Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 12-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoody View Post
rick how much was that cruise and where did you purchase
Woody, I bought this unit from King Cruise. They have been very helpful thus far when I had questions about cable length. Cost wise - not cheap. Just a shade over 6 bills. I may have been able to shop it a bit more but my leg was sore after getting home from RATS.
My unit is and idle and cruise control only. Didn't know there were more options. Had I known that a throttle was also available I sure would have looked at that.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-21-2009

It was a beautiful day in Northern Arkansas today and I took advantage of the warm weather.
Not only was the weather nice but my bride insisted I get out of the house. Sometimes she can only take so much of a good thing (ME). Opened up the front of the bus and wired the King Cruise.
The wiring of this unit is straight forward with no surprises. There are several connections that must be made;
Speed sensor 2 wires
Ground
Switched 12+
Brake light
On/Off Switch 2 wires
Set/Resume Switch 3 wires

After routing the required wires and terminating them I zip tied them out of the way.

In the previous posts You may have noted the routing of the cruise cable. I drilled a very small hole in the accelerator pedal, passed the cable through the pedal and used small U type clamps to secure the free end. This cable will have to be repositioned at a later date. Read on.

Back inside the bus and ready to try out the fast idle feature. Start the bus, turn the King Switch to the On position, hit the Set/Resume Switch and -----IT WORKS------. Sort of. It will only spool up to around 1500 RPM. I'll need to move the cable down closer to the pivot to get more pedal movement.

The only thing left to do is hook up the speed sensor. I didn't feel up to crawling around under the Bird today. I will also have to get it up to 60 MPH to calibrate the unit. Can't do that until we get to some straight road.

On a scale of 1 to 10, this job was no more than a 4. Very easy with great reward. (I didn't have a Cruise Control)
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-21-2009

How does the speed sensor work? What does it get info from?
Cape Cod,ma
Old 12-21-2009

Crit, On my unit King provided 4 small magnets for the drive shaft. They are secured at 90 degrees to each other and secured with a zip tie. These magnets pass a sensor attached to a bracket just aft of the output yoke of the transmission.

When I get under there, I'll take pictures.

They also have other options available for the signal. Existing and signal generator.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-21-2009

can you use the bracket from the Dana cruise?
Cape Cod,ma
Old 12-21-2009
Forum owner

I told Carol that FCs need an air throttle and cruise control,your going to love that cruise,Rick!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
can you use the bracket from the Dana cruise?
Crit, I don't know why not. I looked at that bracket last week and thought the same thing. I think I may be able to get back on this tomarrow afternoon or Wensday. Tomarrow I have an appointment to have the Generator Stack made up.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I told Carol that FCs need an air throttle and cruise control,your going to love that cruise,Rick!
Roberta was wanting this Air Throttle and Cruise as much as I did. It takes a bit to wear em down but if you whine enough, they will give in.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-23-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Rick,

Yes that is what is needed, if you save the scan into a PDF file, that should be all that you need to do, give it a try and then if you want send it to me direct at iamflagman@aol.com and I will add it to the Database and then post the link to it on this thread.

Rick,

Thanks for the picture/scan, I changed it into a PDF so that the schematic can be easily viewed in a larger scale, thus it may take a while to open;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Links, Files, Old Yahoo Forum Database and Downloads > Manuals and Files Stored in This Forums Software DATABASE > Index of Downloaded Manuals and Files in Forums Software Database >FILES & DIRECTORIES > KING CRUISE CONTROL ..> 23-Dec-2009 04:26 3.1M

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 12-23-2009

Rick,
You may find it better to use the pick up off the rear wheel rather than the drive shaft. The problem that I found was I constantly lost the magnets off the drive shaft.