Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-07-2015

Default External Regulator

When we traveled by cruising Sail Boat we replaced the built in regulator in our alternator with a Balmar external regulator. It had a profile for our House bank and did a much better job of keeping the bank charged than the stock built in regulator.
All a regulator does is control the output voltage of the Alternator by varying the exciter voltage to the alternator. It can control any size alternator. It doesn't have to be in the alternator it can be external and much smarter.

I have been considering this for my Spartan chassis/Cummins 8.3 engine motor home. Now the built in (dumb) regulator in the 160 Amp Alternator allows the House batteries to run down from the level the (smart) inverter/charger has maintained through charging all night. When under way the two battery banks are connected together when the battery combiner sees a charging voltage from the alternator. This voltage is however less than required to top up the batteries. So the topped up batteries run down (just a little bit) to the voltage level that the (dumb) regulator allows the alternator to charge the batteries.
With a smart regulator connected to the alternator the batteries could be maintained to "topped up" condition or if we've been boondocking (anchored out) the (smart) regulator would allow the alternator to "top up" all the batteries and keep them topped up.

Really much simpler than I make it sound.

If I had to pay a bunch for a regulator I'd get a smart regulator like a Balmar for the same money or less.

http://www.balmar.net/2012-product-guide-web.pdf

is the Balmar product line tech sheet. Regulators are toward the end.
If I was buying one I'd probably look to Defender industries first. Good prices and good people.

www.defender.com

I have no connection with either except I have used their products and been satisfied.

Keirn Rush
keirn@keirnrush.com

Keirn Rush, Carolyn Rush
and Mike the Wanderdog.
New Bern, North Carolina
keirn@keirnrush.com
252-249-2628
95 BMC 37

Last edited by Keirn and Carolyn; 07-07-2015 at 04:57 PM. Reason: too many words
Old 07-07-2015

Default regulator

I replaced mine a few months ago got it at ARP starters and alternators talk to Buddy 2650 west beaver st Jacksonville FL phone 904 353 9262 .tell him 12 volt or 24 volt cost 212 bucks also use supplied jumper, Bluebird did a poor job of exciting alternator.
Old 07-07-2015

Default regulator

Went to coach here is the part number for a 50dn 12 volt regulator, 230-12158 made in China
Old 07-08-2015

A possible source is Hans Auto Electric 248 349-7600 at 28003 Center Oaks Ct. Suite 109 Wixom, Mi.
They specialize in heavy truck electrical systems including tour and transit busses. I did not call to see if they have the part number you need.
Old 07-09-2015
Forum Moderator

I spoke with Delco Remy and confirmed that part # 10503807 is indeed obsolete. I then called Elreg to see what if anything they could supply. They are bringing in remanufactured ones from their overseas factory. These will arrive in late Sep. Anyone wishing a remanufactured unit can place an order now by contacting Micheal Catalano at Elreg. His information is

michael@elreg.com
Elreg Distributors Ltd
T. 1-800-387-4078 Ext 241
F. 1-888-858-9317
www.elreg.com

The part number for the remanufactured regulator is 402-7698 and the prices are $182.65 each or $160.73 each for 6 or more.
Old 07-09-2015
Forum owner

Heres a place to get the regulators.
They have some on order,an after market supplier.
Call to place an order,supply is limited.

Michael Catalano
Customer Service Representative
michael@elreg.com
Elreg Distributors Ltd
T. 1-800-387-4078 Ext 241
F. 1-888-858-9317
www.elreg.com

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujimo View Post
Went to coach here is the part number for a 50dn 12 volt regulator, 230-12158 made in China
Thanks Paul. I was just getting ready to order this when I saw the post from Rob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
I spoke with Delco Remy and confirmed that part # 10503807 is indeed obsolete. I then called Elreg to see what if anything they could supply. They are bringing in remanufactured ones from their overseas factory. These will arrive in late Sep. ...
Thanks Rob. I'm glad you had a contact. The person I spoke with at El pretty much said, sorry we can't help. I'll be placing an order tomorrow.

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677
Old 07-10-2015
Forum Moderator

Delco Remy got back to me this morning and they now say they are 80% sure they will be bringing back a 12V regulator for the 50DN by December this year. The engineer I spoke with and another engineer (original designer of the regulator) went into a three hour meeting with their boss who had no idea that the regulator was made obsolete. The lack of sales was the driving force behind the obsolete designation. It would appear that at the very least our various calls to Delco Remy have not fallen on deaf ears.

Last edited by Rob Robinson; 07-10-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujimo View Post
I replaced mine a few months ago got it at ARP starters and alternators talk to Buddy 2650 west beaver st Jacksonville FL phone 904 353 9262 .tell him 12 volt or 24 volt cost 212 bucks also use supplied jumper, Bluebird did a poor job of exciting alternator.
Thank you Paul. Buddy didn't have one, but got right on it and is having one shipped direct to me from West Virginia. Same price, great service.

PS, thanks for the tip from George Morris about testing the alternator. I had forgotten this, but I did and it's charging 300 amps. Buddy also confirmed this test.

BTW, my VoltMinder gave a very loud alarm when the Alternator was producing 300 amps and 18 Volts during the test.
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168
Old 07-14-2015

If I understand this correctly the jumper should not be used.

The problem BB had was not using a good voltage source for the regulator. They used a lead from the ignition switch that has a lot of other loads on it, i.e. not clean voltage. A few years ago the fix was to install a relay using the ignition input to power the relay coil and get good voltage to be switched to the regulator from a nearby positive post.

Later regulators included and integral electronic switch so the relay was not needed. Using the jumper from battery to ignition terminals on the regulator puts you right back to the original poor design, UNLESS your source is already through a regulator.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I'd not use the jumper and run a clean voltage source to the battery terminal on the regulator.