Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 01-02-2011

Default Need Info On Pulling Bedroom Floor for Coolant Hose Replacement

One of the main reasons I came to Coachworx is to get my compressor coolant hoses replaced. I told them I would pull up the floor in the bedroom to save labor costs but before starting out cold I am hoping that someone tell me where to start and what to avoid in the process.

I may have not been doing it correctly but I did do a search and didn't see anything specific to accessing the engine through the bedroom on my WBPT40 8V92. I did print out Curt Sprenger's .pdf file about removing/replacing the thermostats and coolant hoses, and I realize that some people have replaced the compressor coolant hoses from underneath, but I think it will save me money to give the $100 an hour guys access from the bedroom also.

Any suggestions or links to previous threads would be appreciated. Thanks
(Previously Pair of Jacks)
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 01-02-2011

My 88 was pretty straight foward. Put the mattress in the hallway, remove the plywood section over the cover, remove all the screws and pull off the cover
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 01-02-2011
Forum owner

Jim,do you have a sideways bed or a north/south bed?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-02-2011

It's a sideways bed that you can walk around to get to the closet and drawers along the rear wall. I seem to remember that when I put in the new carpet there is a piece of plywood screwed down along the area in front of the rear closet and drawers. I am assuming that I should remove the matress and plywood bed platform above the water tank first to make everything that follows easier.
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 01-02-2011
Forum owner

Ok,since its a side bed heres what you have to do.
On the very back wall theres a baseboard box thing,6'' tall by 3'' wide or so,that has to come out,look for screws buried in the carpet.

Then the carpet has to come up off the floor,under the carpet is plywood,you will see the square that has to come up.
Under the wood is a sheet metal cover,it will bend up against the back wall,so its a big "L",take this metal panel up.(there may just be the metal panel here,no wood).

Now for Randys tips of the day!
The hole under the metal plate gives access to the alternator and the PS pump and the compressor,the hole is too small in most cases,and theres room to cut the hole bigger.
You can feel under the wood floor and feel the steel under the wood,take a saber saw and cut the hole as big as you can,as long as the floor metal covers the hole your good.
This will help a lot!
I did this to my 93,I cut the hole bigger and then i took some plywood and cut a piece that fits in between the bed and the wall,i covered it with carpet and now it just lifts right out,wood,carpet and all.

Removing the bed and the top of the bed pedestal will help too,i just slid the mattress over and squeezed down in the hole.
What I wanted to do was cut the overhang off the bed platform and hinge it so it would flip up and over onto the pedestal,that would help a lot.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-02-2011
Forum owner

Do the alternator belts when you in there.
Also,theres 2 hoses on the compressor,do them both,this is not a fun time!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-02-2011

Very helpful--thanks! Sounds like NH Bill has a lot of work ahead of him today--I will tell him he needs to start right away so I can inspect his work after my afternoon nap!

I will try and take pics along the way as it sounds like they would be helpful to others.

I'm thinking about not screwing everything back together until after next weekend as some people might find the top side of the engine interesting during the tech sessions at the Not-So-Mini-Rally?
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 01-02-2011

Default coolant hoses to compressor

Randy,

Tom Sorentino already gave me the heads-up on the compressor coolant lines on the 8V. I already looked it over and cannot be sure if they can be accessed from the bottom to remove the ends going to the engine. I think the ends on the compressor can be accessed from the trap door under the bed. This will be one of my first projects once the weather breaks un here in April. Tom was not sure as he had his done by a local shop in NY.
FMCA 149549
VB 1010
Old 01-02-2011
Forum owner

The compressor is way down in the hole on the 86PT,long arms will be needed to install those hoses!
On the one end above the starter,you have to do it from below,A pit or removing the starter is required.

Jims access hole is on the floor,yours is under the bed,your trap door will be maybe 24'' higher up that Jims,making it a long reach to work on the compressor.
A skinny helper on top of the tranny can do it!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-02-2011

Paul's Garage in York Springs did my coolant lines without removing the starter and without going thru the bed room floor. Apparently you need a very thin but long armed mechanic. Several of the fellows have been using this fellow for service work. I know he's worked for Shane, myself and also Paul Lazar. He's been able to handle every thing I've thrown at him and I think the charges are very fair. Steve, you might consider him, it's a drive from NJ but if you have a couple of projects it might be worth it. Ed is the name of the owner (why Paul's garage who knows) but we've all been happy with the place. I have to get my bus back down there for a little more work. He will not do engine or transmission rebuilds but the typical service stuff he'll handle. He repaired a bunch of air leaks for me and the coolant lines plus air dryer service etc.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold