Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 12-24-2009

Default Coach Upgrade Continues - Solar Panels

Jerry:

Rolls battery is a good choice. Top of the line. What amperage batteries you looking at?

Solar Panels - What voltage and wattage panels are you using? How were these hooked up on your coach? What kind of controller are you using?

Be interested in seeing the total schematic diagram of your layout.
Old 12-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipvendor50 View Post
Jerry:

Rolls battery is a good choice. Top of the line. What amperage batteries you looking at?
We don't know quite yet until the battery box is completely thought out. We are trying to get real creative in figuring out where to stash as many batteries as possible.

Solar Panels - What voltage and wattage panels are you using? How were these hooked up on your coach? What kind of controller are you using?

Sanyo N 210 watt. The 215's were out of stock for a while. We are mounting them flat on elevated brackets (see pictures). We will be utilizing an all Outback system all networked together. The only thing that will be non-Outback is the auto generator start module because of the Powertech gen being 3-wire. We found a manufacturer that has a module designed to work with Outback and 3-wire gensets.

Be interested in seeing the total schematic diagram of your layout.
If I get ahold of one, I will scan it and post it.

I am away at work for a week so I will not see the coach until it is pretty much done. They talked about working Christmas day on it. We will see. Maybe I can get Larry to email me a photo with the panels installed. Curious how it will look.
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 12-24-2009

How's Erika and Roxy handling the walking on the roof?
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 12-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Ekberg View Post
How's Erika and Roxy handling the walking on the roof?
Roxy has been pestering everyone trying to give them a dog toy every time they come in. She doesn't mind the noise at all although she is bored because Dad is paying alot of attention to the project. Erika is out of town in Atlanta for two weeks visiting the parents so she hasn't seen any of the carnage.

There definitely are some interesting sounds coming from above when I was lounging inside. But I have been helping out when I could be useful and staying out of the way when I wasn't useful. Since they get paid by the hour, I make sure I don't delay the process.
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 12-29-2009

Default Solar panels on now!

In the ongoing saga of upgrading the coaches function at somewhat of a reduction of form, we have the solar panels installed as of today. There are alot of pictures I took of the process in the gallery link below.

The wiring and prep for the panels took a long time. Conduit, combiner boxes, and other boxes were put in place. I must have 25 lbs. of Dycor up on the roof because I don't want this thing to leak! The Motosat HD sat dish did not arrive so yet so that will be installed in a few days, although we wanted to put it on first. The solar panel install went well with no surprises. The brackets holding the panels are extremely strong so no worries driving down the road. The old TV antenna was mounted for grins and giggles using a fabricated mount. I have to mail Stephan the old mechanism when I get a chance.

The panels are mounted just above the a/c shrouds as low as we could go. There is a 15 inch walkway on the right hand side to walk on from back to front. Non skid pads will be put down in between seams in the roof. The panels are flat mounted now but we are coming up with a tilting scheme that should be pretty awesome. We will try to get it designed and installed when I come back to Starlight Solar in Yuma in late February to have the second half of the electrical upgrade done with dual inverters and generator auto start and whatever other stuff we can think of.

Yes, you can see the panels very clearly from the ground. Yes, they do take away from the original look of the coach and this is unfortunate. Some of us, for some unknown reason, like a bunch of **** stuck to our roofs. Don't know why. Actually, this is all about making my coach much more functional for me and wringing every little bit of enjoyment out of our life with this coach as we can. We are working on the "pretty" stuff inside and trying not to mess up the outside too much. I have some ideas for an added side fairing that will conceal the solar panels better. We will see how that goes.

Tomorrow is dual charge controller install, battery monitoring system install, and loaner battery install. Larry is incredibly kind enough to loan me 4 new batteries to help me through until I come back in late Feb. One or more of you can pick up a great deal on these gently used AGM batteries as he will sell them as demo batteries at cost when I am done using them. Don't know exactly what brand they are yet. In the mean time, he needs to get the new battery box designed and the Rolls 2v batteries ordered. I hear they take 6 weeks to arrive.

I think when this is all done, it will be one very neat and hi-tech system. The tilting mechanism is going to be interesting if we can make it happen the way we were talking about today. Larry likes a good challenge but we will see if he can work it in because he is extremely busy in February. He has been amazing during this whole process and I know that I made the right choice having him work on my beloved coach.

http://gallery.me.com/jerrykessler#100536

Jerry
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 12-30-2009
95 WB 42

Jerry

WOW awsome looking job,looks like there will be no shortage of power.
How many watts total?

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 12-30-2009

will they tilt up far enough if you have to replace an air conditioner?
Old 12-30-2009

Jerry, on the Rv.net forum, there is a thread there in the Tech topics that says you can use IRS for 5695 for a tax credit for your solar panels. Might offset- me working on your entry at Q ~[o
Old 12-30-2009

Quote:
will they tilt up far enough if you have to replace an air conditioner?
When we put the tilt mechanism on, I don't know if it will tilt enough to pull an air conditioner. Probably, just as it is now with them flat, it is a very simple and quick manner to loosen the bracket that holds the panel over the air conditioner and remove it. In fact, that is exactly what we will be doing Feb 20 when I come back to Starlight Solar to install the new inverters and such. We will be replacing a non-operating air conditioner with a new heat pump one that is apparently out there. I will have to make sure that it is low profile. I believe it is 15,000 btu Dometic heat pump that drops right into the same space as the original air conditioner. That new air conditioner will be connected to the inverters to run it while driving without the generator.
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 12-30-2009

Quote:
Jerry, on the Rv.net forum, there is a thread there in the Tech topics that says you can use IRS for 5695 for a tax credit for your solar panels. Might offset- me working on your entry at Q ~[o
You bet I will be taking full advantage of the tax rebates or credits or whatever it is. It is really a good time to go solar. Solar panel prices are very low comparatively to what they were. Tax credits, lower fuel consumption from running the generator less. It all added up to me to take the deal when the taking was good.
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad