Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 10-15-2010

Default TV Upgrade - Front

Here are some initial pictures of the upgrade of the front TV. I replaced the tube TV with a 32" Samsung LED HDTV. It fits absolutely perfectly between the cabinet doors. It is so thin that it looks built in. I have it mounted to a swing arm. The TV can be swung forward and to the side allowing access to the components in the cavernous space that the old TV occupied. In that space is two DirectTV DVR's, a mini desktop PC with external hard drive and there is room for more such as Apple TV or whatever. It is nice using the TV as a computer screen with a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. I will have my solar system software running on the PC and I can see a graphical view of my solar system and electrical system status.

I had to slightly and easily modify the original wood cabinetry in the hole. I made it so the shelf in the hole was level as opposed to the incline that it previously had to angle the old TV downward. I still have to shim the swing arm ever so slightly to compensate for the minute droop of the TV due to gravity. I also want to install a black metal mesh screen along the very top to allow heat to escape from the component area. Previously I had run multiple HDMI, ethernet, component cables throughout the coach in preparation for the install. The TV and other components can connect to the internet for various reasons. I can view the DVR's on either the front or rear TV as well as the Blueray DVD player (in the rear) on either TV.

I will post a separate thread about the rear TV upgrade. We have a 46" Samsung LED HDTV back there with an awesome 5.1 surround sound system. Our bedroom is our movie screening room complete with the original powered curtains that close like in the old theaters.. I will soon be looking for a good carpenter to design and build the cabinetry in the rear TV hole that now holds the surround sound system components as well as Playstation and Apple TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03716.JPG
Views:	783
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	6888   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03720.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	627.7 KB
ID:	6889  
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 10-15-2010

Looks great, Jerry.
Ernie- currently in Clinton, Tn heading for Pine Mountain, Ga in am.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 11-06-2010

Default Front TV Final Installation Done

I finished the final installation of the new front TV as well as all the components that go in the cavity that the old TV occupied. Instead of installing a black grill at the top of the TV, I decided to install a Samsung sound bar which integrates perfectly with the Samsung LED TV. I decided that the sound bar would give a good sound experience along with the wireless sub woofer that operates with it. The sound is excellent.

In order to install the sound bar on top, I had to lower the TV a few inches. It all worked out well and still looks beautiful and built in. Behind the new TV in the cavity is 3 DirectTV DVR's, mini desktop PC with wireless keyboard and integrated wireless mouse function, 2nd gen AppleTV, Motosat Satellite Dish Controller, Terk omni-directional digital TV antenna. One of the DVR's can be easily removed and placed in our 4x4 Roadtrek when we go on outings in the Roadtrek which we dub our "escape pod" and the Bluebird the "mothership".

Everything is controlled by a Logitech universal remote with color touchscreen. It is quite the modern and sophisticated system. Our Bluebird is shaping up nicely with all the electrical and electronic upgrades we have been doing. We are now ready to embark on the interior redo with new couch, driver, passenger seat fabrics. We will be replacing the front windshield pleated privacy shade with motorized combination privacy screens and adjustable sun screens for driving into the sun. The rope lighting has to be replaced too as some bulbs are starting to burn out after 16 years of use. The front paint clear coat needs some TLC as well as touchups all around. New holding tank level system, Primus system electrical heat upgrade (if I can find the parts), and whatever other fun things I can think of.

Here are the final pics of the front TV:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03842.JPG
Views:	521
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	7128   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03843.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	7129   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03844.JPG
Views:	552
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	7130  
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 11-06-2010

I have primus parts

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 11-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I have primus parts
If you have the parts and instructions on how to add the optional electric heat to the Primus system, I will give you a call.

I had someone lined up years ago to install this at the Quartzsite rally and for some reason it didn't get done. I can't remember why. Do you guys think I might be able to get the assistance necessary to accomplish it this year at the gathering? I know nothing about the Primus system and I do know mine needs a cleaning badly.

"Teach a man to fish". So if I could get someone to show me once then I can pass along the knowledge to others I meet.
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 11-06-2010

I believe Rodger Burke will probably be there at Q. I know he is an Aqua Hot guy- maybe he can help.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 11-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryKessler View Post
If you have the parts and instructions on how to add the optional electric heat to the Primus system, I will give you a call.

I had someone lined up years ago to install this at the Quartzsite rally and for some reason it didn't get done. I can't remember why. Do you guys think I might be able to get the assistance necessary to accomplish it this year at the gathering? I know nothing about the Primus system and I do know mine needs a cleaning badly.

"Teach a man to fish". So if I could get someone to show me once then I can pass along the knowledge to others I meet.
How about a Webasto unit? Burns diesel. The previous owner of our coach converted the Primus to a Webasto Scholastic Heater.

Regards,
Liz
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 11-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandLiz View Post
How about a Webasto unit? Burns diesel. The previous owner of our coach converted the Primus to a Webasto Scholastic Heater.

Regards,
Liz
Maybe when the Primus breaks and parts are impossible to find and/or are too expensive. My Primus heater units work great and are extremely efficient. For the time being, I would like to keep it and clean it as well as install the electric option. I am going to call Stephen and I will find out if parts are still reasonable.

I believe they need a cleaning because they have not been cleaned in 6 years as well as a howling sound when on. I read previously that they might quiet down just a bit after a proper cleaning. So, again, if there is someone experienced at cleaning specifically the Primus system who will be at Quartzsite, please let me know as I could use some instruction.

It's good to know there is a conversion option should it become necessary. Thank you Liz!
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 11-07-2010

Nice TV install. Most impressive TV I've seen in a BB was a fellow I met at Q last year that had an electrically controlled drop down screen and a projection TV. SP owner. Ernie likely knows who I'm talking about. Talk about a wide screen. When you see that one you have to be impressed.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-07-2010
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Nice TV install. Most impressive TV I've seen in a BB was a fellow I met at Q last year that had an electrically controlled drop down screen and a projection TV. SP owner. Ernie likely knows who I'm talking about. Talk about a wide screen. When you see that one you have to be impressed.
Fred Belows had the SP with the big TV,hes a nut about TV and stereo systems!
Nut being used in a good way!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com