Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 12-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somervillebus View Post
Not sure but I think all LX's, LXi's, M380's, and 450's have this 3M mask. Don't know about the others PT's and so on. I do know without it you would be touching up paint on the front every trip out. Plus if you have 4-5 different colors on the front well ....

I received the mask I ordered and installed it. It was a nice fit, easy install. I also did the head light covers, hopefully it will last another 10-11 years at which time I may not even care Kurt, don't give up ... I have no finger nails left
Slim

What was the difficulty aligning the mask material before applying? Om the 380/450 there is a lot of edge cuts and so forth.

Dan
San Marcos, CA

Old 12-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somervillebus View Post
I been putting off removing the clear mask on the front of my coach ... it needs to go ...so here I go. If you are contemplating doing the same, don't be deceived in thinking your going to peel up a corner and just pull it off, not after 10 years in the sun your not. that would be to easy.

Anyway here's a couple of pictures I took along the way that may help, maybe someone has a better idea. I took about an hour and 1/2 to remove the center section. It certainly beats taking it to a body shop where most would look at it and say "that needs to be repainted" $$$$$$.

If the mask pulls the paint off with it, which is certainly a possibility, than a repaint will be in your future. So consider that before starting

BTW: anybody have a good source for a good heavy mask. I have one I got off ebay pretty cheap but it looks too thin for me. 3M has some good mask, any other sources would be appreciated.

Thanks
OH yea, and by the way ... take it slow removing it, you wont have a choice.

Slim

I seem to have clearcoat coming off my 450 using 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover (p/n 08984 ). Also tried denatured alcohol. Neither works well. Lacquer thinner, no too. A fellow 450 owner used Collins and Aikman adhesive reducer and said it worked well also.
Cannot get either in CA. How did the DTR product work? Were you able to just wipe off the adhesive easily?

Thanks
Dan
San Marcos, CA

Old 12-14-2010

To reapply, do not remove the adhesive covering until you have taped the replacement piece in place fairly well. That way you reach behind the piece and start to peel the protective layer off, smoothing as you go. The tape will hold it in place until you get it stuck down.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 12-14-2010

You may want to look into "Crystal Clear 2K Chip Guard". I had the 3M product that was going bad. It took a lot of paint off during the removal, so new paint and the above product. So far, I am very pleased.
[I]1997 WANDERLODGE - 43'[/I]
Old 03-05-2011

The 3M mask is applied with soapy water just like any other type of decal. Spray the back of the film as you pull it off the paper and also spray surface in which it will be installed. Note: only use a few drops of Joy or equivalent on spray bottle or discoloring may occur behind film once dried.

Once film is in place smooth out with ribber squeegee to remove air bubbles, also spray surface of film to help squeegee glide easily across film. Take your time .. don't do it in the sun for obvious reasons.

When your completed you WILL see little bubbles under film...not to worry a day or three in the sun will dry those up. Notice I said small bubbles large ones will have to be removed either by lifting an re-squeegeeing, or taking a needle/pin and making a hole for water/air to pressed out.

Again its time consuming. I you don't feel comfortable doing it DONT as I said earlier you could get in real trouble removing this material. Results may vary.
Old 10-29-2011

It looks good but i tried a heat gun and when i pulled the paint came with the film. I hit a dear with it and have to do some paint work. Do u know where you can get parts for the bluebird wanderlodge lxi 2003. I have been looking alover for the headlights marker lights and covers like on your bird thank you dean
Old 10-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy dean View Post
It looks good but i tried a heat gun and when i pulled the paint came with the film. I hit a dear with it and have to do some paint work. Do u know where you can get parts for the bluebird wanderlodge lxi 2003. I have been looking alover for the headlights marker lights and covers like on your bird thank you dean
Call Parliament Coach...they can usually get you what you need.
Old 10-29-2011

WE can Get the Headlight Covers for LX and LXI
Also the Bar for the Generator Cover

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 10-29-2011

Ok guys, I did the same miserable job about 2 years ago, that is removed the 3M mask and found that a Wagner wallpaper removal steamer worked well, but time consuming. It removed the glue as well. My son a professional window tinter tried the heat gun first, but it didn' work as well. My dark green front end had baked all winter in the Desert sun facing south for 8 years and therefore got extremely hot while in CA.in the winter, making it especially hard to remove. It took about 6 or 7 hours just for the upper portion above the lights and bumper areas.
My son could provide vinyl diamond shield material at a reasonable cost if anyone is interested in doing it themselves. Or if you are near Seattle he could do the job at a reduced cost as he works out of his home.
Old 10-30-2011

OK guys, I too did remove my 3 M mask on my 98 Lxi with a lot of sweat. Our 98 bird spent the winters facing south in the California Desert and got cooked really well over the years, as the paint color underneath is dark green.
My son is a window tinter and tried to remove the mask with a heat gun, but I found that my method worked better and cleaner as I used a Wagner wall paper steamer to remove the vinyl. It comes off with the glue as well so clean up is not a big issue.
In any case it is a nasty job to remove the mask as it comes off in bits and peaces.