Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 08-04-2009
Administrator

Hey Mr. Stick,

On many late model's there is a full size real bed. We have a Full Size Queen bed with the isle on both sides, either partner can exit with out crawling over the other, This is not a Twin or the bed in the corner. There is lots of feet room that extends into the center hall, all the way to the driver seat .
Old 08-04-2009

So let me get this straight. I could sleep in the middle of a queen sized bed and convince my wife to sleep on the pull out sofa, or we're back to diagonal sleeping in the queen bed. Besides, I'm not convinced my wife could get around my feet without some major disturbance.

Seriously, I think the island queen would work for us especially if it had hang over room at the foot. I understand many of these beds are somewhat smaller than a standard queen, but could you put a real queen mattress, for instance, in your coach?

One more thing: is there a standard floor to ceiling dimension in SP's?
Old 08-04-2009
WanderBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Miller View Post
So let me get this straight. I could sleep in the middle of a queen sized bed and convince my wife to sleep on the pull out sofa, or we're back to diagonal sleeping in the queen bed. Besides, I'm not convinced my wife could get around my feet without some major disturbance.

Seriously, I think the island queen would work for us especially if it had hang over room at the foot. I understand many of these beds are somewhat smaller than a standard queen, but could you put a real queen mattress, for instance, in your coach?

One more thing: is there a standard floor to ceiling dimension in SP's?
I'm 6-4 and encounter some of the same issues you do with regard to height. Currently, I have a SOB that has the island queen in the back. It actually was set up to have the "short queen" that gets mentioned. I took it out, took off 2 brackets on the platform and put in a standard queen. I'm a much happier guy now. It's amazing how much having that extra 2-3 inches meant. Plus, I still have a little hang over room between the bed and the wall (if I don't position myself to use the doorway). I can't see any reason why you can't do the same on an SP or an FC. Heck, both of them have at the least the same amount of room as my SOB. What did I lose in doing that? Well, I have to maneuver around the bed a little more (less space). But, I am typically only in there 1-2 times a day for a few minutes to dress or put some clothes up whereas I spend 6-7 hours a night on the bed! It's worth the tradeoff IMO.
Marietta, GA
Old 08-04-2009
Early Member

Stick, 'that 78.5" is the standard floor to ceiling height in the SP's. Also, as you can see on the diagram of the floor plan on my photos page (below in my signature), the regular queen size island bed has at least a foot of open space all along the foot of the bed. So, only if you're eight foot tall, would you have to sleep in the center of the bed!
"The Wunderlodge"
build blog info
Old 08-04-2009
Forum owner

it would be a simple matter to put an extension on the end of the bed,and then just slide the mattress down over the extension.
at the head of the bed where you will creat a gap by moving the bed,you just have to add a foam rubber "block'' the thickness of the mattress and the width by the amount you move the mattress.
Lemonade anyone?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Miller View Post

That's one remedy that my wife and I have. Sofa sleeps real well. The only sleeping accommodation I really can’t imagine is the fold down dinette. I am not real sure if it is standard or a modification. So far I have even been able to conceal its presence. Snoring is more our issue though. We have a tendency to keep each other awake. Plenty of foot overhang space, that's not a problem. The bath/dressing room arrangement on the SP is a great unique feature too.
I had intended to invite you over while at Georgia Veterans SP a few weeks ago and it flat slipped my mind. (Great place for a mini rally I think).
We fully expect that you'll make the short drive to RATS in October...it's not that far off. While you’re about it, if you drop by Stripling’s and pick me up a few pound of that smoked Jalapeño Cheese Sausage. I'll grill it right up. Goes real good with lemonade.
Old 08-04-2009

I wish I had a nickel for every time I'd eaten Stripling's sausage. Good stuff that might warrant a RATS special session. Hopefully I can come on Friday. My bride has informed me that we're going to the beach that weekend, but I can do some foot dragging.

Sounds like the SP might be something I need to consider. Thanks for all the posts, especially those addressing bed length, ceiling height and snoring.

I can tell I'm going to like this bunch. A classy group of folks.

If I can make it, I'll be there with sausage...only I won't be in a classic bird - only a classic Cadillac. Hope that'll work.
Old 08-04-2009
Forum owner

i'll donate for some sausage,and next to birds I like caddys best!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-05-2009
Administrator

Stick & Jonathan,

Check out the 89 FC for sale on Vintage Birds , There is a picture of the Queen Bed http://www.vintagebirds.com/ There is lots of extended isle space for your feet & legs to hang out.
Old 08-05-2009
WanderBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Stick & Jonathan,

Check out the 89 FC for sale on Vintage Birds , There is a picture of the Queen Bed http://www.vintagebirds.com/ There is lots of extended isle space for your feet & legs to hang out.
I'm actually hoping that someday I'll be able to get a WB with a cross-island bed. But, I'd settle for a WB with a regular island bed. Either way it should give me and my big feet plenty of room!

I really want a rear engine RV on my next one. I have a front engine (albeit not a Bird) now and I want that noise in the rear. Plus, it allows the generator to be all the way forward and far away as possible from my bed so I can run it overnight and keep the AC going. The one I have right now is close enough to the bed that whenever I've tried to sleep with it running, it makes me feel like the someone loaded the bed up with quarters to keep it vibrating all night long!
Marietta, GA