowledge of the tool will help you utilize the tool the best way.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 12-22-2017
Forum owner

Thanks Jeff,good post.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-22-2017
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Lodge View Post
Thought I would give some helpful hints for using thermal imaging and thermal spot thermometers for those who want to know more about using them.
One of the main things I tell most people is that the temperature the infrared device says on it is not exactly correct. Most of the time it will be fairly close, however different materials react differently and therefore some are more close to the actual temperature and some are not. Black surfaces are going to give you the most accurate reading. This has to do with reflection of the infrared light (called emissivity). Items that are black do not reflect infrared so they give a more accurate reading, items like shiny metal objects (ie chrome or copper) will reflect infrared therefore giving a lower reading than actual temperature. So what do you do with all of this confusing information? Well what I do mainly is look for temperature differences on same type of materials, not necessarily actual temperature reading. So if your hub per say at the axle tube is very cool and it gets extremely hot toward the wheel bearing end you may want to take note of that. I do this especially for electrical connections, if a wire is cool along most of its length and then gets extremely hot at the point of connection to the breaker, I would de-energize the breaker and check the connection. This is most likely a loose connection or the breaker is starting to fail.

So the main take away is just like any tool a bit of knowledge of the tool will help you utilize the tool the best way.
Good write-up Jeff and I think everyone probably gets the gist of what you’re saying but... I think you may want to consider rewording it because it's kind of backwards - it’s not the reflection of infrared light; it’s the emission of thermal radiation. Black surfaces are more emissive and Reflective surfaces are less emissive.

In other words, Black surfaces emit more thermal radiation at a given temperature than Reflective surfaces do.

Another important thing to point about IR spot thermometers is that you need to know the “distance to spot” ratio of the IR thermometer you’re using and you need to make sure that you're close enough to the item or area you’re measuring to insure that it totally fills the “spot” or “circle” - anything else within the “spot” or “circle” will affect the temperature reading.

NOTE: The laser dot (on those IR Thermometers that have a single laser dot) is not the “spot”…… the dot is just the approximate center of the “spot” or circle. You are not just measuring what the little “dot” is on!
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 12-24-2017

Thanks for the input John. All good pointers for use of thermal devices. I was trying to keep it simple for those who may not be as technical, without delving into the depths of emissivity.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740
Old 12-29-2017

So what you guys are saying is, use an IR device to check the bath water before chucking the baby in? (Legal disclaimer- I am not condoning any particular method of temperature readings for bath water, nor any chucking, throwing, tossing or pitching of homo sapiens.)

Seriously though, I think the value of these things is in trends and repetition rather than in an exact temperature. I can't think of a single use where the exact temperature would be critical. Well, I have been checking the fridge temp with it, so there's that. But, other than that.

Oh, and to back up your point about reflectivity, you can see yourself in the mirror on the thermal camera. So, yeah. Not exactly accurate there! Makes me wonder how far off they are on the shiny wheels.

FMCA F469045
EAA 404878
Old 12-31-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrescue View Post
So what you guys are saying is, use an IR device to check the bath water before chucking the baby in? (Legal disclaimer- I am not condoning any particular method of temperature readings for bath water, nor any chucking, throwing, tossing or pitching of homo sapiens.)

Seriously though, I think the value of these things is in trends and repetition rather than in an exact temperature. I can't think of a single use where the exact temperature would be critical. Well, I have been checking the fridge temp with it, so there's that. But, other than that.

Oh, and to back up your point about reflectivity, you can see yourself in the mirror on the thermal camera. So, yeah. Not exactly accurate there! Makes me wonder how far off they are on the shiny wheels.
Patrick you are right on with what I was trying to say. When I was being trained for electrical surveys the one thing I was taught was to be careful of your reflection especially with busbar. You can pretty much see yourself in the busbar like it was a mirror. So it’s important on shiny objects to check at an angle where you are not seeing your reflection.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740