Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 04-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Johnson View Post
True story: While getting a new 22.5 Mitch tire at local jobber; when tire and rim was finished and balanced, jobber guy just reachs down, grabs the tire/rim and throws it up on my lifted chevy pickup truck bed like it was a bag of groceries. I now call him "sir".
My high school after work job was at a trailer manufacturer called Univision in Biggar, SK (New York is big but this is Biggar). We had a guy there named Walter Meager who was massively built. He would lift a 22.5 wheel/tire by hand onto the brake/axle assembly and rotate it as required to fit the studs.
Old 04-24-2010

I changed my share of tires on Birds and other busses on the side of the road, when I was a bus driver. Mounted plenty of 10:00X20's on those old split rims too. I was also 40 years younger then. Doubt I could even drag one out of the bay now.

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 04-24-2010
Senior

Hmmm Crit you may be right....a rant sure tells us a lot about how different people do the job doesn't it? Different strokes for different folks. I take off my tires while home (and not on the road. I have a simple $100/year road hazard policy for that and a cell phone to call and then sit back and have a scotch and soda while waiting for the tire guy) and check them thoroughly to make sure there are no cuts etc on the inner parts of the tires. Thats six 12R22.5 tires and two 315/80R22.5 front tires. That means I jack the coach up using a 22.5Ton floor jack, remove the lugs on each tire with my torque multiplier and then slip the $40 tire dolly under the tire pull it off the studs and easily take the tire off the coach for inspection. I normally if I feel good that day also clean the inner part of each rim off the road **** then using the tire dolly easily slide the tire back on. No stain no pain. Believe me the first time I use it its worth the total $40, in fact more. Take 8 tires off the coach in one day, inspect and clean them and put them back on and I am ready for a nap!

Before I used a tire iron to do the job of lifting the tire up a little to start pulling the tire off the studs, but I have balance masters on each tire side and that sometimes takes a lot of turning to line things up, but slip a little and you have a 200# tire sitting on you. Its kind of embarrassing to be pinned down by a big tire and cant even get out my cell phone to call my wife to come and get the tire off me. She would end up laughing, could not even lift up the tire iron and would end up calling the tire guy.

But I would NEVER use a tire iron to adjust the V belts on my coach. I use a simple tool that I made out of some oak and a threaded rod to adjust the alternator V belts etc and a $10 tool ( Oh my goodness did I break the $40 rule for buying a tool?) to read the correct tension on the V belt that I bought from NAPA. Its called a Kriket. Why do I buy more tools to adjust the simple V belt? Because it stops me from over tightening the belt and ruining the alternator bearings or not tightening them enough and either throwing a V belt of hearing them squeal. Yes I have learned from a lot of years of playing with tools its easier to buy the right tool the first time.
6V92
Old 04-24-2010

Austin,

Tried all sorts of methods over the years. Including a 5' pipe on the breaker bar. Easiest way I've found is with the 12X wrench. While a bit pricey, it's by far the easiest. When we first got ours, we experimented with it. We pulled into a campground the day we picked it up. My wife was able to, with one hand, break thhe lugs on our PT38. Of course I held the wrench up, but she was able to use ONE hand a break them lose. And to get an accurate re-torque couldn't be easier. You can use a standard 1/2" drive torque wrench from Sears. The X12 folks said to set the torque wrench to 45lbs. The wrench is more like 10X. That gives us between 450 and 475 lbs at the lug.

I also used it one time to remove the pivot bolts in one of my front leveling jacks. I had to send it in to HWH to be rebuilt. NOTHING I tried could break those suckers lose. So I broke out the X12. Those bolts we so rusted it still took 2 hands and a 3 ft pipe. I've convinced NOTHING else short of a torch, would have botten the pivit bolts lose,

In short, I think the X12 is a great investment.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 04-24-2010
Gardner

I wonder if the X-12 would be applicable to the eccentric bolts for the front suspension??
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 04-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
I wonder if the X-12 would be applicable to the eccentric bolts for the front suspension??
I was just thinking the same thing.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 04-24-2010

multiplier is good for any fastener you can get it on. I bought a Snap on 15X unit, Snap on 3/4" air gun to complement the Snap on 600 ft. lb. torque wrench for tire use.
Truefully didn't get the torque wrench for tire work, needed to tighten the balancer bolt on the crank to 700#, pegged the wrench and added a little for rotation, still on. It's a clicker wrench and and haven't lost a wheel or cracked one yet. Recently learned that the best belt tension unit won't help if you don't get the fasteners tight enough.
Feel lucky on another issue, was getting a PS fluid puddle under the pump after a day on the road, progressivly larger as the trip went on. On return home and bus wash, got the Gunk and water hose at the pump area before pulling into dry dock and elevating front of the bus. I find that raising the bus on the jacks, one end at a time, then jacking the axle and placing the stands under same works well. Return hose clamp @ pump needed a quart turn, all fixed. Had visions of pump seal replacement, much better result. And I got one of them Northern Hydraulics tire dollys. I got a bead breaker and a couple of trick tire irons but last time I was attempting to mount new tires, my guys bitched me out about being stupid cheap and made me go to the tire cavemen. I hate those guys, animals.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 04-24-2010

As Mike said, X12 is good for any where you can get it on and have the foot lodge up against something. I've used it working on my Bobcat as well as the BB.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler