Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 08-25-2019

Carl, do you ship it back to BlueOx to have the service preformed ?
Old 08-25-2019

I have a black steel blueox that I got in 2005 that I still use. even picked up a replacement that was in a gmc and have not retired the 2005. that said Tim pulled our hummer behind a friends 88pt to bring their bus back to our place for some repairs and lost the Hummer. since the bar did not travel true level, hummer ended up ontop of the hitch and up against the bus. that bar was an aluminum blueox and was trashed. I was following and watched the entire thing. Called him on the phone, tried to tell him the hummer was being bulled with the chains BUT he told me he was going to write me a ticket for using the phone while driving then hung up. Oh well. I beeped when I passed the wreck

Last edited by GregOC; 08-25-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2019

Kiki, I have it serviced at FMCA rallies. They usually have a booth at the Rocky Mountain regional rally which is in Tucson this October. They always have a booth at Quartzite in January. I think it's $40-50 for the service. The freight would be expensive to send it back to Blue Ox. As to Greg's experience with the Hummer, I think tow bars are like tires. They may look great but after so many miles they may need to be replaced. We'll be in AZ for 6 weeks mid October to December 1st. I'm going to have the magnaflux test done while in Phoenix. If there are stress cracks, I'll buy a new one.
"Dream Chaser"
Old 08-25-2019

Rebuild prices have gone up. I was told 35 bucks when I made my appointment at the factory. Cost wound up being 125 with nothing being needed other than 6 washers and 4 or so nuts and bolts. I did get a free nights parking at the Blue Ox RV Park.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-25-2019

Randy,
I have a Roadmaster Sterling. If other manufacturers are similar they will have partial or complete rebuild kits available. Did mine four years ago just because I wanted to be sure and it was very easy. Good instructions and complete in about an hour. Still check it once a year. Very happy with it.
Dana
2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
FMCA 057126
Old 08-26-2019

Randy. Almost lost my truck on the way back from Maine due to a hitch pin failure. about 30K on the tow bar about 5 years old . Please check your pins.
Old 08-26-2019
Forum owner

I'm not having any issues,but i was just thinking about how much strain tow bars get..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-27-2019

As a possible substitute for Magna flux could you use a two part dye penetrate,this could also work on checking tag axles welds.
Old 08-27-2019

The M & G tow bar is no longer made and people who have them are reluctant to part with them. The story is that M & G sold it to Road Master and they shelved it because it was the kind of thing that lasts forever and was a great idea. So not having built in obsolescent why would they want in competition with them, so buy it and get rid of it. Of course that's the story I heard so take it for what's worth.
Old 08-27-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujimo View Post
As a possible substitute for Magna flux could you use a two part dye penetrate,this could also work on checking tag axles welds.
I agree with Paul,and Magnaflux makes the dye chck.
I think McMaster-Carr with have it,or ebay,or amazon..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com