Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 09-05-2010
Gardner

Default Generator compartment

Today I tackled the generator compartment. I have a supply of sound profing material from Stephen, and a scraper. THe generator draw was removed to service the generator, so it seemed like a good idea to take advantage of the access.

Once I stuck my head and body into the compartment, I noticed that the AC connection from the breaker box to the gennie control box was exposed. The conduit had pulled out of the connector leaving a few inches of space where the conductors were exposed. Moving the tray in and out would eventually result is damaging the insulation and causing a short. I thought about just pushing the conduit back into the connector, but it would have forced extra cable into the breaker panel. Somehow I think it was not done right in the first place. So I purchased new conduit and replaced the old. It should last another 30 years

I also replaced a lot of the insulating covers for the other wireing between the coach and the gennie tray. It had worn thin or completely disentegrated on a lot of places.

I then commenced scraping the old glue and other junk from the surfaces. This is a thankless and messy job. I included some pics of the first scraping results, tomorrow I will try to clean it up a bit. I have an idea for suporting the sound profing material on the top to keep it from falling down over the years, but I will reveal that plan tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gennie-1.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	6457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gennie-2.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	6458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gennie-3.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	6459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gennie-4.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	6460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gennie-5.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	6461  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-05-2010
Administrator

Gardner,

From the pic's the compartment looks clean, Stephen's insulation will stick with no problems, The glue just does not like oil. Remember Ya get just one chance to stick it. I also used the heavy duty 3M spray glue to butt the ends together, & in some difficult areas. 5 years and it is still stuck.
Old 09-05-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Today I tackled the generator compartment. I have a supply of sound profing material from Stephen, and a scraper. THe generator draw was removed to service the generator, so it seemed like a good idea to take advantage of the access.

Once I stuck my head and body into the compartment, I noticed that the AC connection from the breaker box to the gennie control box was exposed. The conduit had pulled out of the connector leaving a few inches of space where the conductors were exposed. Moving the tray in and out would eventually result is damaging the insulation and causing a short. I thought about just pushing the conduit back into the connector, but it would have forced extra cable into the breaker panel. Somehow I think it was not done right in the first place. So I purchased new conduit and replaced the old. It should last another 30 years

I also replaced a lot of the insulating covers for the other wireing between the coach and the gennie tray. It had worn thin or completely disentegrated on a lot of places.

I then commenced scraping the old glue and other junk from the surfaces. This is a thankless and messy job. I included some pics of the first scraping results, tomorrow I will try to clean it up a bit. I have an idea for suporting the sound profing material on the top to keep it from falling down over the years, but I will reveal that plan tomorrow

Good work Gardner, I used screws and fender washers to help hold up the insulation sheets on the roof of the generator compartment, which has since been covered with AURALEX FOAM, which is a less expensive form of sound deadening material that what the later model 'Birds came with.

If you decide to use more sound deadening foam be sure to purchase those that have the fire retardant blended into the foam when it is manufactured and not sprayed onto it afterward. I found my Auralex Foam on eBay.

NH Bill has done a excellent job on soundproofing his coach also.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 09-05-2010
Gardner

John,
Since I have installed a tile heating system on the kitchen floor, I don't want to screw anything into the floor from below. I don't want to accidentally short the conductor. For now, Stephens material will do. If I decide to go for a more high tech solution in the future I will check out your installation. I do plan to use sheet metal screws and big fender washers on the sides.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-05-2010

Gardner- I have plywood screwed and glued to the ceiling. This allows for a better mounting substrate and absorbs a little more of the sound too.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 09-05-2010

What I used on my Doghouse to hold the old stuff on till I replace it is this.
I took a piece of 1/4 round bar, and formed it around the top of the dog house, and welded washers to that, and secured it using whatever exsisting bolts that were there. the rod sandwiched the foam to the doghouse and it holds it in place well.
I guess if you don't have a welder handy, you could always hammer the ends of the rod flat, and drill holes in that to run the bolts through
Old 09-05-2010
Gardner

OK, I guess I have to reveal my plan.

I have a Mig welder and a Plasma cutter. I plan to use 1/4 inch rod which will be welded to a piece of angle iron and connected to the existing metal flange above the outside edge of the compartment. Three lengths of rod will extend to the rear of the compartment and rest in the supports that rest on top of the frame. Pics will follow tomorrow.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-05-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
John,
Since I have installed a tile heating system on the kitchen floor, I don't want to screw anything into the floor from below. I don't want to accidentally short the conductor. For now, Stephens material will do. If I decide to go for a more high tech solution in the future I will check out your installation. I do plan to use sheet metal screws and big fender washers on the sides.
Gardner,

With all due respect, I'd reconsider. Others have tried Stephen's material in the genny compartment and have ended up with a noisier genny. It isn't nearly as good at attenuating sound waves as the material that John used. It will reflect rather than absorb. It's all about creating destructive interference.
Old 09-05-2010

Gardner.... if you can, make sure you use nuts and bolts, instead of sheet metal screws
Old 09-06-2010
Forum owner

Gardner,keep up the good work.
Thats about all i can say or do to help you!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com