Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 08-11-2009
Forum Moderator

Default Importing US Vehicle to Canada

While there are many good informational sites on the topic of importing a vehicle from the USA to Canada (listed two below) there is a recent issue with the disappearance of Wanderlodge. The problem is that each import requires a 'RECALL LETTER'. This letter must state that there are no outstanding recalls for the particular vehicle that is being imported. In the case of Wanderlodges the worry was who was left to issue such a letter. I contacted the Canadian Registra of Imported Vehicles and they stated that such letters were still being issued by the Bluebird Bus Company. I haven't confirmed this with BB so treat it as hearsay until we know. Here are two sites that will take you through the process of importing. The first site is Canadian Govt and the second is a commercial entity.

http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

http://www.importcartocanada.info/
Old 08-11-2009

Default Importing US Vehicle to Canada

Bill asked me to post this reply.

For importing a vehicle into Canada, if the vehicle is greater than 15 years?? old, you do not have to go through the Registrar of Imported Vehicles, so you do not require a Recall letter, however, if your vehicle is newer, then you require one.

If one is importing into Canada, send the documentation to the US Customs at least 72 hours in advance, so they can check for liens etc.

Also, forget about importing a vehicle during the weekend, it can be very difficult. To me, Monday sounds like the best time LOL.

When you come to Canadian Customs, and you have bought the vehicle at a dollar value exchange which is higher than what it is when you pass through the border, you have to show proof so then you will not have to pay as much taxes, could save you a few bucks.

Been there, done that, and about to do it all over again.
$QUANDERLODGE lll ???

This somewhat birdless potter has a SHINY BRAND NEW KILN in her future

Kitimat,BC EH?
Blog : http://tulipvendor50.blogspot.ca

Old 08-11-2009
Forum owner

I have calls almost weekly about taking a coach into canada,so I asked the Canadian members to help by posting a thread about this procedure.
If anyone else has a comment,please post it.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-11-2009

Call me or my wfe Betty she is a Customs Broker and imports vehicles of all types every day it is easy and relatively painless

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 08-29-2009
Forum Moderator

I just got off the phone with Peter Haggins who lives on Vancouver Island British Columbia. He is in the process of importing a BMC to Canada from California. Apparently he has solved the problem of obtaining a RECALL LETTER from a defunct company (BB Wanderlodge). He's had to jump through some hoops and badger some bureaucrats but prevailed in the end. Shortly he will post the whole story and the information necessary to import an orphan vehicle into Canada. Others will certainly benefit from this so many thanks Peter for your efforts.
Old 08-29-2009

Default Importing bus

Step 1
I started by calling Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) and asking about a recall letter for a company that no longer exists. They insisted that Blue Bird was still around and that I should get a letter from them. I tried to explain the Blue Bird no longer had an interest in wanderlodge, and that Wanderlodge was now defunct. It fell on deaf ears - still insisting that I should call the number for Blue Bird that RIV had listed. I told them that I had, and that number was now disconnected. I was really pissed, dealing with the moron, so I thanked him for his help, and ended the call

Step2
A few days later I called RIV again and talked to a woman. She was swept up and told me that for "orphaned" coaches ( I knew right away we were getting somewhere) I should deal directly with Transport Canada. She gave me a contact.

Step3
I called Transport Canada and talked to a Mr. Richer, who turned out to be "the Guy". He explained the process and then sent me the following email;

Greetings Peter,

In cases where a vehicle is presented for importation through the RIV but the manufacturer is no longer able to supply a recall letter, it would be up to the importer to demonstrate that the vehicle has never had any outstanding recalls pending against it, or that all applicable recalls have been completed. Importers should make use of the NHTSA vehicle recall database to search based on the year, make, model ( http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm ).

Recall information noted in the NHTSA database will include all recalls applicable to the particular type of vehicle listed, including component or tire recalls from component/tire manufacturers. The recall clearance information that is relevant for importation relates to recalls that were initiated by the vehicle manufacturer only. Component or tire recalls do not factor into vehicle admissibility.

There are two possible outcomes:

1 - The vehicle make/model in question has no recalls pending against it.

- In cases where the vehicle has never been recalled through any recall campaign, importers should be told to inform the RIV in writing that they have searched the NHTSA database and found no recalls applicable to their vehicle. These cases need not be referred to an inspector and importers should make reference to the date when they searched the database, as well as the year, make and model that they searched.

2 - The vehicle has recalls pending against it.

- In cases where the vehicle being imported has recalls pending against it, the importer is responsible for either demonstrating that the applicable recalls have been completed, or are not applicable to their particular vehicle. In most cases, this is impossible, and the difficulty of obtaining this information for an "orphaned" vehicle should be stressed to importers. If they decide to proceed, they would be required to supply evidence, in the form of invoices or other verifiable documentation, that the required recall work was performed as per the instructions contained in the NHTSA database information , or, in the case of visually verifiable recalls relating to vehicle labelling, by submission of photographs demonstrating that the correct labels/information have been applied. Importers should be told to supply the following information to TC inspectors, in writing, in order to allow for review:

- Name, mailing address and complete contact information of importer
- Year, make, model of vehicle, and RIV case number (if applicable)
- Part 573 defect report(s) (can be printed off NHTSA website, or saved as a .PDF) for all vehicle-related defect campaigns initiated by the manufacturer for the make/model/year of vehicle

- Invoices demonstrating that recall(s) above has been completed, or evidence that recall campaigns are not applicable.

