Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 06-26-2010

Default Toad Battery Charging

Just finished building/installing a base plate for our 2007 Wrangler. Now on to the next phase. The Wrangler owners manual recommends disconnecting the batter when towing 4 down. My SMI brake unit uses the battery for the vacuum pump so disconnecting the battery is not a good option. I located this http://www.lslproducts.com/ToadChargePage.html on the net. Anyone have experience with this unit? What have others done to keep the toad battery charged while going down the road?
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 06-27-2010

Curt , I would do nothing. The only time our toad battery has gone down was when we forgot to turn the ignition switch off. Most times when I forgot, the toad started anyway,
and we let it run for 10-15 minutes and we were good for another day on the road.
Old 06-27-2010

Curt,

I was looking for a solution like that myself. I pull a Dodge Durango and to unlock the steering I have to turn the key to a position which is not really "on" but it still drains the battery to dead in about 6hrs. I have been just disconnecting the battery with a switch while I tow but that really is a pain when you go to use it again because everything defaults, plus my break away system is defeated in the Durango while towing with no battery power.

I'm sure there is a much cheaper way like just using a diode of proper size but for 100 bucks they sure give ya a bunch of stuff to hook it up real nice.
lloyd.chaffin@att.net
Old 06-27-2010

Curt,

Sorry, I didn't answer your question at all. You just supplied me with another way to spend more money which I don't have by buying another gadget for my money-pit.

No, like Bill said you need not to worry about battery drain. I also pull a Jeep Wrangler when I am hunting and they are perfect for towing. Even though you have to turn the key to unlock the steering (which I wish they would change) it turns NOTHING on. The only drawback is the dang key is in the tow car when you stop some where. You will have no battery drain. I have pulled a Wrangler for 5 days without disconnecting it and when I go there it started right up.

Your break away brake will only use the battery if it is activated.
lloyd.chaffin@att.net
Old 06-27-2010
95 WB 42

Wrangler Toads

We pull a 1998 Wrangler I removed the steering lock feature it's just 1 screw holding a spring,fairly easy.
Remove the lower plastic cover,2 screws torx#20 on mine. Look at the bottom of ignition switch you'll see a small screw remove the screw and the spring will fall out[may need to unlock ignition and shake wheel] I taped the spring to inside cover for replacement for the NO-Next Owner.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 06-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wimberley View Post
Wrangler Toads

We pull a 1998 Wrangler I removed the steering lock feature it's just 1 screw holding a spring,fairly easy.
Remove the lower plastic cover,2 screws torx#20 on mine. Look at the bottom of ignition switch you'll see a small screw remove the screw and the spring will fall out[may need to unlock ignition and shake wheel] I taped the spring to inside cover for replacement for the NO-Next Owner.
Thank you everyone for your replies. The problem for me is the SMI brake system "vacuum pump" requires 12V power. Without it working (powered) the toad brakes will not apply.

Ed, you did what I would like to do on our 2007...removing the steering lock feature. I've heard the 2008-2010 Wranglers do not have the steering lock. Anyone have knowledge?
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 06-27-2010

Lloyd is correct about towing a Wrangler.
We've been towing an 04 Wrangler all over the country since it was new. In fact we even towed it away from the dealership the day we bought it. The first notch on the key switch does nothing more than unlock the steering column. Nothing electrical is activated. Even the odometer doesn't work. So it doesn't accumulate towed miles. We've had 4 to 6 days in a row where the Jeep was never started or driven. Just stayed connected to the coach. Battery never ran down and Jeep always started with no problem.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 06-27-2010

we pull a pt cruiser
we obtained a new key without the chip from the lock smith $2.25
that enables you to unlock the steering wheel and turn on the ignition if so desired BUT you will not be able to start the car,
the only other thing is we have to lock the car manually with the regular key
the car senses a key in the ignition so the electric locks will not work
another funny thing is people remind us the key is in the ignition
WHY were they looking in the car in the first place???

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 06-27-2010

Evidently on some of the 2008 and later JKs, Jeep removed the column lock on the auto trans equiped Wranglers.

This thread provides info on which fuse to pull if that would help. In addition, one guy says he does not disconnect the battery on his 2007 and hasn't had a problem. Link: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...l-lock-426407/
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 06-27-2010

I am just figuring out this towing thing so, I now all BB's are different : My connector has 12 volts at one of the contacts so with a fuse can this keep your battery charged? OR, can you install a battery isolator and run one end with fuse to towed jeep? If you have an old battery boiler pull an old diode out of it and make your own isolator. Also locking and unlocking the steering wheel? why do some just unlock it and some tie the wheel so it will only turn so far?
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!