Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > How to properly tow your 'Bird

How to properly tow your 'Bird Here you will find some opinions on what some of our members did when they had to have their 'Bird towed by a wrecker service.

Site Search:

Old 12-04-2009

I was just talking to a tow truck driver who tows semi's and I asked him about the air brakes and bags on our buses. He said all they do is find a fitting on one of the air tanks then they have a quick connect hose they screw in and then air it up from the tow truck which has plenty of air to handle the job.

Denny
727 631 3844

1980 FC 33' SB
Old 12-04-2009
RV Appraiser

Denny is correct about the air compressor on a tow truck; when I had my bird hauled the Landall did not have a functional compressor so the tow operator had to send his wrecker to the drop off point so it could air up my bird for off loading. The total bill for a 60 mile run was nearly $1600 but Good Sam paid every penny!!!! During my ordeal which took nearly 10 hours I was the one who found the tow service, my suggestion to anyone is not depend on your emergency assistance provider to find someone. Good Sam kept calling us every 20 minutes or so telling us they were searching for a contractor, but we were the ones in the end who found an operator who could do the job. We were able to find the tow operator by calling AAA roadside assistance and asking them who they would recommend in our situation, that is how we found the right people to do the job.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 12-04-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
John, Can we change the title to "Towing a Bird" ?
FC, PT, SP, Air and/or Spring suspention.
I didn't change the title but I have moved it to Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > How to properly tow your 'Bird

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 12-04-2009

Good Morning All. Bill the Under Reach must be able to extend far enough to reach a good attachment point under the disabled vehicle. That point may be the front Axel, frame or a sub frame assemble. The operator will select the correct frame forks to use to attach to the under reach and the suspension/frame. If your selected tow service deals with coaches a lot they may be equipped with bus forks. That is a piece of equipment that attaches to the under lift and then attaches under the front tires. No contact with the frame or Axel at all. Very little danger of damage to the coach.
There as many sizes of Wreckers as there are sizes of Coaches. To move one of ours the truck must be at the upper end of a Medium Duty. I would be much happier with a Heavy Duty (Dual Rear Axel) Wrecker. An additional concern is the wheel base of the Wrecker. The longer the trucks wheel base, the easier it is for it to tow or rigs. Leverage!
At the foot valve the line that applies air to the brake system may be spliced into to operate the brakes. The Wrecker Operator may elect to run a hose to the rear quick release or apply "T" at the Axel. Another option is the use of a "Brake Buddy. It attaches directly to your brake pedal and is activated with the wreckers brake system. The smaller the Wrecker the more important it is to use the Birds brake system. The Birds brakes will at least keep it behind the Wrecker.
If your disabled Coach has Air Ride the system should be inflated. As we know you can drive you bus with the system deflated. However it rides very rough and the rear of the bus will be very, very close to the ground. It will drag. An air line from the wrecker to the "wet tank" will keep the suspension aired up.
If there are additional questions I'll get us an answer. Hope this is helpful
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-04-2009
Gardner

It will look like this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BusTow2.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	695.5 KB
ID:	3528  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 12-04-2009

If it hasn't already been suggested...We all should install an air fitting at the front of the coach for the towing application. I've seen a few coaches behind a two truck with an air hose ran to the rear...the flopping from that air hose left work the painit/body shop.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 12-04-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsprenger View Post
If it hasn't already been suggested...We all should install an air fitting at the front of the coach for the towing application. I've seen a few coaches behind a two truck with an air hose ran to the rear...the flopping from that air hose left work the painit/body shop.
Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle >How to properly tow your 'Bird > Air Up Your 'Bird From An External Source

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11