Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 04-12-2011

Default Planning for new wheels and tires

I have 9-20's on mine with split rims on the front and normal on the back. Tires are 10" wide by 40.2" diameter.

I would like to eventually have all aluminum 22.5 x 8.25 rims with some good radial tires - my teeth hurt for the first few miles with these bias plys!

My use of this bus is probably a bit different than most folks on this forum. I won't be doing any long distance travel. Local camping trips in this area involve dirt roads and of course there are a couple trips per year to the playa (dry lake bed).

I am thinking about a tire with some mild mud and snow type tread (for the drivers). I am also wondering if I can go a bit smaller in diameter (or the same) and wider with a tire that has a higher load rating so I can safely run lower tire pressures. This will give me a larger road patch for more traction (dry), flotation and a bit softer ride and some protection from stone cuts.

Also - is there any reason that I cannot replace the steers now and wait a bit for the drivers? This endeavor will cost more than I paid for this coach

Any experience or advice on sizes that are known to work? Criticism of my thinking on this?
84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)
Old 04-12-2011
Black Sheep Division

Talking

No reason why you can't do the steers first & then the drives. You can also do the steers (2 rims & tires), save up & buy two more rims & tires and put the steers on the drives & the new tires on the drive, while moving the remaining old set back to the steers, then finally buy the last set.

If you do the above, put the NEWER tires on the right (passenger, curb) side. Most roads are slightly lower on the edges than in the center. The newer tires will be slightly larger & help even out the coach.

Us po' folks got to help each other!

TOM
Old 04-12-2011

Thanks Tom

Nothins free - I could be making payments on a better Bird or making payments on upgrades and fixing things. I chose the latter

My to-do list is long and categorized into Safety, Needed and Wishful. Steer tires are #1 on the safety list.
84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)
Old 04-12-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric View Post
...........................................I am thinking about a tire with some mild mud and snow type tread (for the drivers). I am also wondering if I can go a bit smaller in diameter (or the same) and wider with a tire that has a higher load rating so I can safely run lower tire pressures. This will give me a larger road patch for more traction (dry), flotation and a bit softer ride and some protection from stone cuts..................
Patric,

If you haven't already read this thread, check it out Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions > New Tires especially concerning the tire that you use and then deflate for the rear duals spacing, here is my post from that thread;

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 04-12-2011

Hi,
Possible safety concern with mixing. Google "mixing radial and bias tires"
Perhaps rear first?
Old 04-12-2011

Don t ever get into trouble with 2 different tires on a vehicle in most jurisdictions it is illegal and unsafe the lawyers would have a hayday
change all or none

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 04-12-2011
Black Sheep Division

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Don t ever get into trouble with 2 different tires on a vehicle in most jurisdictions it is illegal and unsafe the lawyers would have a hayday
change all or none
I am not sure about the laws on this but I did drive trucks for over 25 years all over the US and in some of Canada & Mexico. I have been through hundreds of inspections, local, state and federal. I was put out of service a number of times for real or perceived infractions, including once in Fayetteville, NC for having too much grease on the fifth wheel and my exhaust pipe not being tall enough. I would think someone would have said something about mismatched tires if there was a fine in it.

Not trying to be argumentative here, just something I have never run up against.

I also would not make the same suggestion to someone who is running long trips at highway speeds. Patric specifically said he was doing local trips involving off highway & dirt roads.

TOM
Old 04-12-2011

John,

Thank you for the reference. I had read the new tires thread and the 315's one but the others I missed. Good information. I need to get better at search techniques

Stephen and Ross,

Thank you. Good point. Goodyear just says not to do it on the same axle but others say not at all. Michelin says to avoid it but if you must to put the radial at the back.

I think I will wait until I can do them all. This just leaves me the the question of what size to select. Looking at the tire websites is making my eyes bleed

I don't really want to break new ground so what is known to work for my year and what is most popular (I don't want a tire most places don't stock)?
84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)
Old 04-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
I am not sure about the laws on this but I did drive trucks for over 25 years all over the US and in some of Canada & Mexico. I have been through hundreds of inspections, local, state and federal. I was put out of service a number of times for real or perceived infractions, including once in Fayetteville, NC for having too much grease on the fifth wheel and my exhaust pipe not being tall enough. I would think someone would have said something about mismatched tires if there was a fine in it.

Not trying to be argumentative here, just something I have never run up against.

I also would not make the same suggestion to someone who is running long trips at highway speeds. Patric specifically said he was doing local trips involving off highway & dirt roads.

TOM
I find lots of opinions on mixing in a google search but nothing saying whether it is legal or illegal for commercial vehicles. Goodyear, Uniroyal and Michelin all state it is not ideal and never on the same axel but if you must put them on the rear. It would seem they would have a caveat if doing this was illegal under some circumstances.

Since I am most anxious about replacing my steers and less anxious about the drivers I think I will just wait to do them all.
84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)
Old 04-12-2011
Black Sheep Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric View Post
Goodyear, Uniroyal and Michelin all state it is not ideal and never on the same axle but if you must put them on the rear.
I can offer a little real world experience here. I have driven several vehicles with mixed (bias ply & radial) tires & they tend to steer a little more squirrely than a vehicle that has only one type on it. Bias tires tend to stand straight when cornering. Redials will roll over on their shoulders a little. When those two effects are combined, it makes it harder to judge exactly how the vehicle will react in a given situation. It is especially difficult when one tire depressurizes suddenly. If the bias ply tire fails, the vehicle will react one way and if the radial fails, it will react another. Neither of these situations are usually relevant unless you are traveling at highway speeds. BTDT.

I don't think you will have any problems, whatever you decide.

TOM