Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 10-31-2008
Senior

Default Changing coach tires

For those of you that work on your coach and remove and replace your tires for various reasons I learned early that at my age I need a little help for working with a 200# plus tire and wheel assembly. Trying to remove the tire and wheel and then maneuver it around is a real chore. I have a heavy duty truck tire dolly that makes removing a wheel truly easy and quick, and a godsend when reinstalling the wheel and trying to align the bolt holes. For $40 its a tool that I highly recommend. I have one similar to this. http://tinyurl.com/5tat2z

Hope this helps someone.
6V92
Old 10-31-2008
TZS

That's great information and thanks for sharing.
Old 10-31-2008

Just a thought for those of you that have a motorcycle or ATV. Most of us have a jack to work on those items. This will work almost as good. Probably not as good but with a little extra effort to balance the tire it will work too. Just mentioned it so you might be able to save $40.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 10-31-2008
Senior

Jim if you are talking about a motorcycle lift how are you going to get it under a 22.5" truck tire that is only an inch or so off the ground? And how can you rotate the tire to align the studs and start the lug nuts? I honestly dont see how it would work?
6V92
Old 11-01-2008

What's wrong with a crow bar? The tire guy used it to change ours. I watched the tire guy do our rig start to finish, never broke a sweat and never picked up a mounted tire. Also, the rears required a very powerful gear reduction type air hammer, his normal unit could not break them free. This one will get you going all weekend, he advised me not to balance the rears and he was right, they run smooth and quiet. Also, our '80 doesn't have an air dryer and I use the coach air to fill the tires as needed, not a drop of water in the take off's.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 11-01-2008

I used to use a long crowbar to "jog" the wheel into place. Problem was- if the valve stem was not exactly where I needed it, or the wheel required a lift of more than 3", the crowbar just could not handle the job. I picked up a wheel dolly at Northern Tool in Minnesota back in the spring and it works great. They are still available online at this link: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2766_200362766

Also, you can add an AD-9 dryer pretty easily. It only requires a 12V wire and some 1/2" copper line from the compressor. The unit functions automatically and is easier to service than the older AD-2's that were on the birds originally. Having the dryer is a must if you are traveling in colder months. I iced up some brake chambers once on an old International work truck one time back in college and never forgot the feeling of helplessness sitting along the road.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 11-01-2008

1980 FC's never had drier's, it's heading for 29 years old. Cold days one should apply pneumatic tool anti freeze to the air intake of the compressor, cheap and reliable. As I mentioned, the tire guy who did ours never lifted a mounted tire, pry bar did just fine and it has other uses.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 11-01-2008
Senior

Crit put down your cup of coffee and look out the window, believe it or not you and I are not "the tire guy" who changes tires for a living <big smiles>. Sure he makes it look easy.....he has no other choice because his boss didnt want to spend the money to buy a dolly for him. He knows all of the tricks for doing it on site hundreds of times.

The valve stem is not in the right place when you start to put the tire on with your crowbar? Now what? With the tire dolly just spin it around easily with one hand while you relax. With the crowbar take a chance of banging your foot or worse yet dropping the tire on yourself. Sorry but for $40 its just not worth the chance and makes life so much easier. Some will use an old screwdriver or a crowbar I am sure as I once did. But no longer. When I have ajob to do I buy the right tools that the professionals use (and thats not the on site tire changer), and take the strain off my body.
6V92
Old 11-01-2008
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
What's wrong with a crow bar? The tire guy used it to change ours. I watched the tire guy do our rig start to finish, never broke a sweat and never picked up a mounted tire. Also, the rears required a very powerful gear reduction type air hammer, his normal unit could not break them free. This one will get you going all weekend, he advised me not to balance the rears and he was right, they run smooth and quiet. Also, our '80 doesn't have an air dryer and I use the coach air to fill the tires as needed, not a drop of water in the take off's.
My choice is a short crow bar and it works well. I carry one anyways for other purposes (ie alternator belt tightening, etc).
Old 11-01-2008
Forum owner

hahahaa! like Rob has ever changed a bus tire!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com