Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 09-18-2010
Gardner

Default special glasses

This pertains to those of us who are getting older or who need glasses at a younger age.

One of my most appreciated tools is my 'double D' glasses. My cousin, who is a carpenter, turned me on to them. They are tri-focals, but the top and bottom lens is for reading, and the center one can be for distance or perhaps, a little beyond reading (like computer glasses, where the center is set to read the screen further away than normal book reading distance).

How often do you tilt your head way back to focus on something you are working on that is above you? These are great for getting an eye on things when you are in an awkward position, or the task is overhead.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-18-2010

Ever wear your bi focals up side down? Helps in close overhead work.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-19-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
This pertains to those of us who are getting older or who need glasses at a younger age.

One of my most appreciated tools is my 'double D' glasses. My cousin, who is a carpenter, turned me on to them. They are tri-focals, but the top and bottom lens is for reading, and the center one can be for distance or perhaps, a little beyond reading (like computer glasses, where the center is set to read the screen further away than normal book reading distance).

How often do you tilt your head way back to focus on something you are working on that is above you? These are great for getting an eye on things when you are in an awkward position, or the task is overhead.
Gardner,

You triggered an old memory, My Father in the 60's always had a pair of glasses
with the bifocal on top and bottom of the lens.
Old 09-19-2010
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

I wear daily contacts. When I'm going to be working up close on a project and know I will be there for a while, I put an "up close lens" (my left side) in both eyes. If I add my magnifiers I'm ready to do surgery!

Seems like every year the letters keep getting smaller! Getting older has its advantages...ya right!

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 09-19-2010

Rick, I've done that a few times out of desperation(wear the glasses upside down). Several years ago after being upgraded to stronger lenses, I took the old pair and added some length to the nose piece and bent the side arms in the opposite direction. Worked pretty good for occasional use.
"The Aviary"
Old 09-22-2010

The "double D's" are called Occupational Bifocals. I'm pretty sure you have to have the same power on top as on the bottom, but they work well. Flipping your glasses over works well if you don't have much astigmatism, otherwise it skews things pretty heavily. There are pretty good bifocal contacts out there for people without much astigmatism. There are even brands that are approved for long term wear (FDA approved for 1 month continuous and another for 1 wk continuous with monthly replacement).

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support