This information should be supplied to our offices in one lump submission for review, sending electronically to roadsafetywebmail@tc.gc.ca or by mail to

Transport Canada
Road Safety
275 Slater St.
Ottawa ON
K1A0N5

We trust this information is helpful and we thank you for your interest in road safety.

Vincent Richer (on behalf of Pierre Tremblay, Chief Import and Audit Inspector)
Information Centre/Centre d'information
Transport(s) Canada
Road Safety/Sécurité routière
275 rue Slater Street, 17th Floor / 17ième étages
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0N5
(613) 998-1943 (direct)
vincent.richer@tc.gc.ca

Step 4
I got the info from NHTSA, turned out there was an outstanding recall on the Aqua-hot- had to get the recall work done - sent all info including proof that the recall was done to Roadsafety and then waited, and waited ...NOTHING.

Step 5
I eventually recontacted Mr Richer via email and explained that I was getting nowhere with Roadsafety ( one individual there that I was dealing with). Short story, Mr Richer said he would look into it. I suspect he kicked ***, and took names, because 28 minutes later I had the letter from Transport Canada allowing importation.
Essentually once you get the letter from Transport Canada it is used in lieu of the "Recall letter" from the original manufacturer.

I have greatly reduced the length that this process took. With any luck I will be importing the coach in the next couple of weeks.

Peter Haggins
78 FC 35'
Prairie Dog - for sale
40' 96 BMC - soon
Old 08-29-2009

I have zero experience in importing an orphan unit. However I have imported many MH's and 5 th wheels over the years. It is a painless process and the paperwork can be done so quickly that my last imported unit ( May of 08) took 4 days from the time I crossed the border to when I had it registered. I have crossed on weekends and it has never been a problem other than the # of people returning from the USA with goods to declare. I would never buy an orphan vehicle without knowing that it has no outsanding recalls. Transport Canada has the final say in these matters. I know that with some other orphans a former authorized dealer can provide a letter that has been accepted.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 08-29-2009
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I have zero experience in importing an orphan unit. However I have imported many MH's and 5 th wheels over the years. It is a painless process and the paperwork can be done so quickly that my last imported unit ( May of 08) took 4 days from the time I crossed the border to when I had it registered. I have crossed on weekends and it has never been a problem other than the # of people returning from the USA with goods to declare. I would never buy an orphan vehicle without knowing that it has no outsanding recalls. Transport Canada has the final say in these matters. I know that with some other orphans a former authorized dealer can provide a letter that has been accepted.
Bruce my recent calls to the Canadian bureaucrats indicated that they do not or no longer accept any RECALL assurance from a product dealer
Old 08-29-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmarycamilleri View Post
I was really pissed, dealing with the moron, so I thanked him for his help, and ended the call

Peter Haggins
78 FC 35'
Prairie Dog - for sale
40' 96 BMC - soon

Peter,

I hope your problems are over now and the remaining part goes smoothly.

I'd like to add a little note here about importing a 'Bird into Canada.

About five years ago I drove Cliff and Barbara Vaughn's '80FCSB33 up to Nelson BC, Canada to deliver it to the new owner. Everything was going fine I cleared US Customs with no problems, then I started the process of clearing Canadian Customs, where I met the new owner who had all of the paperwork that he needed (I thought) and then the Customs Officer and I went out and looked the 'Bird over and she asked me about the new tires, I told her they had been put on the before I picked it up, she asked me if I had any receipts inside the 'Bird so we went inside and I gave her all of the receipts that I had, we headed back inside.

Once we got back inside she asked the new owner why he hadn't declared the seven new tire and then I mentioned there were only six new tires but she insisted that she saw seven and then accused the new owner and me of trying get all seven of the NEW tires past Canadian Customs and that both he and I could be fined for our actions, to which I started to explain that I believed that the spare tire was one of the original tires and that I was hoping that I wouldn't have to use it, it was at this point she told that she knew exactly what she saw and it was also a NEW tire and then she said to me "Alright I have heard enough from you, you can go back out the the bus now"...talk about pissed off, I decided I didn't want pay any fine or if I didn't shut up possibly go to jail and really held my tongue (not easy for me at times.......) and walked back out to the 'Bird.

About an hour later I see the new owner drive away in his car and then here comes the Customs Officer out to the 'Bird she knocks on the door, I go over and open it up, but I didn't look at her or even acknowledge her presence and sat back down to read my magazine, she steps inside and offers me back my I.D.'s i told her just to lay then on the table and then she says "Mr Finn I want to apologize for the mistake about the tires" I still didn't acknowledge her and really just wanted her to leave, then she says "You don't act like you are accepting my apology" (she saw that correctly) to which I answered No, I'm not accepting it and that I didn't like being called a lair and treated like a second grader being punished by having to go sit in the corner for a time out and as far as I was concerned it shouldn't have gotten to the point where an apology had to be made and had she really looked closer at the tire she would have seen that it was a very old tire and then I asked her to go back with me and I would show here exactly how old the spare tire was, the tire had decent tread but the sidewalls had big cracks all around the sidewall and weather cracking too...............BUT IT HAD GOOD TREAD and then she admitted that she had only looked at the tread on ALL of the tires and hadn't even seen the cracks.

I asked her if I was free to go, she said yes and I departed Canadian Customs.......................never accepting her apology, she was an idiot in my book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TIRE.jpg
Views:	1606
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	2734  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-29-2009
Forum Moderator

Those of you wishing to Buy and import a Blue Bird product should not worry about the border. Regardless of country, border agents seem to be from some other planet........they have a different agenda. Read and follow the directions for a smooth transaction.

Last edited by Rob Robinson; 08-29-2009 at 05:34 PM.