Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 02-28-2011
Forum Moderator

Default LXi Engine Bedroom Access Panel

I'm late in reporting this modification and all I can claim as an excuse is my new puter and feeble camera/computer/internet ability. With the help of a good neeeeerd friend I've come up with the following pictures. In mid January Peter Haggins kindly invited me to his place with the express purpose of 'fixing a few things'. As we all know these events usually end up more involved than expected. That was this case but after many small problems Peter tackled the main objective which was to provide an engine access through the carpet in the rear of the bedroom. He and I stripped out the old carpet in 90 minutes with all staples removed. The next day Peter fashioned an access panel out of Bamboo complete with a frame of Bamboo. The entire paneling system rests on it's own weight and is easily removable with one hand. It is composed of three components. The single vertical inserts into a rabbit just below the closet and the large horizontal snugs up against it and keeps it in place. A small "key stone" strip of Bamboo keeps everything in place. After all this a local fellow who had only done one other motorhome in his life (Peter's) came in and recarpeted the entire bedroom, including the closet in two and a half hours. Total cost $590....$350 carpet....$150 install...Bamboo...$40...Tip $50. Here's the pictures. Thank you Peter for all your efforts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0175.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	441.4 KB
ID:	9191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0171.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	9192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0172.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	9193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	495.5 KB
ID:	9194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0170.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	9195   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0174.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	450.6 KB
ID:	9196  

Last edited by Rob Robinson; 02-28-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2011

Looks real nice, Rob.
Old 03-01-2011

The pictures do not look like my access area, which is under the bed. Does this LXI have a bed room slide out? I say it does not look like mine, because it looks like wardrob sliding doors above the access area.

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 03-01-2011
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
I'm late in reporting this modification and all I can claim as an excuse is my new puter and feeble camera/computer/internet ability. With the help of a good neeeeerd friend I've come up with the following pictures. In mid January Peter Haggins kindly invited me to his place with the express purpose of 'fixing a few things'. As we all know these events usually end up more involved than expected. That was this case but after many small problems Peter tackled the main objective which was to provide an engine access through the carpet in the rear of the bedroom. He and I stripped out the old carpet in 90 minutes with all staples removed. The next day Peter fashioned an access panel out of Bamboo complete with a frame of Bamboo. The entire paneling system rests on it's own weight and is easily removable with one hand. It is composed of three components. The single vertical inserts into a rabbit just below the closet and the large horizontal snugs up against it and keeps it in place. A small "key stone" strip of Bamboo keeps everything in place. After all this a local fellow who had only done one other motorhome in his life (Peter's) came in and recarpeted the entire bedroom, including the closet in two and a half hours. Total cost $590....$350 carpet....$150 install...Bamboo...$40...Tip $50. Here's the pictures. Thank you Peter for all your efforts.
Looks great Rob!

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 03-01-2011
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmar View Post
The pictures do not look like my access area, which is under the bed. Does this LXI have a bed room slide out? I say it does not look like mine, because it looks like wardrob sliding doors above the access area.
You're correct Richard. That is the sliding wardrobe door above. My 99 has a cross island bed and no slides. In the picture with the panel removed the silver sided insulation lies on the sheet steel that must be removed for access.
Old 03-01-2011

Very nice looking job, Rob. Those carpet access panels are a Pain to mess with.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 03-01-2011
Forum owner

I wanted to see the engine.
So,Rob.
Does this mean you can now find all those pics you took of babers genny?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-01-2011

Yep, I agree looks good Rob. Lets hope you don't have to go in there for anything... that could be the door to the real MONEY PIT