Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
The max fan speed is set mechanically on the fan motor's valve, they call it the trim. You take the little cap off the side of the motor's valve and change the shims on the spring in there to change the max pressure. Once you do that you've changed the range of pressure you can run, and thus the top RPM. In my case I have a 32" fan, which is smaller than the one it is probably set up for, so I will have to go through this. With PWM control it will run the fan at the exact same speed to maintain the set temp even after you increase this, but the ceiling is higher. I have to get into the datasheet I found for that Danfoss motor. I think top RPM was 2500 continuous and pressure was 3000psi? I can't remember exactly, but there was some room.

The fan blades ACS has datasheets for are all tested in increments to 3000 rpm, most recommended about 2000 rpm. These do not stall out at 3000. I don't know what the factory fan blades would do, but I wouldn't spin the old PT's aluminum one 3000 rpm.
Very cool stuff. Have a link to the controller and sensor all-in-one device? I'd be curious to check it out.
As you know, later model corvettes and most other vehicles use PWM controlled fans, too. The LS ECMs have fan control PWM signaling built in and some swappers are using these features. Nicer way to manage the fan than on / off for sure!
Holley builds in a map to their aftermarket LS controllers to "tune" the duty cycle based on temps.
Appreciate the chance to learn from your projects!

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
Very cool stuff. Have a link to the controller and sensor all-in-one device? I'd be curious to check it out.
As you know, later model corvettes and most other vehicles use PWM controlled fans, too. The LS ECMs have fan control PWM signaling built in and some swappers are using these features. Nicer way to manage the fan than on / off for sure!
Holley builds in a map to their aftermarket LS controllers to "tune" the duty cycle based on temps.
Appreciate the chance to learn from your projects!

Doug
I'm running a big block Chevy with an E67 ECM and using PWM for fan speed control On the bus I am using one of the multipurpose modules I designed to control the PWM valve. It is the same module I'm using for my 3 tank level sensors, A/C (and heater) on/off control, 12v battery monitor, and engine gauges. I jammed a lot of stuff on the board with the intention of doing this with it. It's completely waterproof and the case is very strong, so it will survive the elements.

The temp sensor is the same one my new water temp gauge uses, actually. $14 and very quick and linear.

I am looking at buying (or building) a CAN bus gauge that will fit into the dash, but I might just do a tablet mounted off to the side instead. I can use that for a lot more things, but I like having a gauge to scan with the others.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Too cool! I wish I knew more about software and hardware. Then again, most of what I want is available for modest purchase price thanks to the automotive, RV and marine industries and aftermarket.

It is neat to see all the problems you are solving and how.

Cheers,

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 4 Weeks Ago

There are a lot of options for a simple PWM control with a temp sensor input. If I sold mine you could buy it and feel better about it
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I bought a new reservoir on eBay. It's about 9" round and 21" long. I think I'll end up with this in the same spot as the old one, which was shorter and fatter and more leakier.

I'm still looking for the right hydraulic pump. I think I need the later one like the 85+ coaches have. Anyone got one they want to part with? I might call Prince and see what it would cost to have a new one put together. There are a lot of forklift pumps out there with the valve for the steering, but I want to make parts replacements easy-ish to find. I haven't ruled out going to a generic $200 pump and an external diverter valve for the steering.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hyd_res.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	65079  
Old 4 Weeks Ago

the pumps on our 6K forklifts are very reliable. I don't know what capacity forklift truck would transfer over to your needs.
Virginia Beach VA
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I want something that displaces 50cc/rev or more. It need to have a flow divider valve on it and those are seemingly tweakable on most models. I need 4-5 gpm on that. SAE B 2-bolt 13 spline, very common. Prince SP25P52 would work but their list price is $900 on it. A reseller should get it for a lot less, who knows.

A plain old Prince gear pump retails for $375ish all over the place and the valve is $100, but the ports on the valve are all pipe threads. With the extra lines and stuff it might not be worth it.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
I want something that displaces 50cc/rev or more. It need to have a flow divider valve on it and those are seemingly tweakable on most models. I need 4-5 gpm on that. SAE B 2-bolt 13 spline, very common. Prince SP25P52 would work but their list price is $900 on it. A reseller should get it for a lot less, who knows.

A plain old Prince gear pump retails for $375ish all over the place and the valve is $100, but the ports on the valve are all pipe threads. With the extra lines and stuff it might not be worth it.

No way i would use pipe threaded stuff,unless i used an adapter and ran a flex hose to a manifold the take up the vibrations and torque issues.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
No way i would use pipe threaded stuff,unless i used an adapter and ran a flex hose to a manifold the take up the vibrations and torque issues.
I just hate pipe threads. JIC and o-rings for me. There are adapters to go from pipe to JIC, but they take up a lot of space where there isn't much in the first place.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I got the "right" fan ordered - ACS 216205-32. There are a few options here, but I think this is the highest flowing and efficient one. There's 25% more flow between 2000 and 2500 rpm, and I believe this fan flows more than the stock metal fan, but I have no way of knowing that. I think I might have to start looking for some injectors to test the theory. It won't be warm again here for many months. 3 tonight. Will someone adopt me down south? I love grits and Cheerwine!