Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 01-31-2010

I struggle up hills too, 11k plus and 1500 on the tongue 24' Pace Big Foot. Ain't going to Idaho with that trailer again. No problem back here in the flatlands. Use a pintle and had to brace the hitch big time, it bent first trip out.
I appreciate the plan you outline, I'd check with Pace, United, Wells Cargo or somebody like that, they might make exactly what you want at a decent price.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 01-31-2010
Gardner

It sounds like it would make a great servents quarters for a Prevost owner.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 01-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
It sounds like it would make a great servents quarters for a Prevost owner.
yea , but its againgst da law to ride in the Trailer LOL
you Funny

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 01-31-2010
Forum owner

go to my pbase site and look at the car hauler I built out of a wrecked semi trailer.
or take a look at this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010921.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	4069   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010922.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	4070  

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-31-2010

WOW, I like it!!
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 01-31-2010
Forum owner

The red trailer was down at Marathon coach in Tampa,it had a matching Prevost.
The front axle steered on the trailer.
Inside was a hot rod mustang and a couple of harleys and other toys,yep,it was un-locked..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-31-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1derer View Post
Turbokitty asks:

PS - Iamflagman: In looking at a pic of your FC/trailer combo, I saw you have a V nose on the trailer and a ladder on the back of the Bird. Could you make tighter left turns if the ladder was moved to in front of passenger or to the side? Would doing this be legal?
If I understand you correctly, basically you are asking if the ladder were not there, could I turn sharper?

Yes, but not by much.

The ladder on the side would make the width very close to what a wide body 'Bird is.

In front of the passenger on the front of the 'Bird? I don't have a clue if that would be legal, as it would partially obstruct the right front windshield viewing area.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-31-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOConnor View Post
the force required to change the elevation of the trailer = .5 (gross trailer weight) plus or minus tongue weight (and some factor of the distance that the stability of the tamden wheels produce??????)
Greg,

I think Al's got a good rule of thumb. About 10% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue. A quick review shows that the dynamic forces you're talking about are on the order of the tongue weight. I think the intent is that there should always be downward pressure on the tongue (for all reasonable road conditions and speeds). As the trailer's rotational inertia bucks at the tongue it effectively adds and subtracts to/from the tongue weight, as long as the net effect is always downward force, then things should be okay.

As a quick example, a trailer with 10000lbs of load and a tongue weight of 1000lb will have dynamic affects of approximately 500 to 1000lb (plus and minus on the tongue) in some approximate of the worst case. The worst case would be a 1+ Hz bumpy road, full rear bus suspension movement, 8 ft of bus overhang from the rear axle, and a trailer with the weight split roughly evenly and put on each end of the trailer (6000lb on the tongue side, 4000lb on the taillight side, and a trailer 16 ft long). I'll share the calcs if you want to see them.
Old 01-31-2010
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
If I understand you correctly, basically you are asking if the ladder were not there, could I turn sharper?

Yes, but not by much.

The ladder on the side would make the width very close to what a wide body 'Bird is.

In front of the passenger on the front of the 'Bird? I don't have a clue if that would be legal, as it would partially obstruct the right front windshield viewing area.
2 questions up...

John, ya had me stumped for a minute... then I figured out I did not ask that particular question, just had 1derer's question added to my original question

Its all yours 1derer

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 02-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Greg,

I think Al's got a good rule of thumb. About 10% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue. A quick review shows that the dynamic forces you're talking about are on the order of the tongue weight. I think the intent is that there should always be downward pressure on the tongue (for all reasonable road conditions and speeds). As the trailer's rotational inertia bucks at the tongue it effectively adds and subtracts to/from the tongue weight, as long as the net effect is always downward force, then things should be okay.

As a quick example, a trailer with 10000lbs of load and a tongue weight of 1000lb will have dynamic affects of approximately 500 to 1000lb (plus and minus on the tongue) in some approximate of the worst case. The worst case would be a 1+ Hz bumpy road, full rear bus suspension movement, 8 ft of bus overhang from the rear axle, and a trailer with the weight split roughly evenly and put on each end of the trailer (6000lb on the tongue side, 4000lb on the taillight side, and a trailer 16 ft long). I'll share the calcs if you want to see them.
I agree 10% is a good rule for a car or pickup pulling a single axle 3500 # trailer but the problem is the wider the stance between axles or shorter the lever ( distance from axle to ball) the greater the force required to move the trailer tongue. two axles distort the simple machine fulcrum calcs that support the 10% rule. The main problem is I extended the contact point of the effort side of the lever without understanding the changing force on the tongue

I first wanted to stiffen the extended receiver hitch but (as RandyD pointed out) what then would be the weak point with the attachment of the bus receiver being only one foot long ? on a FC you could extend the receiver attachment horizontally but I think I may make an additional attachment point between the bumper and rear lift gate (vertical ) to hold the weight (tension) and restrict the lift (compression). like a truss

I wont pull the quad trailer often with the shoe. I just needed a bunch of butch toys to take the heat off of driving thru the AZ desert with a 7 foot tall Stiletto.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cropbus shoe.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	4071   Click image for larger version

Name:	064.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	360.2 KB
ID:	4072