Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-15-2010
davidmbrady

Default Chelsea PTO and Sauer Danfoss Pump Gasket

I'm installing my new chelsea pto and sauer-danfoss hydraulic pump. The old setup used a paper gasket between the pump and the pto. The gasket keeps the spline grease from seeping out. The new pump didn't come with a gasket. I suppose I could make one but I wonder if one is really needed. Alternatively I could use an RTV Gasket Maker. Anyone have a favorite technique or product that might work in this application?

BTW, the splines on the old PTO and the old Pump were so worn they barely engaged. It's hard to imagine them lasting much longer. Keep those splines greased!
Old 06-15-2010

David
Remember you need to set the back lash on the transmision to pto gears with a new pto.
Old 06-15-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer85 View Post
David
Remember you need to set the back lash on the transmision to pto gears with a new pto.
Thanks Terry,

Chelsea furnished a steel gasket with the PTO which, according to their installation instructions, should provide the proper back lash when bolted to an Allison World transmission. (The Chelsea PTO part number specifies fitment to an Allison World transmission). So it looks like I'm good at the PTO to Allison interface. The question I have is the PTO to Sauer-Danfoss Pump interface. The original installation used a paper gasket. The new Pump didn't come with a gasket. I'm thinking RTV should work find. The only thing that this gasket does is prevent the spline grease from leaking out.

After reading the installation instructions, it appears the paper gasket is required only for the case of a "wet spline" lube system. I'm not doing this - the splines will be greased; therefore, I don't think a gasket isn't necessary.

Last edited by davidmbrady; 06-15-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Added wet spline installation annotation.
Old 06-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
I'm installing my new chelsea pto and sauer-danfoss hydraulic pump. The old setup used a paper gasket between the pump and the pto. The gasket keeps the spline grease from seeping out. The new pump didn't come with a gasket. I suppose I could make one but I wonder if one is really needed. Alternatively I could use an RTV Gasket Maker. Anyone have a favorite technique or product that might work in this application?

BTW, the splines on the old PTO and the old Pump were so worn they barely engaged. It's hard to imagine them lasting much longer. Keep those splines greased!
You can never over lube them ..... pump it in and let it expel through the vent on the top. Do it every couple of thousand miles. David, I cant remember if I had a gasket or not when I replaced my pump. I do remember the spline in bad shape as a result of non lubrication.
Old 06-16-2010
Forum owner

we need pics of this,can one of you help with that?
Most of the guys here may not know where the PTO is,or where to grease it.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-17-2010
pgchd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
we need pics of this,can one of you help with that?
Most of the guys here may not know where the PTO is,or where to grease it.
David or Slim, Randy's suggestion would be a BIG help along with a part number.....I've looked and looked for that fitting and can not find it unless it is behind a "plate" on the PTO or I have a different PTO........hence the pn, thanks
David...... suggestion.if you have a local auto parts house that isn't a "chain store" but more " local /good ole boy" you might fine gasket paper in sheets and you could cut your own......believe it or not I found that type of store where we live,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it's been a life saver for this thing, take care and good luck!
Old 06-17-2010

Smile

Back in the old days we would use an old pizza box and a ball peen hammer then plenty of Permatex. It's ugly, but it'll work in a pinch.
Old 06-17-2010

Default Gasket Material

Dad was a Senior Master Sgt Air Force Mechanic w/ 40 yrs total experience. Watched him more than once build a gasket from a Manila Folder and Permatex. But the sheets of gasket Material available nowdays is prefered.
Idaho
Old 06-17-2010

Make sure you are using spline grease that is recommended. Shooting it with chassis grease results in problem. Spline grease has a consistency that makes it stick to the spline and stay there.

Mfg of spline grease available on web. May be hard to find locally. Go to a lube distributor. 3mo or 5000 miles on the 450. Better do it every time or BIG bucks later.

Garages will say chassis lube ok. NOT. No similarities to spline grease.
San Marcos, CA

Old 06-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgchd View Post
David or Slim, Randy's suggestion would be a BIG help along with a part number.....I've looked and looked for that fitting and can not find it unless it is behind a "plate" on the PTO or I have a different PTO........hence the pn, thanks
David...... suggestion.if you have a local auto parts house that isn't a "chain store" but more " local /good ole boy" you might fine gasket paper in sheets and you could cut your own......believe it or not I found that type of store where we live,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it's been a life saver for this thing, take care and good luck!
http://globaldrivetrainsupply.com/ch...-ten-bolt.html

Part Number 267XDFJP-M5GK

pic of grease fitting:

Forgive me for not cleaning it up for the picture