Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > RV Products Review

RV Products Review Do you use or know of a RV related product that you would like to give us your opinion of good or bad, just list it here and be as descriptive as possible about it and be sure to tell us where we can purchase it at.

Site Search:

Old 09-20-2017

Just a heads up on a couple of things with our Traveler.
We used to be with Direct for 12 years. They always told us that they would change our location no more than 6 times a month before they would start charging us.
Didn't like Direct when we were paying $110 per month for our channels and we would get emails from them saying if we had friends that wanted Direct, they would give them the same channels we had for $39 per month for 2 years! Couldn't get them to give us a break on our bill.
We changed to Dish and had a new Traveler put on in Quartzsite when we were managing the rv park there.
Paid around $1,800 for the install.
Since the guy who installed it was staying in our park, he shared some things with me.....namely that we didn't have to change dishes out if we didn't like Dish and wanted to go back to Direct.
He told me that the dishes were the same and I could go on Ebay and buy the horns for $30 bucks that had the Direct satellites on them and put them on our existing dish....said the box you would get from Direct (or Dish) would control the dish and save ourselves a BUNCH of $$$!!
Changing direction now...we were in Pasco WA at a county park, put up the dish and it hit a small (I thought) branch when searching for the satellites.
I learned that Traveler does not have some sort of detent that would stop the dish if it hit an object. It kept trying and destroyed the electronics in the base of the dish.
Had to buy another dish and have it installed.
Watch those branches!!
Old 09-20-2017
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird Bob View Post
We used to be with Direct for 12 years. They always told us that they would change our location no more than 6 times a month before they would start charging us.
I'm guessing you are not talking about changing locations, but rather changing local spot beams. Like I said, I'm guessing, because I have the national feeds and don't get locals. Unless you tell them, neither Dish nor Direct have any idea where you are. You could change locations 100 times per day, and they wouldn't know or care. When on the road there has never been a month that I changed locations as few as 6 times - we hit 19 locations on our latest 6-week trip.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 09-20-2017

Don't know, Don. You are the expert on this stuff. We wanted both national and local (for the area we were in) and that was what they told us.
Of course, that was a few years ago and things change.
Thanks for your input.
Old 09-20-2017
Geek

Yes, things change, and it is a reality that very few DirecTV support reps understand dns (distant network services, meaning national broadcasts) and local rules, which means that a lot of people can't get what they want, and others get things they aren't supposed to get. For example it is a legal violation to have both national and local broadcasts, or to have both coasts in HD, yet many have either or both. Also not legal in most cases to have nationals at your home and not mobile.

Dish lost their rights to broadcast nationals over violations like that. The only real difference between the two companies was that Dish openly defied the Feds and said we will do whatever we want. They lost all the way to the Supreme Court on that one. DirecTV has always said "These are the rules and we follow them" even when they don't.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1