Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 10-28-2019

Default My Sporlan troubles

Hi guys,

Yet another Sporlan problem here. I've scoured the site but haven't found a solution to my problem.

Couple of years ago, I had trouble getting the tank to fill on my 1988 WB40. I disassembled sporlan and soaked in vinegar, and reassembled with success.

Fast forward 2 years, started having same problem. Slow flow rates, difficulty to get it to fill which slowly got worse.

This time I cleaned with no success, and I ended up reassembling incorrectly with spring pointing down rather than up. I found that the sporlan was always open -- city water would always result in tank filling regardless of swich position and the pump wouldn't pressurize. I disassembled, and then reassembled correctly (I think!) with spring pointing up.

Retested, and exact same problem now -- tank always fills, pump won't pressureize.

So I go order diaphram kit and coil kit from Dupree Products, disassemble, put new components in, and it STILL has same symptoms of always filling tank and system not pressurizing. It feels like the switch is always open. I'm 99% certain it's reassembled correctly, I've looked at the scehmatics and am banging my head against the wall trying to fixed it.

What should I do next? I think I've done everything correctly but it just keeps filling and filling....

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
1991 Bluebird Minibird
Old 10-28-2019
Goat rails in the sunset

Try testing for power at the Sporlan. To fill tank, Sporlan valve has to get power from switch. If you can't switch OFF to close the Sporlan... something in there isn't right. Switch failed in tank fill ON position? The power wire on the valve would be always hot if that's the case.
Full-time in 2019
Old 10-28-2019

When filling the tank, are you turning off the supply when it starts to overflow? You should always cycle the sporlan (UNDER PRESSURE) which assists the diaphragm in making a tight seal and closing the valve. Many owners make the mistake of turning off the faucet before turning off the sporlan fill switch. This will often result in a "backflow" situation where the system will not pressurize.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912