Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 08-10-2008
Forum owner

Gardner.
while working on over the road trucks i had a fully equiped service truck,it had everything you could ever want.
and it cost less money than some of the big fancy snap-on boxes that some of the dealership guys had.
i always thought that was funny!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-10-2008
Gardner

Randy,
While I agree that some of the tool boxes are way over the top, I have always felt that a cheap tool is a waste of money, and sometimes dangerous. You will never be unhappy with a quality tool if you use it properly. That said, every once in a while I buy a cheap tool just to prove I'm right.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 08-10-2008
Forum owner

i have some cheap friends,but no cheap tools!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-10-2008
Forum Moderator

I have good tools and cheap tools. I also have cheap friends and when they want to borrow tools I have just the ones they need. Randy you remember that left-handed wangflanger I loaned you last winter?
Old 08-11-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

I was a little worried that all of the tools that I had in my portable tool bag would fit in the new box, but everything fit and it isn't any strain on the box slides either.

http://www.pbase.com/image/101516536

I used a cut down old plastic rod off of a broken window blind to hold the lid up and I used pieces of Indoor/Outdoor carpet cut to fit, as liners on the bottoms of the trays, so that the tools shouldn't move around too much......................MAYBE

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-11-2008
Administrator

Hey, John,

All the tools look new and never used, Is your Bird that reliable.
Or does Randy & Buddy do all the dirty work????
Old 08-11-2008
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Hey, John,

All the tools look new and never used, Is your Bird that reliable.
Or does Randy & Buddy do all the dirty work????

OUCH! haha
Old 08-11-2008
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I used a cut down old plastic rod off of a broken window blind to hold the lid up and I used pieces of Indoor/Outdoor carpet cut to fit, as liners on the bottoms of the trays, so that the tools shouldn't move around too much......................MAYBE
You can expect some movement. The drawers will slide open (until they hit the compartment door) unless you lock them when not using the tool box.

On my tool box, it requires dropping a metal strap down the front (through a hole in the lid-covered section) and it was annoying to have to pull out the metal strap whenever I needed a tool for a minor task. (Most frequently a rubber hammer I use to 'persuade' the tow bar connector pins when I disconnect the toad). So, I just let the drawers drift open, then just push 'em shut the next time I open the compartment.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 08-11-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

As far as the tools being clean and nice and shinny, I always clean them when I put them away, plus these are my 'Bird tools not my shop tools here at the homebase, where most of the work is done and I'm not taking any pictures of my shop right now, as far as Randy and Buddy doing all of the work...I'm not talking and is my 'Bird that dependable, well yes...er....no...er kinda....er.....sometimes..........it's an '82 FC.........what do you think

If you look at post #17 of this thread, my first picture of the installation, you will see the tool box drawers locking bar is in place, although the tool box slide itself doesn't have a lock, as the slide mechanism with that feature I didn't think would fit in my application, so the compartment door keeps the tool box itself slid back in place and I'm assuming that when I open the door itself after driving the 'Bird that the tool box will move out some, it has a "Closed Position Hold-In Detent" designed into the slides, but it isn't strong enough to hold the box in place with the 'Bird bouncing down the road, I just have to make sure that I firmly close the compartment door, before driving off.

I've had experience with compartments coming open while driving, but not by design. When I first looked at my 'Bird the previous owner had found out that the generator drawer locking mechanism had worked it way loose after being hit while going over some railroad tracks and the generator drawer came open and he hit something with it. When I got it, all that was holding the drawer in place was a old deteriorating 3 inch ratchet cargo strap, which we removed to check out the generator and afterward we closed the generator drawer and secured it with the strap again. Then we headed out for the test drive and while turning left onto the approach ramp to Interstate 20 at Greenwood, LA we heard a loud CLUNK!!! It was then that I noticed that the strap that was securing the drawer had broken and the drawer had slid all of the way open and on top of that after we pulled over to the shoulder, we couldn't find the ratchet mechanism for the old strap, only to find it wedged between the right rear dual tires after we ran over it, when the strap itself broke. We pondered the situation for a moment and being the entrepreneur that I am, I thought to myself, here is an opportunity to make a fast buck, we could leave the drawer slid open and pick up hitchhikers on the fly and charge them a fee for transporting them, but then I decided otherwise

A call to the seller got him to come out with his pickup and a chain to attach to the ratchet and pull it out, then he gave me another strap that wasn't any better than the first one to secure the drawer in place, so after I decided to buy my 'Bird later later on that day, a trip to Wal Mart to purchase a new strap was in order and this one below lasted all the way home from Texas, but I can't remember how many times I stopped to check it, to make sure it hadn't come loose

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/24977438

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-15-2008
Timberlake Products Group

Dear John,

Nice job on your tool box install! The extra room around the box is very helpful too as you noted.

I actually do not get into mine very often. I keep a small "little red box" of basic tools inside the rig for misc. adjustments etc.

Happy days!

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup