Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 10-05-2010

Question The Ideal Battery bank for a 4000watt inverter?

Hey guys, Would love to hear your input on what you think the ideal house battery bank should consist of, to run a Xantrex SW4024.
(24Volt 4000watt unit).

I was thinking about maybe a set of 4 LIFELINE GPL-8DL ran is series/parallel for 24volts. I found these batteries just looking online. Are they good, or should I get something better?

This is the inverter.

The batteries im thinking about.
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-05-2010
davidmbrady

That's a pretty nifty inverter. It's pure sine wave and will sync up to grid power which means it can lock it's phase to the grid phase, raise it's voltage, and push power back into the grid. Theoretically if you're camped with only 30A of shore power, this inverter can back off it's battery charger, draw from your batteries, sync to the shore power and power loads above and beyond your 30A shore power limitations. This way if you're wife wants to run the hair dryer she can also run the microwave without blowing the the 30A shore breaker, excess power is delivered by the inverter. Vantare and Parliament Prevost converters wire the SW-Series this way.

Lifeline AGM's are awesome batteries.

Last edited by davidmbrady; 10-05-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2010

Thats cool...thats why I am using the 4024 for the coach, but I also have a Prosine 2.5, 2500watt unit as well sitting here.

I am really just trying to figure out how many batteries, and which batteries to use.

The Xantrex 4K is a 24volt system, and the Prosine 2.5K is a 12volt system. Maybe i can find a way to use BOTH?
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-07-2010
davidmbrady

Sizing the battery bank is an interesting question. You want the battery bank to be large enough to last you thru the park quiet hours, say 8pm to 8am, and you want the generator to be large enough to charge the batteries quickly and without excessively depriving you of house power during non-quiet hours. Since you already chose a generator, we get to work backwards. Say you want your 7.5KW genny to be able to charge your battery bank in 4 hrs. (There's only 12hrs of non-quiet time and you don't want the genny to use all of it, so 4 hrs seems reasonable) You're genny can provide 30 Amps per leg. How much of this can we devote to the charger? Good question. If you want to run an A/C, then you probably don't want to devote more than 10A per Leg to the charger, and you probably only want to use one Leg. This equates to 100A at 12V DC at the Xantrex, say 80 A taking into account inefficiencies. This means the charger can provide 320Ah over a 4 hr period, but you need to put 120% of the charge back into a battery to get the battery to 100%, or 320/1.2=266Ah. This means that If your batteries are at 50% DOD (Depth of Discharge), then your battery capacity can be 2*266 or 533Ah. One AGM 8D battery is 255Ah. So you're genny can conservatively charge 2 AGM 8D's using 10A from one of it's 120V legs.

Last edited by davidmbrady; 10-08-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Sizing the battery bank is an interesting question. You want the battery bank to be large enough to last you thru the park quiet hours, say 8pm to 8am, and you want the generator to be large enough to charge the batteries quickly and without excessively depriving you of house power during non-quiet hours. Since you already chose a generator, we get to work backwards. Say you want your 7.5KW genny to be able to charge your battery bank in 4 hrs. (There's only 12hrs of non-quiet time and you don't want the genny to use all of it, so 4 hrs seems reasonable) You're genny can provide 30 Amps per leg. How much of this can we devote to the charger? Good question. If you want to run an A/C, then you probably don't want to devote more than 10A per Leg to the charger, and you probably only want to use one Leg. This equates to 100A at 12V DC at the Xantrex, say 80 A taking into account inefficiencies. This means the charger can provide 320Ah over a 4 hr period, but you need to put 120% of the charge back into a battery to get the battery to 100%, or 320/1.2=266Ah. This means that If your batteries are at 50% DOD (Depth of Discharge), then your battery capacity can be 2*266 or 533Ah. One AGM 8D battery is 255Ah. So you're genny can conservatively charge 2 AGM 8D's using 10A from one of it's 120V legs.
Now THAT is an explanation
Thanks for the breakdown.

So if I went with 4 8D batteries it would draw about 20Amps from the Gen to charge it in 4 hours? Thats alot of charging power.

I can probably only afford 2 anyways....this thing is going to drive me to the poor house getting completed
Cummins ISX-650HP

Last edited by Morefire; 10-08-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-08-2010
Former Bird Owner

By way of comparison, my '95 had six 4-D AGMs from Fullriver. These were rated at 210AH (20 hour rate), 1320 CCA. These batteries drove dual 2500 Watt inverters (i.e. a total of 5000 watts). The all-electric coach could draw these down over night -- a 12 hour "quiet time" was no big deal (8 pm - 8 am) but the 14 hour quiet time in the California state park was a royal pain (8 pm -10 am) as the batteries were drawn to critical levels in that time period. (Ultimately, I learned some "tricks" for better power management.)

The same brand model 8-D batteries are rated at 260 AH/1525 CCA. So they're not that much more powerful.

The 4-D weighs about 150 lbs each, the 8-D weighs about 200 lbs each -- so weight awareness is important. These ought to be positioned behind the drive/tag axles.

Note: I purchased my 4-Ds from http://www.dcbattery.com
They also carry the lifeline brand.

I'd suggest you'd need at least 4 of the 8-Ds -- but even then you'd have less available storage than 6 of the 4-Ds.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com