Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Care and Upkeep

Care and Upkeep Let's face it, it has to be done. Have questions of what to do or how to do it, this is the place to talk about it.

Site Search:

Old 02-03-2019
Forum owner

Default Fluid Film?

Has any of you undercoated your coach with Fluid Film?
FF is a lanolin based coating,(recycled sheep).
Its supposed to protect from rust and salt and what not.

I was thinking of spraying the bottom os my toad and bus with it,as a proactive measure.
Thoughts?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-03-2019

In my youth I managed a Ziebart rust proofing shop. I received a months training in both Toronto and Detroit. Most vehicles rust from the inside out. You may remember cars like the 57 Ford with a large peak over the headlights. Salt and dirt get into those areas and rust is the result/ The same thing would happen to the bottom of the doors and the rocker panels. Today's vehicles are made with Galvanized steel ( at least on the bottom half) Problem areas have decent drain holes. There are some things you can do to prevent rusting. NEVER keep your car in a heated garage. If you have been driving over salty roads the mud and salt will encourage rusting when warm. Salt does not do anything when it is very cold. Always wash the wheel wells . Especially the lips on the fenders. Mud gathers in that lip and holds the salty mud against the metal. Check the drain holes on the bottom of the doors. Dust gets in there and if any water drains into the door mud is formed. bad! A flexible undercoating will protect your undercarriage. If it dries hard the undercoating will crack and salty water will get under the undercoating. A cheap rustproofing is to spray used oil on the undercarriage. Just a light coating. It wont last a long time but the price is right. Most of the rustproofing shops are gone as the vehicles are more rust resistant. If you can find a Ziebart shop have them spray the undercarriage. But be forewarned that spraying underneath with any liquid will stain your driveaway on hot days. Before we became snowbirds I spent a lot of money on car washes. Some carwashes recycle their water and the salt is still in the water! In Canada many people drive a "beater" in the winter and leave the BMW in the garage! Hope this helps. The above applies to your toad. I just do not drive my MH in the winter!! You may be able to buy an undercoating kit and spray a soft undercoating ( that does not dry) on the under carriage of a Bird. But you will have to mask off a lot of stuff. Messy Or just drive a Bird with an 8V92 and the undercarriage will be well oiled. How expensive is that film? Will it wash away?

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 02-03-2019

It's all the rage up here in Maine where they go nuts with the salt/chemical bath and seems to do pretty well provided you A)are thorough in your application and B)treat every year. It also has a nice smell, and can be purchased in 55 gal drums all the way down to aerosol spray cans.

Fun fact about fluid film...it used to say "Environmentally Friendly" on the can because it's a natural product and isn't a bunch of chemicals, but somebody put up a stink because it's basically boiled sheep, so they changes the can to "Environmentally Friendlier!"

Instagram
Old 02-03-2019

Default Rustproofing

I have spent the last several years powerwashing the underside of both the coach and my Jeep. And then spray painting with the PO15 Top coat product. It is a work in progress as I only have access to parts of the coach at one time. What I have done so far still looks pretty good. Getting a good power wash isn’t easy, either, and is quite messy. But I like the result. I plan to continue with my new to me toad.
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2015 GMC Acadia
207-939-3816
Old 02-03-2019

I'm a Fluid Film guy, its easier on rubber than LPS-3
Cape Cod,ma
Old 02-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbragdon View Post
I have spent the last several years powerwashing the underside of both the coach and my Jeep. And then spray painting with the PO15 Top coat product. It is a work in progress as I only have access to parts of the coach at one time. What I have done so far still looks pretty good. Getting a good power wash isn’t easy, either, and is quite messy. But I like the result. I plan to continue with my new to me toad.
I have done very much the same thing but only on my truck. I haven't done it on the bus for two reasons. I don't like getting under it and I have never driven it in winter. I have gotten a lot of favorable comments on my truck, when people see it and comment on the visible parts of the undercarriage. I annually have power washed and used Por 15 on my snowplow also.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 02-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
I have done very much the same thing but only on my truck. I haven't done it on the bus for two reasons. I don't like getting under it and I have never driven it in winter. I have gotten a lot of favorable comments on my truck, when people see it and comment on the visible parts of the undercarriage. I annually have power washed and used Por 15 on my snowplow also.
I have found POR15 to be the best rust preventative around. Great minds think alike, Jim!
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2015 GMC Acadia
207-939-3816
Old 02-03-2019

Default Maybe 115° with 0% humidity in the summer isn’t so bad?

You cold weather survivors gotta be tough. Snow plows? Caked mud & slush? Salted roads? Chemical baths? Rusting from the inside? Antifreeze in the tanks? Now blenderized sheep sprayed on the bus undercarriage? Scary stuff!
Old 02-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
You cold weather survivors gotta be tough. Snow plows? Caked mud & slush? Salted roads? Chemical baths? Rusting from the inside? Antifreeze in the tanks? Now blenderized sheep sprayed on the bus undercarriage? Scary stuff!

It is rough indeed. If I lick the shifter knob (aftermarket weighted steel) in my car on any given morning, my tongue would stick ralphie-style.

Instagram
Old 02-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Blenderized sheep?? Now I'm wondering if road kill has rustproofing properties.
Virginia Beach VA